Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Boardeaux 3-2 Ravenhill Tues 22 Apr - 8.30pm @ Columbas

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Jaysus, poor turn out alright.:( Dying to start a game and cement my place in the team, so I suppose this helps me.

Anyway, let's go hell for leather tonight and get this season motoring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I spoke to Kenny and he'll be there, he's a bit knackered but he'll be there. Carl got back to me to confirm he'll be there too, carrying a bit of an injury but he'll be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

I can only speak for myself but this is the first match in 3 seasons that ive missed training or a match due to anything other than exams the morning after a match or being out of the country.

I considered going to support but standing outside in the cold when im practically living on a diet of nurofen and paracetomol wouldn't achieve all that much (esp when you factor the trip i have to make to collect the car as martin or lepo know about).

Eager to see the result and how the team performed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

3-2 win. though one of our goals was due to them not turning up on time. The two goals were the only two chances they had. While it was **** to give them away I think we'll give away far worse goals this season so we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves. Think main thing was we played well and won. nothing else matters at this stage. Great goal Jules by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

2-2 draw but we get the 3 points as they were late so its our first win of the season, 3-2 is the official scoreline.

tbh, would have been a travesty had we not won this, it was the best we played of the 3 games and karl was a virtual spectator for the game. we ell asleep though and they got 2 late goals to go 2-1 up, but jules scored a screamer from 35 yards out to put us level straight away. we had 3 great chances, their keeper pulling of 2 great saves, they never threatened. we defended excellently up until a set piece goal, we should have done better as a team for it. their second goal was a great finish from outside the box, but we should have cleared it. anyway, its 3 points on the board and a positive step, should see us move up a positon or 2 in the table. i was delighted to play for first full game in 4 months, its good to be back!

team -

Karl

martin _ Ed _ Keith _ Lepo
    Dave _ Kenny _ Jules _ Larry
    Art _ Eddie

Subs who played -

Dan, Owen and Cathal.

Scores - Dave and Jules

Assists - Eddie (1).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    one of our goals was due to them not turning up on time.
    we get the 3 points as they were late so its our first win of the season, 3-2 is the official scoreline.

They were in their cars listening to the effing CL match ffs.

The rules are there, you sign up to them. They know the rules, we know the rules. We got there on time, they didn't. They got punished. I'll take three easy points like that any day of the week.

It affected us though, once everyone got wind of it, I'm convinced of it. The foot came off the gas a bit, and we let them in. Just like that time we played against 8 men for a while. People thought it was a walk in the park. Not so.

Shocking, shocking defending for their first goal, not one challenger in a packed box.:confused:

Classy finish from Dave though, and an absolute screamer from Jules. Half Volley from forty yards, dipping all the way in. Peach. And it deserved to win a game, it should have counted double :D

Anyway, onwards and upwards, everyone impressed tonight, so there's real competiotion for places in this squad. Which is excellent.

DesF wrote: »

Anyway, onwards and upwards, everyone impressed tonight, so there's real competiotion for places in this squad. Which is excellent.

Very true Des. Not one bad performance out there tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Very true Des. Not one bad performance out there tonight.
    Well, apart from you:pac:

Pffft, check out those throw ins tonight Desmond. Si eat your heart out :p

DesF wrote: »
    It affected us though, once everyone got wind of it, I'm convinced of it. The foot came off the gas a bit, and we let them in.

Fully agree - that's why I turned to Art or whoever it was when the ref told me about it at the start and said say nothing and he did in fairness. We're at our worst when we get complacent and though I feel it was a bit of a factor in the second half, I don't want to overstate it cos it was a totally different game with the wind and rain. If conditions like the 1st half had stayed throughout more goals for us would've been inevitable.

And yeh, the rules couldn't be clearer so we'll take the points and they had one goal from a free kick we shouldve done better on but their 2nd was setup by a double deflection which was ridiculously flukey, so it balances out. Besides their goals I honestly can't remember them having a single shot besides your man nearly hitting the corner flag - great marshalling by the defence overall.

I really think we are a much improved team cos we have more players comfortable on the ball throughout and are getting control in the midfield and winning breaking balls recently like we have rarely done. Everywhere I looked tonight there was a lad wanting the ball and willing to do something positive with it - great stuff all round. All that combines to mean we played some really good football and those 10 minutes before half time they barely touched the ball.

We move to the next level and turn dominance like that into a 5-0 win by attacking and defending as a unit - it's tough to do get into the risky attacking mindset, but against a team like that, as soon as we get the ball our defence needs to push up at the same rate as the midfield are moving forward. Means we'll win more breaking ball and whip it back in instead of it fallng to them and them having momentum by the time they reach our defence. That's fairly picky to call out after a good performance, but it is something we need to do more of (cos we did it to great effect a few times tonight) if we want to kill off games like this one.

Great to see Ed come strongly through his return from a nasty injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Well done lads glad to hear we've got our first win under our belt and a good performance as well. Onwards and Upwards from here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Nice win lads, well done

Enjoy the walk in future there Martin

Gileadi wrote: »
    Enjoy the walk in future there Martin

Someones in a bad mood.

Its alright you can explain some maths to me at the weekend and it'll all be grand :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

well done lads great result. apologies for my abscence. i can assure you it had nothing to do with scum vs scum that was played last night

Gileadi wrote: »
    Its alright you can explain some maths to me at the weekend and it'll all be grand :p

Yes one plus one is two :D You playing in this thing Saturday? Hope we get a good turnout for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Yes one plus one is two :D You playing in this thing Saturday? Hope we get a good turnout for that.

Lets hope they change that stupid score inside the box only rule.
    Typical scousers, trying to stop exciting,attacking football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭raheny red

Lets hope they change that stupid score inside the box only rule.
    Typical scousers, trying to stop exciting,attacking football.

That rule helps more exciting, attacking football.

Couldn't disagree more raheny red, not sure if you're involved in either our team or this tournament in anyway, but as the fella that runs it might read this, here ya go.

I've stayed away from playing the Astro leagues, but I've played many tournaments and the ones that didn't have that rule were always the more enjoyable and the vast majority of players felt that way.

It just rewards some teams that like to pack their box with defenders. Good football involves variety> By eliminating a huge number of attacking options that rule just makes things very predictable. A wide attack cutting the ball back for a fella to finish from outside the box is one of the best moves in 5-a-side and this poxy rule means that's not an option, well you can try do it inside the box but if they've 4 players in there it's not exactly skillful defending that stops it, just bodies getting in the way.

If people want to sign up for the Astro leagues and know that rule is gonna be there they have time to get used to it, for a tournament like this half of it's supposed to be about just enjoying your football so why be so restricitive? Including this rule would be giving an advantage to teams that play the 5-a-side leagues and are used to it.

• Advertisement

Shooting only outside the box is how it should be. Stops goal poaching and means most goals have to be off a decent quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

why not just have it like normal football where you can do both?

Advertisement