Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake warning light Flashing

Options
  • 21-04-2008 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

ok so last two days i've noticed this on and off. Yesterday while going to lucan from dunboyne via backroads. i was travelling around 85km/h and the brake warning light came on aka handbrake light.

i disregarded it until it briefly illuminated down the road. After pulling over i felt it may be down to my handbrake lever being loose and lifting slightly over bumps and thought nothing more of it.

Again today while driving i took a bend and noticed the light flashed again literally for about 1 second.

i'm not sure of the cause or if there is even cause for concern. any advice?

the warning light:
    180px-Parkingbrakelamp.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Your back pads or shoes are worn. What kind of car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 irish-lad22

More than likely it is your brake fluid, especially when it flashes when you go around a bend. Check the level and top up with correct type of fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Might be worth checking your brake fluid level as well.

edit.. Just seen irish lads reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Nissan Almera. I checked the brakes this morning by going at 50km/h and forcing the car to stop. They responded fine. I'll check levels this evening and if they're ok i'll send in for repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

i had a lexus is 200 and the same light came on every time i drove the car but wouldnt be there when i started the car it ended up being that one of my brake light bulbs was busted.

worth checking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm thinking of any of a number of things here:

Low brake fluid,
    Worn brake pads,
    Faulty ABS sensor.

I'd have the car checked as soon as possible to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As others have said, either brake fluid or pads, i had that same warning light on my focus for a couple of weeks until it was taken in for a service, it turns out it was worn brake pads. You might not be able to tell all that much of a difference but it's worth getting checked out.

checked fluid levels and they were fine. It is over due for a service because its the oul ones car and she's really slow to react to car faults until its too late and runs a bill. I said it to her tonight because brake warning lights aren't something to be messed with. I don't think its an ABS warning. there is a separate warning for that.
    The light literally comes on and off in a heartbeat you wouldn't notice it to be honest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Even though the level was fine it might have to be topped up a bit. My car done it for a while, It was 1mm under the max level and was flashing. Put it about 2-3mm above max and has been fine ever since.

@jonny24ie, I done this tonight. Just as a precaution and also to see if its taking any (leaking). No noticeable difference in brake performance. but, Today while stopped i wanted to see how far i could push the pedal. It went to the floor. Is this normal in a stopped car? from experience of driving it doesn't appear to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭blackbox

Brake warning light, pedal goes to floor.

If you value your life and have any consideration for others, TOW THIS CAR TO A GARAGE AND GET IT REPAIRED.

I don't want you on the same road as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

blackbox wrote: »

If you value your life and have any consideration for others, TOW THIS CAR TO A GARAGE AND GET IT REPAIRED.

Ah here, there's no need to be that drastic about it, the warning light allows for plenty of time for it to be fixed, by all means get it checked asap but lets not be crazy about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

in my case it was just a small bubble of air in the brake fluid, after checking handbrake and fluid levels I was planning to go to the garage, but it went off few days later before I got the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

blackbox wrote: »

Jesus calm down its not a life and death situation:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Plug wrote: »
    Jesus calm down its not a life and death situation:rolleyes:

I'm afraid it is, if you see a brake warning light you should STOP immediately and get the car towed. Not take the "Arra it'll be grand approach". What if your driving and coming up to a pedestrian crossing you hit the brakes, your foot goes to the floor and you plough through a couple of people. In my eyes it would be involuntary manslaughter.

Brake warning light on the VW's means the brake fluid level has dropped below a safe level. Although its followed by an audible warning. You braking system should not leak fluid or need to be topped up, if there is a leak someplace you need to get it sorted as it will eventually bleed itself with every increase in pressure (when you hit the brakes).

Anyways, my point is, no chances should be taken when it comes to stopping the your vehicle.

But a test at 40 and 50lm/h on a quiet road showed the brakes are still effective. Still i have told the oul 1 to get it checked asap. I thought it was down to a loose handbrake lever which brings me to a new q

The car was recently in for repairs after being rear ended. I noticed when we got it back, the handbrake could be pulled up to its limits without much tension. Again, like my brakes i checked by applying the h/brake and tried taking off. It's looking like 5-6 clicks is needed. But i am worried about th fact i can pull it all the way up to its limits. Is there a tension nut i could adjust in the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

congo_90 wrote: »
    But a test at 40 and 50lm/h on a quiet road showed the brakes are still effective. Still i have told the oul 1 to get it checked asap. I thought it was down to a loose handbrake lever which brings me to a new q

Absolute madness... brakes don't deteriorate when they have a fluid leak, they just stop working. Its a hydraulic system. If there is a leak, you are slowly emptying the system of fluid (or quickly). So you could pump away at the brakes and at some indeterminate amount of time, depending on how long it takes for the system to bleed out, boom .... foot to the floor and no brakes at all.

Anyways, just to note in future, get it towed, a brake fault is serious. for the sake of a towing, its better than having a car written off, or someone claiming off you for personal injury and damage.

I suppose yea. If it was my car it would have been in the dealers long before posting. Even thought the warning light was the blink of an eye on and off. Still its my ma and i know full well she'll drive it into the ground. The Brake fluid looks fine no signs of leaking. i topped it up just to be sure and marked with a marker the line.

Advertisement