Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

alloys can they harm performance?

• 21-04-2008 3:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting alloys for my car. currently i have 13" wheels. was thinking of beefing up to 16" alloys. Will this change how the car handles etc? i was told larger alloys can have an effect on handling.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

They can, and effect fuel usage too. I recently went from a normal 13" to a 15" alloy, does a bit less on fuel and a bit slower at picking up but the car handles far better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Well i would sacrifice a few MPG if it means better handling.
    thanks for advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

alloys are dezzigned to let air get to the brakes , if you need alloys get actual 3 peice lightweights, because htere bigger you need more power to turn them...

basic physics

S.I.R wrote: »
    if you need alloys get actual 3 peice lightweights,

basic physics

Less physics more to do with gear ratios and torque available.

What are most alloys made out of compared to 3 piece? is there any compromise in strength?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Conor E

3 Piece wheels are big bucks. Rota do a nice range of lightwieght wheels and with a 40 pro tyre on it they are grand and strong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Larger wheels = better performance = common misconception.

Something to keep in mind - larger wheels normally weigh more than that standard ones. This weight often upsets the car's geometry and unless the change is minor, can be fairly detrimental to the car's performance.

Then again, most dont drive anywhere near the car's limit - so might not be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Larger wheels can slow down the car marginally

Chaz wrote: »
    Larger wheels = better performance = common misconception.

Something to keep in mind - larger wheels normally weigh more than that standard ones. This weight often upsets the car's geometry and unless the change is minor, can be fairly detrimental to the car's performance.

Then again, most dont drive anywhere near the car's limit - so might not be an issue.

This car won't be driven on its limit. I'm just putting alloys on merely for looks but i wanted to see if they would affect ride comfort, handling, performance.
    BrynW wrote: »
    Larger wheels can slow down the car marginally

I kinda figured now yea. Because the car was designed for specific size wheels. The only place i would need performance is take off at junctions though this comes more down to smart driving i guess

'Take off at junctions' is hardly an issue - so no worries then.

Just amused by the general thought (not you specifically, just in general) that the 'bigger' the wheel, the better the car will handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

When i got my alloys i noticed the front end was a bit more grippy, but i put this down to the alloys being wider and thus having more rubber on the road

• Advertisement

**EDIT**
    'Take off at junctions' is hardly an issue - so no worries then.

Just amused by the general thought (not you specifically, just in general) that the 'bigger' the wheel, the better the car will handle.

I'm pretty much puttting it down to width and tyre grip itself.

@hi_im_fil i just noticed your post now. sorry i pretty much just said what you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

one thing for sure is your speedo will give a tru reading! your speedo wil read about 7/8 mph faster than actual speed at the moment and because the wheels wil be bigger it wil you wil get a tru read

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Main problems going from 13's to the likes of 16/17's would be the handling will be worse.
    Higher fuel consumption but not hugely though, also if you car is lets say a Micra and you put 16's on, you would have to go for low profile tyres to stop rubbing etc then you will feel more bumps etc on the road.

I know certain car just feel better with bigger wheels than what they shipped with.
    Out of interest what car are you putting them on??

@stecleary how can you be certain of this? why would my speedo be currently not calibrated? this worries me now so instead of doing 30mph at the moment i would actually be doing 23?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

16" alloys are too big to be practical on an Accent. the arches are tiny and you need very low profile tyres on it. stick with 15" max.

getting 3 piece alloys on a 00 1.3 Accent has to be one of the most ridiculous suggestions ever.

jonny24ie wrote: »

I know certain car just feel better with bigger wheels than what they shipped with.
    Out of interest what car are you putting them on??

They're going on a Hyundai Accent. The max size i want is 16". Still have to find a decent pair. not getting much from boards

congo_90 wrote: »
    @stecleary how can you be certain of this? why would my speedo be currently not calibrated? this worries me now so instead of doing 30mph at the moment i would actually be doing 23?

Your speedo (as with almost all others) is calibrated on the basis of the circumference of your wheel. Once this changes, the speedo can and will most likely read a bit different. Not a big issue IMHO.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    16" alloys are too big to be practical on an Accent. the arches are tiny and you need very low profile tyres on it. stick with 15" max.

getting 3 piece alloys on a 00 1.3 Accent has to be one of the most ridiculous suggestions ever.

Well i did say 15/16" so i guess i'll settle for 15's if they'll look good. I don't want outrageously huge wheels which means when i've a full load they're touching my arches!! thats for certain. 15" sounds like a good compromise.

thats right, i can remember how to explain this but if read it in redline before! give me a few min il dig out the mag

**EDIT**
    Your speedo (as with almost all others) is calibrated on the basis of the circumference of your wheel. Once this changes, the speedo can and will most likely read a bit different. Not a big issue IMHO.

so in theory if i strapped on bigger wheels it will appear to be going slower than it is? at the moment the standard 13" wheels are on it.

Just out of curiosity... anyone know anyone selling 2nd hand alloys?

• Advertisement

it will appear to be going slower but wat your reading wil be closer to the real spee your traveling!
    here read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

speedos are about 10% off in either direction, so at 30 , you could really be going upto 33 or 27. usually there are 10% off by saying your going faster , so more than likely your going 27/28

stecleary wrote: »
    it will appear to be going slower but wat your reading wil be closer to the real spee your traveling!
    here read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer

A little off topic but what is the allowance in this country for speed limits?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Congo, what is the current size of wheel and tyre?

If you want better handling, be careful of overall width. You may also feel effects of more bodyroll. Lower profiles will HAVE to go on it in comparison to what would be on it now. Put up the overall size I will have a gander of what to go for. (if unsure, read on side of tyre wall, xxx/xx/r13)

Car isn't here at the moment. Its getting some repairs done. I suspect thoughg first digits are 165 or 175??? Not sure. I'll post up this evening the exact sizes

OK grand. 165/175 is a skinny enough wheel. You dont want to go much wider than that (if at all). But its going to be the overall profile size. Is it the standard wheels still on it? What year is it?

Its a 2000 model. Hyundai aceent gsi. I tried finding a service manual online but hadn't much joy there. I'd like to step it up to 195 which is still small but just right. and should fit

so now we're talking 15" alloys @195. i don't want a smaller width than that

Being honest, it will really depend on the profile of the tyre before you can definitley say what width you can go. 195 may be possible. 15's will be fine. You may looking at 185/45/15, but you will notice a much harsher ride in the car. Any other mods to suspension/breaks?

nope not a single mod. seems pretty small no? be a fair rough one. i just literally want a nice looking set of alloys something that looks like

asiatec-katana.jpg

I never knew there was this much involved in it. i just thought radius+width and profile would do. lol i'm not the best when it comes to wheels.

• Advertisement

They're the only things keeping you on the road, so needs to make sure theyre right! :pac:

Advertisement