Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ever OK to cycle on paths?

Options
  • 21-04-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm looking to get into cycling and have almost zero experience of it so forgive my ignorance if you please.

I'm just wondering what the deal is with cycling on paths and roads. Is it ever ok to cycle on paths? I'm not talking about inner city, I'm talking about a small town where there aren't really any corners or blind spots where people can just pop out.

The reason I ask is that I assume drivers get most frustrated with cyclists when they see a path right beside the road that cyclist could be on but instead the cyclist is on the road holding them up.

Again, I really don't have a clue as ye can see so I'de appreciate any info!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

It is illegal to cycle on foothpaths
    And besides, pedestrians are more likely to get pissed off at you being on the path than cars are about you not being on it.
    Bicycles have _exactly_ as much rights to be on a road as cars do, if there is no cycle track for them to (safely) use.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Bikes belong on the road not on the footpath. If any motorist gives you grief for cycling on the road, remind them of the Rules of the Road. You're just as entitled to use the road as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Hey guys, I'm looking to get into cycling and have almost zero experience of it so forgive my ignorance if you please.

I'm just wondering what the deal is with cycling on paths and roads. Is it ever ok to cycle on paths? I'm not talking about inner city, I'm talking about a small town where there aren't really any corners or blind spots where people can just pop out.

The reason I ask is that I assume drivers get most frustrated with cyclists when they see a path right beside the road that cyclist could be on but instead the cyclist is on the road holding them up.

Again, I really don't have a clue as ye can see so I'de appreciate any info!

Thanks

Well Jimmy I think it being illegal might deter most cyclists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

It's illegal to cycle on the footpath. If you do it anyway it's up to you, but you shouldn't. There very very seldom any need for it.
    As examples, a lot of people will avoid treacherous roundabouts or squishy corners by hopping up on the path.

And don't be worrying about delaying motorists. **** em, quite frankly, they need to chill out.
    Y'see, if you cycle on the path you'll be terrorising little old ladies, mothers with prams, puppies, people in wheechairs and everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Ah right! Thanks for the quick responses lads. I guess I'de really wanna look up some rules of the road before I go cycling then... As a kid ye just go out but now I'm so afraid of doing something wrong lol

EDIT: Anybody got any links to some general rules for cycling? Just done a google but can't find anything concrete...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have ended up on a few footpaths before, generally where cycle lanes seem to be continuing on then stop bizarrely for some reason. I think they do it to mess with cyclist's heads.

Just one other thing, I can't find an answer online about 2 lane roundabouts, do cyclists do the exact same as cars? i.e. right lane if going right, left otherwise?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I have ended up on a few footpaths before, generally where cycle lanes seem to be continuing on then stop bizarrely for some reason. I think they do it to mess with cyclist's heads.

That happens in a place on Nutgrove Avenue (where it meets Grange Road) in Rathfarnham - I used to dismount if I saw people, but if it was clear I kept going.

Apart from that I never use it. I work on Merrion Road and a lot of cyclists fly along the footpath, it's a little bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Just one other thing, I can't find an answer online about 2 lane roundabouts, do cyclists do the exact same as cars? i.e. right lane if going right, left otherwise?

You should do exactly what you do in a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Raam wrote: »
    You should do exactly what you do in a car.

Close your eyes, accelerate and hope for the best?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Sounds about right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

If there is a long queue of traffic waiting at a red light and there is no space to get past them to the front of the queue, I have occasionally hopped onto the footpath. I know this is technically a no no but it feels a little odd queuing with the cars...

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Cycling on the path is dangerous for the cyclist too as cars can pull out of driveways quickly and not expect you. As well as being inconsiderate to pedestrians.

It's still illegal but if you've a clear footpath with no turns off it and there's traffic behind you I'd say it's morally acceptable to use the footpath to allow the cars to overtake you, but you should quickly rejoin the road and assert your road-space. The analogy I'd use with a car is driving in the hard-shoulder. Terribly dangerous and illegal too but with common sense it can be driven in temporarily to allow others to overtake.

Strongly recommend this book - I thought I knew everything about leisure cycling/commuting from experience but I'm still learning:
    http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/

Welcome to the jungle:p

Thanks for all the help guys, that's cleared up now. Thanks for the book recommendation ooby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Hey Jimmy,

I have a simple rule for when im cycling. Do what is safest. If that means footpaths, breaking lights, wrong way up a one way, i dont care. If its the safest option for myself then i do it, obviously not to the extent of putting others in danger though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

...and make a phone call, for good measure.

Advertisement