Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf MkIV Mechanic

Options
  • 21-04-2008 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Got my car serviced at the weekend and the brake lights have conked out. Mechanic doing the service took a look and replaced the switch but that hasn't made any difference. Apparantly the bulbs blow as soon as they are replaced so its an electrical problem of some sort.

Anybody know any good volkswagen mechanics in the Dublin South area that can take a look?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

calsatron wrote: »
    Apparantly the bulbs blow as soon as they are replaced so its an electrical problem of some sort.

Its a very simple electrical problem.... Why would the mechanic change the switch if the bulbs were blowing? The only way to "blow" a bulb is to apply excess voltage to it... its very unlikely they are getting over voltaged, this should be very easy to check...

To be honest if your mechanic can't sort out a couple of brake lights i wouldn't bring the car back near him again... Another mechanic will be able to sort this out or go to an auto electrician....

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

He's a friend of the other half's father, hence "do you a good deal" etc etc. If i was intending going back to him I wouldn't be asking for personal recommendations on other mechanics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

It's not necessarily the mechanics fault lads. Isn't it common for the MK4 golf to blow out its brake and tail lights? I see them with lights out the whole time when driving around...

I'll PM you the number of a guy I would recommend.

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

calsatron wrote: »
    Got my car serviced at the weekend and the brake lights have conked out. Mechanic doing the service took a look and replaced the switch but that hasn't made any difference. Apparantly the bulbs blow as soon as they are replaced so its an electrical problem of some sort.

Anybody know any good volkswagen mechanics in the Dublin South area that can take a look?
    Grounding problem.
    Germans just aren't as good at electricity as they are at mechanics.

The fact that the problem occurred after a service strongly suggests that something got disturbed, and Germans have a silly habit of running grounding cables everywhere instead of the sensible approach of using the frame & body as a general earth.

(Brake lights are powered straight off the battery so forget any mention of overvoltage.)

Most importantly, you need to actively prevent any mechanic from randomly inserting new parts until the problem goes away. That will get very expensive very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

wonder if he touched the bulbs without a pair of gloves??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

kona wrote: »
    wonder if he touched the bulbs without a pair of gloves??
    Because that would do what?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

Planning on dropping it in the the mechanic Gil recommended in the next day or so, so I'll update this when he works out what the problem is.

Advertisement