Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Turning right

Options
  • 21-04-2008 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Not sure which I should do:

On a traffic light controlled crossroads. The road I'm on is single lane and has a filter light allowing people to turn left and a main light for those going straight ahead/turning right.

The centre of the junction is a yellow box.

When I am waiting for the traffic flow to stop so that I can make the right turn should I be at the line at the traffic lights
    move out to the edge of the yellow box so that I am not in it but people can get past me
    or move into the centre of the yellow box as I wait to turn right?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

saoranach wrote: »
    move into the centre of the yellow box as I wait to turn right?
    This is the correct thing to do, provided that by doing so you're not obstructing anyone else. Note that you shouldn't necessarily be in the "centre" of the box, rather you should position yourself so that the driver is roughly sitting in line with the middle of the road that you're turning into (depends on the layout/width of junction however - common sense applies).

If there is already a vehicle in the yellow box, then you must wait at the line until the yellow box is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1, to everything above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

just a side note on this. if your sitting in the yellow box waiting for a gap and the gap never appears (lets say the oncoming traffic breaks the light as it goes red) dont stay on the box. This happened to my girlfriend doing the test. She assumed if she proceeded after the light had turned red it would be a grade 3. What you should do is just turn once the road is clear.

Apparently*, this doesnt count as breaking a red light because when you began your turn (entered the yellow box) the light was green

just something to remember.

*Ive asked a few people about this situation and got varying replies, but this logic came up a few times and from the mouths of driving instructors (but then again, they all seem to have varying ideas of the rules of the road.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was told that on day one of my lessons, when turning right, 1: move into the yellow box in the appropriate position to make your turn, 2: Should the filter never come on and you have a red, you have to proceed to prevent blocking the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another point to remember:

The road that you intend turning in to must be clear before you enter the box to wait. If traffic is backed up on that road, you must hold back and wait.

• Advertisement
Advertisement