Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Day Time Running Lights

Options
  • 21-04-2008 8:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Time for them to be brought into Ireland.

Why oh why don't people in this country realise that you need to turn on you're lights at Twilight and Dawn ? So many drivers out there who don't bother.

I tend to turn on my dims even during the day time when its cloudy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I think we need to sort out the basics before getting this advanced. The amount of people I come across driving in almost pitch black, with no lights what-so-ever is frankly astounding.

I think some people don't comprehend the concept that your lights are not only so that "you" can see, but so that "others" can also see you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Yep its crazy with the lights. Ive seen people driving on national routes in mid-winter, raining and getting dark with no lights on. If you flash them to try and alert them they just wave at you like your an old friend saying hello.
    How are these people allowed to stay on the road.
    I have noticed as-well, a lot of these are "ladies who lunch" in the big SUV's, you know the ones who think they own the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

the masses are generally asleep while driving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Works both ways. There are alot of idiots that drive around with their headlights on in broad daylight blinding people all around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gegerty wrote: »
    Works both ways. There are alot of idiots that drive around with their headlights on in broad daylight blinding people all around them.

If you've got the dips on and they're correctly aligned, they won't blind people, full stop. Daytime or not.

I have my dips on permanently, as my car is a very, very light colour and is very hard to see in the wet/dark. In very bright sunlight you're more likely to see headlights of an oncoming car than the car itself if its a light colour too.

So, theres idiots who drive around with the high beams or poorly aligned lights, but people with dips on aren't.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    If you've got the dips on and they're correctly aligned, they won't blind people, full stop. Daytime or not.

I have my dips on permanently, as my car is a very, very light colour and is very hard to see in the wet/dark. In very bright sunlight you're more likely to see headlights of an oncoming car than the car itself if its a light colour too.
    How can you be so sure you're not blinding people? Personally I don't think you should have to compensate for idiot drivers who cannot see in broad daylight. They shouldn't have a licence.

Have you been told your car is hard to see in daylight? I find it hard to believe unless you have urban camoflague. But if you're sure your lights aren't affecting other drivers then why not be safe for the sake of being safe.

So, theres idiots who drive around with the high beams or poorly aligned lights, but people with dips on aren't.
    Granted it is usually SUV's whose lights shine right in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I drive with my dipped lights on all the time also. No reason not to.

Recently I gave a quick flash at dusk to a guy coming at me without lights on. (one of the friendly reminder type flashs, as opposed to a long and aggressive flash).
    Anyway, as we passed the guy is giving me a filthy look and waving his hands about and mouthing the word 'WHAT?'.
    I didn't have time to respond (which is probably just as well), but when I looked in my mirror I saw him swerve back onto the road. He was so busy being an ass, he didn't notice he was heading into the ditch... LOL, serves him right.

prospect wrote: »
    I drive with my dipped lights on all the time also. No reason not to.

Recently I gave a quick flash at dusk to a guy coming at me without lights on. (one of the friendly reminder type flashs, as opposed to a long and aggressive flash).
    Anyway, as we passed the guy is giving me a filthy look and waving his hands about and mouthing the word 'WHAT?'.
    I didn't have time to respond (which is probably just as well), but when I looked in my mirror I saw him swerve back onto the road. He was so busy being an ass, he didn't notice he was heading into the ditch... LOL, serves him right.

Have to take sides with the "ass" on this one. You saw him yeah? So visibilty was fine, no need for him to have his lights on. And well done for nearly causing an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

There is no need for day-time running lamps in Ireland. Sweden and Finland have them because they have 6 extremely dark months every year. What we do need is a Traffic Corps clamp down on the morons who persists in driving in normal darkness with front fog lights on! Hello! It is illegal to use them in anything other than fog or falling snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

to be honest this shouldnt really be annoying you so much,
    depends where you live aswell the street lighting is mighty fine round some places

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Have to take sides with the "ass" on this one. You saw him yeah? So visibilty was fine, no need for him to have his lights on. And well done for nearly causing an accident.

You are trying to get a rise out of people aren't you ? Just because you can see a car it doesn't make it right not to have your lights on. Turning on your lights, even during daylight makes you more visable and therefore less likely to be involved in an accident.

Your comment about blinding people is about an non sensical as it gets. How can dims blind you ?

Niall1234 wrote: »
    You are trying to get a rise out of people aren't you ? Just because you can see a car it doesn't make it right not to have your lights on. Turning on your lights, even during daylight makes you more visable and therefore less likely to be involved in an accident.

Your comment about blinding people is about an non sensical as it gets. How can dims blind you ?

Listen there's daytime running lights and there are headlights. I've no problem with daytime running lights, but no I'm not trying to get a rise out of people when I say headlights should be off unless visibility is poor. Fact of the matter is alot of cars on the road do not have daytime running lights. Majority of people have their headlights on as a kind of jewellery for their car. You'll even find people driving around with their headlights and their foglights on. Have a look at the new audi daytime running lights and tell me thats all about safety and not about looking cool.

I'm not trying to get a rise but I do get worked up when the above talk about flashing people for not having their headlights on in broad daylight and get pleasure out of nearly causing a serious accident in the process.

You do not get to make up your own rules of the road and you certainly have no god given right to go around enforcing your own interpretation of the rules.

How can you be so sure you're not blinding people? Personally I don't think you should have to compensate for idiot drivers who cannot see in broad daylight. They shouldn't have a licence.

Have you been told your car is hard to see in daylight? I find it hard to believe unless you have urban camoflague. But if you're sure your lights aren't affecting other drivers then why not be safe for the sake of being safe.

I'd prefer to compensate for people who can't see due to rain/glare rather than die, thanks.

And I know its hard to see in those conditions as I've seen the identical colour/model of car in the same conditions.

You really, really have a poor understanding of whats going on here - just because prospect saw the drive (s)he flashed doesn't mean anyone else was going to. Your lights do not exist solely to increase what you as a driver can see but to let other cars know where you are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I really doubt that anyone is getting "blinded" by people having their lights on during the daytime. Regardless of if they are on dipped or full beam, there are much brighter things about during the day that your eyes are already adjusted to. The getting "blinded" only occurs at night time when your eyes are fully dialated in order to see in the reduced light and someone then drives at you with their full beams on and thats not possible during the day unless your going through a tunnel or something.

I'm not trying to get a rise but I do get worked up when the above talk about flashing people for not having their headlights on in broad daylight and get pleasure out of nearly causing a serious accident in the process.

He said it was dusk. This is not, under any interpretation of the circumstances, 'broad daylight'.

We rarely get 'broad daylight' in Ireland, realistically. Right now in Tallaght its so overcast I'd suggest anyone driving without their lights on is feeling suicidal, and its just over a week until (Irish calander) summer. But even taking what counts as daylight here, dusk is not daylight.

And I know its hard to see in those conditions as I've seen the identical colour/model of car in the same conditions.
    I'm saying when visibilty is fine. The conditions you describe mean visibilty is poor and I would agree put your headlights on if you don't have daytime running lights.

You really, really have a poor understanding of whats going on here - just because prospect saw the drive (s)he flashed doesn't mean anyone else was going to. Your lights do not exist solely to increase what you as a driver can see but to let other cars know where you are.
    You're going to be a busy person going around flashing people who don't have their headlights on in the daylight. Maybe if you paid more attention to your own driving you might be less likely to have an accident.

I might also add you're adding to your fuel consumption and increasing CO2 emmissions by having your lights on all the time.

He said it was dusk. This is not, under any interpretation of the circumstances, 'broad daylight'.

We rarely get 'broad daylight' in Ireland, realistically. Right now in Tallaght its so overcast I'd suggest anyone driving without their lights on is feeling suicidal, and its just over a week until (Irish calander) summer. But even taking what counts as daylight here, dusk is not daylight.

I'm near tallaght (nangor). If we have the same visibity here as in tallaght right now then I'd say its just fine.

I cannot believe people are arguing that you must keep your headlights on so other people can see you. This is just madness! Get your eyes tested seriously, and yes that was intended to get a rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I always drive with my dims on too, its become habitual at this point, no reason not to as has already been said.

Besides we complain that most drivers shouldnt be on the road so we may aswell give them a better chance at spotting us.

Older drivers too may have failing eyesight and find it difficult to spot some cars (especially light and grey cars) like MYOB mentioned.
    Gegerty wrote:
    How can you be so sure you're not blinding people?
    If you're blinded by dimmed headlights during the day then you really have a problem.

You're going to be a busy person going around flashing people who don't have their headlights on in the daylight. Maybe if you paid more attention to your own driving you might be less likely to have an accident.

I don't flash people who don't have their headlights on in daylight. I never said I did. Maybe if you paid more attention to the thread you'd answer the right people :rolleyes:

I might also add you're adding to your fuel consumption and increasing CO2 emmissions by having your lights on all the time.

So minorly it doesn't matter. The way I drive will affect it far, far more.
    I'm near tallaght (nangor). If we have the same visibity here as in tallaght right now then I'd say its just fine.

If its the same there as it is here, the conditions are not fine. Its relatively dark and theres absolutely no quality of light.
    I cannot believe people are arguing that you must keep your headlights on so other people can see you. This is just madness! Get your eyes tested seriously, and yes that was intended to get a rise.

And I cannot believe you're unable to accept that? Please, please, please tell me you've never driven a car. Please. Because if you have you'll understand that its far, far easier to see a car with its lights on than one without - in any lighting conditions.

If you have, I'm scared theres people are dangerous as you on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

Even in daylight, DRL's considerably improve the presence a car has on the road especially for predestrians cross the road, and they also give the illusion that your car is closer than it really is, reducing the likelyhood of a car pulling out of a side road in front of you.

But I agree with what has been said already, that it is small fry compared to the basic motoring education that is needed for some of the drivers I see. I mean, only yesterday I saw someone drivnig along with their wing mirrors still folded in :eek:

• Advertisement

And I cannot believe you're unable to accept that? Please, please, please tell me you've never driven a car. Please. Because if you have you'll understand that its far, far easier to see a car with its lights on than one without - in any lighting conditions.

If you have, I'm scared theres people are dangerous as you on the roads.

what gives you the impression I don't understand your argument? I get what you're saying and I disagree with this point only: You must keep your headlights on all the time. If visibility is poor then fine put your lights on.

So lets agree to disagree.

btw, the keep your lights on all the time movement originally came about because of people forgetting to put their lights on when they are needed. The logic being if you have them on all the time then there's no chance of you driving around in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Ever since starting out as a motorcyclist 20 years ago I've driven with dipped beams 24 hours a day.
    I work on the basis that the majority of drivers out there are inattentive imbeciles who I wouldn't trust with anything as complex as a can-opener, let alone a vehicle. I haven't yet seen much to change my mind.
    DRLs or dipped beams (depending on the car) act as a first line of defence. It makes it far more likely the oncoming idiot will wake up and see me in time.

I can't see why anyone would object to that, given the other cr@p we have to deal with on our roads.

btw, the keep your lights on all the time movement originally came about because of people forgetting to put their lights on when they are needed. The logic being if you have them on all the time then there's no chance of you driving around in the dark.

Thats only a minor factor. The RSA lights-on campaign here is solely down to poor visibility, not people forgetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I have daytime running lights on my new car and I really agree with the idea that they should be on every new car now. I see much more people with lights on during the day than I used to now and it does make a difference.

For the guy who is putting down the idea of dipped lights.... daytime running lights use the dipped beam!! Its only in the new style audis that have the led drls which are a better idea too but thats down to the styling of the car. Dipped will never blind you unless they're not properly aligned.

It does not harm at all to have the lights on, especially if they automatically come on and they can have a positive effect so why are you against it so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I also ride a bike around the capital and will leave my lights during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Niall1234 wrote: »

cjt156 wrote: »
    Ever since starting out as a motorcyclist 20 years ago I've driven with dipped beams 24 hours a day.
    I work on the basis that the majority of drivers out there are inattentive imbeciles who I wouldn't trust with anything as complex as a can-opener, let alone a vehicle. I haven't yet seen much to change my mind.
    DRLs or dipped beams (depending on the car) act as a first line of defence. It makes it far more likely the oncoming idiot will wake up and see me in time.

I can't see why anyone would object to that, given the other cr@p we have to deal with on our roads.

The reason I disagree for DRLs for cars is becase I believe that at the moment the majority of motorcyclist are using DRLs/Dip Beam and they are noticeable on the road. If all cars had DRLs them motorbikes and bikes would got lost in all the cars again. This is the reason used by FEMA to get the EU to stop the mandatory use of DRLs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ok, some terminology first:

Dipped headlights:

Are just that, your normal headlamps on dip. 2x 55/60 watt bulbs. Fairly strong light, dipped in such a way that it lights the road and its edge in front of you at night. Dipped headlights can be seen in daytime as well, problem is, if they are misaligned, they can blind oncomers.
    The two big bulbs up front and the rear lights together put a constant load of about 150 Watts on the alternator which leads to higher wear there and slightly increased fuel consumption.

Daylight running lamps:

Are either the dipped or full beam with reduced power, so that they don't blind oncomers or lamps especially designed for that purpose. These ligths come on automatically when the ignition is on and they are on the front only.
    Newly designed DRL are in LED technology that throws a bright, non blinding light straight ahead, making the car visible at long distances without blinding.
    As they are LED's the energy consumption is negligible.
    These lights turn off once full lights (dipped or full beam) are switched on.

http://www.tagfahrlicht.de/EN/index.html

My yoke is painted in lovely olive green camouflage paint :D. It is therefore very hard to see in anything but a wide open road and bright sunlight. For my own protection I drive with dipped headlights always on.
    Heaving read up on new LED DRL technology, I've decided to get me a set of those.
    - I won't forget to switch them on or off
    - they won't "cost" anything to run
    - there is no danger of people being blinded

Very well spoken Peasant. If people are so concerned they should also look into getting these fitted rather than using their regular dipped headlights.

Del2005 wrote:
    The reason I disagree for DRLs for cars is becase I believe that at the moment the majority of motorcyclist are using DRLs/Dip Beam and they are noticeable on the road. If all cars had DRLs them motorbikes and bikes would got lost in all the cars again. This is the reason used by FEMA to get the EU to stop the mandatory use of DRLs.
    People must realise the importance of this argument and this alone (as a cyclist as well as driver) is enough reason for me to keep my headlights off during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

People must realise the importance of this argument and this alone (as a cyclist as well as driver) is enough reason for me to keep my headlights off during the day.

Good for you, but I won't make my journey less safe just because maybe in ten years time a biker might only be as safe as everyone else...did I get that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

troll-web.jpg

Advertisement