Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of shaving legs..Any advice yay/nay, how, pain?

Options
  • 21-04-2008 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Cycling for me has got a bit serious lately and last week I had a bit of a fall, nothing major but enough to realise that cleaning debris from your shin is a dirty job. (many thanks to DLRCC and their un-maintained cycle tracks!).

So that set me to thinking..should I or shouldn't I? I'm no spring chicken but the pins is the one part of me that are in reasonably good nick so here it is..

How do I do it?
    Where do I stop???
    Is it sore?
    Is it worth it?
    Am I a weiner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I find it hard to understand just how exactly shaving your legs will improve things.
    it's not going to mean grit won't stick to your cut. thats still going to happen. i really don't see any advantage even out of performance. ie; aerodynamics,thermal control etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I only ever shave when doing a triath. For cycling alone it doesn't have a huge amount of advantages but throw in the swimming and it can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

If you really feel the need to do this, and I honestly can't see any good reason, then don't shave - you really don't want ingrown hairs!

Unless you're a Tour standard cyclist/Triathlete, there's no aerodynamic or medical advantage to shaved legs. You'd never see Lance Armstrong with an elastoplast...

Basically, Lycra is questionable enough, but justifiable and practical on any sort of decent ride - but add in shaved legs and you're getting into seriously dodgy territory! Like the feel of that lycra as you pull it over smooth legs eh?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

when you get road rash from a bad fall you need to keep changing your bandages, keep the wound wet as to prevent that awful pink skin from developing. so this is hard to do if you have hairy legs.

hairy legs look horrible.

waxing is better, and doesnt hurt that much.

also if you're entering stage races, it is good to get a rub down from a masseuse after each race. a rub down will hurt if you have hairy legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The reasons for shaving legs generally are one or more of the following
    *Cleaning road rash, less likely to get infections and faster healing time.
    *Massage hurts like f*ck at the best of times, with hairy legs its alot worse with the hairs getting pulled out regardless of the oil/lube used (main one for me)
    *Its a statement of intent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

I did use wax once, and man!!!!!! i would never ever do it again.
    In case you need to do it, use a razor, and now methods could vary. Shaving foam or just in the shower with gel, though shaving foam will be advantage.

The advantage of shaving legs is more that usually people thinks.
    If you fall, healing your legs will be faster and they have less chances to get infected, they are easier to wash in a rainy day. And in summer time they get sun taned easily.

I don't know about the aerodinamics, but I use to compete before, and i wasn't lance armstrong, but every single cyclist did it.

It feels weird the first times when you get dressed any pants or cycling gear, but you get used to it. No hair ever ingrown and my legs were less hairy than before shaving.

I do it, and it is not painfull.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

First time out, you'll need a few razors, shaving cream and lots of patience. It'll take an age. After that, it's a doddle, once a week in the shower. Where to stop is up to you. You can finish where your shorts start and go for the "hairy boxers" look or shave the whole leg, which looks less weird, but is more time consuming. Does help with the road rash alright, touch wood. There's no real aerodynamic benefit, which I think is some sort of urban myth amongst non-cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

There is *an* aerodynamic effect, but its so small as to be neglible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Well i hate shaving but still do it last year i changed to Elite spary on moose and works the treat once a week spray on 5 mins late wash off smooth legs. I love this because its the lazy man approach LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Read These, they may help...
    Why Do Cyclists Shave Their Legs?
    Leg Shaving Advice for Cyclists
    Fatty's a legend! Me, I'm just too hairy to start... I shave for tattoos and that's pain in itself, I am tempted every now and then, but it's more to freak out the missus :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Yeah.. the missus would be the biggest obstacle for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Not quite sure the missus would understand. It's weird enought that I'm wearing spandex in public! I've made a little pact with myself... If the racing takes off and I manage to reasonably good at it (by my own measure) then it'll be contemplated. I don't have very hairy legs anyway so I'm not quite looking like a sasquatch in lycra :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

ba wrote: »

hairy legs look horrible.

I think this is why most cyclists do it. Ok, so it makes cuts easier to clean, but then why the fake tan on top of that? Its all about the looks!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

fake tan???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

christ - i can only describe this thread as "worrying".
    brayblue24 wrote: »
    So that set me to thinking..should I or shouldn't I? I'm no spring chicken but the pins is the one part of me that are in reasonably good nick...

look, if you want to shave your legs, go for it. you don't need our permission or approval. you don't even need to cycle, and you definitely don't need to throw yourself to the tarmac once a year to justify your gilette habit. you should be honest with yourself though... if the thought of having silky smooth shins makes you feel all sexay, own up to it. it's the 21st century man - a brave new world of metrosexual ambiguity. you may find like minded individuals and helpful hints here. vanity is no longer anything to be ashamed of...

be careful though. a shaved leg (particularly one with fake tan on it) sends a very strong message to the world. to other cyclists it say "i'm fast and serious, race me!!" a dangerous message if you don't yet have a soigneur and fridge full of epo. to the non-cycling world it says something quite different that you may not actually want said. think about this.

then again, i once thought i'd never wear lycra :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

... I don't find hairy cyclists very attractive at all.
    My BF shaves, or sometimes use the Ozone shaving mousse ( you can find it in your bike shops, a bit pricey ).

VEET does a shaving cream as well, in their Men Range, costs about 7Euro a tube and I heard it's pretty good. ( you can find that in boots in the men section )

Guys, if you shave your legs, it's good to also scrub your legs to avoid skin problems ... yeah, just use your GF's Apricot scrub :)

Enjoy yoruselves girls ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Let me get this straight: We are all getting matching boards.ie jerseys and are now contemplating shaving our legs (for those who haven't already)??

The cycling forum is about two steps away from getting into a very big, naked pile ala South Park! Maybe we should merge cycling and BGHR for balance?

I don't know why I'm saying "we" and "our", I'm gettin' a a jersey but that's it!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    ...I'm gettin' a a jersey but that's it!

Once you feel how silky smooth they are you'll wonder why you didn't try it sooner.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

These threads are hilarious - throw in the other threads about what lubes we use and the bibs we wear and we've got a seriously camp sport going:)

I've shaved my legs for bandages (I swear!) about the knees and the ankles. Nothing to it. I wouldn't bother doing it again or regularly because I hate shaving my face anyway. I played a fair bit of soccer (hence the injuries) and the patchy shaved legs didn't draw any comments. But then, I didn't have bibs to wear at the time.

By the way OP, since nobody's asked - you are a bloke right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

BunchofMuppets.jpg

They don't seem to shave. yet, they look happy :) ... I wonder why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I was heading out yesterday and I have to admit it ocurred to me that cycling gear is more than a little...... effeminate..... Not that there is anything wrong with that..... or anything........ But then there is also the leg shaving thing...... and welll..... yeah....

*coughs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

LOL

Getting a great kick from these replies.

Lads (and ladies), I just want to know a) are there benefits, b) is it sore and c) how often does it become necessary to do?

People's views, homophobic or otherwise, really are their own concern. Having said that some replies here are hilarious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

brayblue24 wrote: »
    LOL

Getting a great kick from these replies.

Lads (and ladies), I just want to know a) are there benefits, b) is it sore and c) how often does it become necessary to do?

People's views, homophobic or otherwise, really are their own concern. Having said that some replies here are hilarious!!

a) Everyone has their ideas on benefits, I firmly believe there are none
    b) It doesn't hurt if you do it right (like shaving), but a nick can sting a bit!
    c) Depends on how hairy you are, but an average of once a week I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I think it's time to take off the bra's lads.

Unless you're going to the Olympics or doing the Tour De France I wouldn't really worry about it.

If you have to shave, be a real man and use a flame thrower!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Lighter fuel, a match and a bit of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Its funny reading this topic.
    I am living in Melbourne and so much more people shave there legs in every sport! Every cyclist does (bar me - I really couldnt be arsed).
    Most people who play AFL seriously do to and that isnt exactly the most 'camp' of sports. Also everyone wears those tights like the running ones, whether in gym or playing afl.
    Nobody sees it as being gay too. I really dont see what it matters to be honest but its just funny how different its tolerated down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

tunney wrote: »
    The reasons for shaving legs generally are one or more of the following
    *Massage hurts like f*ck at the best of times, with hairy legs its alot worse with the hairs getting pulled out regardless of the oil/lube used (main one for me)

If you're getting hairs ripped out of your legs, you need a better therapist(as in they should know that its hurting you) or to tell them to use more oil.
    Plus if you carry a lot of tension in your legs as most cyclists do, heavy pressure on massage is not going to work, it'll just add more tension, a good therapist should be asking you about pressure at regular intervals in the massage. So tell them to ease off if its getting sore, it should be relaxing not painful. Unless of course its sports massage your getting, or light physio!
    Little bit off topic but just thought it would help:D
    !

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

I think this is more of a lifestyle choice than cycling related, maybe you would find some good support on the personal issues forum.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Thanks for all the comments folks,

I have decided I will remain as God intended. TBH I think I was reacting to a minor enough scrape and realistcally I don't tend to fall off the bike on a daily basis so I will go with the laws of averages..anyway I was out this glorious morning and really the only thing that mattered was the sunshine and warmth.

Enjoyed most of the replies tho..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Lucky you. I'm stuck in an office looking out at the weather.

I want to go home!!!

Advertisement