Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loud noisy fan need a new one

Options
  • 21-04-2008 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭

Theres a CPU fan on my friends PC and its so noisy, i think its the bog standard intel one..

Its 775 and an e6750 chip, with about a 3 or 4 cm clearance from the edge of the CPU fan to the power supply..

Is there a CPU fan that I can attach to the standard intel cooler that will be quieter? (from here : www.komplett.be)

Or do I have to take the whole heatsink off?

How complicated is this process is I have to take the heatsink off?

Can someone recommend me some coollers that aren't huge and will fit in the 3/4 cm clearance if I am able to remove heatsink etc and put in a new one, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I presume you have made certain that the noise is not being caused by a cable or wire interfering with the fan.
    You pretty much have to take off the entire heatsink because the Intel fan is clipped onto the body of it a certain way, and unfortunately you can't get fans with the same clips separately.
    Taking the heatsink off is pretty easy if it is the Intel standard one or similar fitting. You just twist the four retaining pegs 90 degrees anti-clockwise, give them a slight lift, and the heatsink should then be easy enough to remove by simply lifting it away from the motherboard. If it isn't then check the pegs again. If they are all out and it is still not coming away with gentle pressure, then there may be some thermal paste or a thermal pad between the heatsink and the processor which is sticking them together a bit. If this happens usually the best approach is to carefully rotate the heatsink slightly from left to right a few times. This usually breaks the stickiness.
    This video may help you become more familiar with the removal and replacement:
    http://video.yahoo.com/watch/78289/652859
    If space is a concern then the heatsink&fan that seems closest in size to the default Intel cooler is http://www.komplett.be/k/ki.aspx?sku=333985&view=detailed#ProductTabs
    which is only €8.
    This next one is better (which I can vouch for, as I have it myself), it is about the same width as the Intel cooler, but it is taller. i.e., the top is further away from the motherboard. This would possibly be a problem if you have a small form factor PC, because the heatsink might clash with the side panel. Most "standard" sized computer cases should have no problem.
    http://www.komplett.be/k/ki.aspx?sku=338133
    Both of those heatsinks have the same kind of fittings as the standard Intel heatsink, so you should be able to fit them easily enough.

Advertisement