Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy Yeast?

• 21-04-2008 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I bought flour in Tescos but could not find any yeast ( the instant kind) in the baking section. Where can I get it and is the baking section the right place?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Shoud be right there with the flour I'd say. We get our instant yeast in Dunnes, the make is McDougalls, in a box with 8 x 7g sachets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd better go to Dunnes then. As I've never seen it before I don't know what it's like and I searched the Tescos baking section high and low but nothing that mentions yeast. I thought maybe it's something that's kept in the fridges sections for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Most supermarkets stock yeast, but I have noticed that at least some Tesco branches don't -- nor do they stock strong flour, which is what you need for making yeast bread.

I buy my baking supplies in Superquinn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Jimmy it'll either be a round tub with loose yeast (like drinking chocolate - the tub has a foil freshness insert and then a top that clips on and off to keep it fresh once it's opened) or a cardboard carton that has individually wrapped sachets. In texture, yeast looks like miniature couscous, lots of tiny, round, coffee-coloured granules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Also, if you interest you could culture some wild yeast present on the flour

Here is a link bread topia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Hi

I bought flour in Tescos but could not find any yeast ( the instant kind) in the baking section. Where can I get it and is the baking section the right place?
    recently i went looking for yeast and the only place i could find it was in chinease foodstore in georges street. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

I have never had a problem with getting the sachets of dried yeast in any supermarket tbh.

However, I was looking for fresh yeast a month or so ago and could only get it in a health food shop. Forget which one sorry, but it was in a package about the size of a large box of matches and it was 'Easyjet Orange!'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

you can get fresh yeast from the bakery counter in any superquinn..
    It freezes well and is cheaper than the dried yeast sachets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

On this general idea, does anyone know what the Irish Yeast Company at the end of D'Olier street sells? I can't imagine a shop could get by just selling yeast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I got dried yeast in superquinn - they seem to have a good selection of baking stuff. I was surprised that Tescos is crap in comparison.

• Advertisement
Advertisement