Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Drinkers. Please Enlighten me.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Feeonaw

I'm a drinker, but am often the designated driver too and I don't notice any difference in the way people treat me wither way. If you're a non drinker who thinks everyones is having a go about them not drinking, then you must be hanging out with the wrong people TBH. My best friend is almost totally t-total, I've seen her drink once - and that was only one glass. It never ever gets commented on. I think some non drinkers exaggerate.

It seems to be a non-drinker thing to suggest it's mainly irish who question people not drinking, that irish people don't have fun without drink and that irish people go out to get plastered, if you insinuated that about any other culture you'd be accused of racism. I'm 24, I never go out to get plastered, most people my age don't. The people who go out to get plastered are generally 16 - 19, most people mature a bit after that. So again, the non drinkers whos friends go out just to get pissed - you really need some new friends.

My fiances father is a non drinker, I have had a few conversations with him about why and his answers were always very interesting. If he answered with "because I don't want to" I'd be insulted. The comment about people doing cocaine, I don't do it and wont allow it be done in my house. If people ask me why, I will tell them why. It's only conversation, it's incredibly rude to answer a genuine question with "I don't have to explain myself to you"

It's not rude to say it in a nice way. Some non-drinkers have very personal reasons...sometimes it can bit too much information. Would you think differently about someone who told you that they don't drink because they used to be an alcoholic? Would you feel sorry for someone who had a long-term illness and couldn't drink? There are many personal reasons and I strongly believe that everyone has the right to keep it to themselves if they want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Feeonaw wrote: »
    It's not rude to say it in a nice way.
    Thats true, but most non drinkers get defensive (sp?) about it - earlier in the thread someone said they hate when they are asked why they don't drink, why don't drinkers explain why they do drink - that is a ridiculous argument IMO. I'm sure if you genuinely asked, as opposed to using it as a quick snap question you would get an answer. conversation is conversation and there is nothing wrong with trying to get to know people. Just bcause you wonder about something does not mean you are challnging it, you are just asking. Being rude about it is just silly.

On a different note, I was at a party on sundy and a non drinker accused me of being a "plackard waver" because someone was taking a food order and i didn't order meat. This would be one of those non drinkers are shouting for people to respect their decisions and not question them......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Feeonaw

Thats true, but most non drinkers get defensive (sp?) about it - earlier in the thread someone said they hate when they are asked why they don't drink, why don't drinkers explain why they do drink - that is a ridiculous argument IMO. I'm sure if you genuinely asked, as opposed to using it as a quick snap question you would get an answer. conversation is conversation and there is nothing wrong with trying to get to know people. Just bcause you wonder about something does not mean you are challnging it, you are just asking. Being rude about it is just silly.

On a different note, I was at a party on sundy and a non drinker accused me of being a "plackard waver" because someone was taking a food order and i didn't order meat. This would be one of those non drinkers are shouting for people to respect their decisions and not question them......:rolleyes:

I'm a non-drinker and lots of people ask me why, and sometimes I'll tell them, sometimes I won't. It really depends on the person you're talking to. I'm a veggie too and I rarely get asked about that. Comments on being veggie are grand, usually funny...but comments on being a non-drinker can be harder to take and they can make you feel a bit alienated. Why would you want to know so badly anyway? Could you not just accept it that someone is a non-drinker or a vegetarian for their own reasons, some of which may be private? If they start getting defensive, you have to realise that they get asked all the time and it's a bit annoying...especially if you have something to hide and you're bad at lying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Firnheledien

Well I'm in uni now and 95% of my class are heavy drinkers.

And they are above 21, with some even up to 26! So I don't think that age may mellow out the drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

with regards the 1st comment basically saying they dont drink to get drunk, then why do you drink. I drink, i drink to get drunk, nothing to be ashamed of. Yer lying to yerself if you drunk with the sole purpose of the taste because id rather taste a rock shandy then a pint of heineken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Yer lying to yerself if you drunk with the sole purpose of the taste because id rather taste a rock shandy then a pint of heineken
    Why do you think non-alcoholic beer exists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

I always thought that non-alcoholic beer is used by drinkers who have the car with them or have a big day next day. They feel like they must have the illusion of drinking beer while keeping the alcohol levels down. Beer tastes disgusting really as does any alcoholic drink. So only beer drinkers would drink the non-alcoholic stuff. They are aquired taste. Has anyone ever seen a teetotaller opt for a becks non-alcoholic because it tastes delicious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Half agree with Karen there about the taste of non-alcoholic beer, there's a thread on this somewhere.

I don't mind people asking me bout not drinking but I don't always tell them why. Most of the time it's one of those questions people ask out of reflex and they get bored listening to the answer. Maybe they expect to hear some tragic former alcoholic tale or something. That typical Irish tradition of only being interested in ya if you've failed at something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭mondeo

I dont drink at all.... I watched my mother drink her life down the drain....I'm a sobar lad and thats the way I'm staying.

Advertisement