Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

alloys can they harm performance?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Congo, you'll have no bother putting those katanas on your accent. I had them in 195/55 R15 on my 92 60bhp golf and there were no issues. I will say they improved the handling considerably on that car.

Personally I would say 15s are big enough on an accent as the arch isn't huge.

I now have 205/45 R17 on my car, and while a little rough on speed bumps etc, I find the grip to be good. I am awaiting the delivery of T1-Rs and expect it to be even better then. Also, in relation to the speedo comments, from using the sat nav in the car I can confirm that my speedo is still giving a speed reading of roughly 10% more than my actual speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

paul kk. you wouldn't have those katanas still lying around would ya?.... just curious. They're the set i want because they just look 'right' if ya get me.
    I'm not worried about marginal handlin differences just as long as she won't be slipping around the bends at even low low speeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you need 195/50 R15 on the Accent, 195/55 will be too big. you should have no problem with scrubbing the arches either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Sorry colm that was a typo, they were 195/50.

Sorry congo I sold them off when I was selling my golf, they were actually snapped up, they seem quite a popular wheel!

Where are you based? There is a good motor shop in Carlow at the fairgreen that do them for about €480 new with tyres, they often seem to do the 5 wheels for 4 offer for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

colm_mcm wrote: »
    getting 3 piece alloys on a 00 1.3 Accent has to be one of the most ridiculous suggestions ever.

madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Guys, dont forget the point that as the wheel diameter gets bigger you can reduce the tyre sidewall height so that the total diameter should be pretty much the same.

Bigger wheels are traditionally heavier, slower to get up to speed, and with reduced flex in the tyre sidewall due to a lower profile tyre, the handling will be likely be more snappy on the limit. Unsprung weight increases placing additional load on the suspension and slowing the suspensions ability to react as fast. Tyres are traditionally more expensive on bigger wheels also. Ive taken the 16inchers off my bus and put 15 inchers on it. I find them much nicer to drive with.

Advertisement