Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever been to Papua New Guinea?

• 21-04-2008 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

What was it like?
    Recommendations?
    Hard to travel there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I was thinking about going there before when i was in the Philippines but i was advised against it because of how dangerous a place it is. Apparently there is a huge crime problem and tourists are big targets. I was told that there is a lot of inter tribal fighting going on as well.

I remember looking up about it after i was told about the warnings and they appeared to be true. But i suppose it's like anywhere in the world, once you use common sense you should be relatively okay. The weather is supposed to be really changeable and honestly there doesn't look like there is much in the place. I just got the idea into my head because it was a big enough country that is hardly ever mentioned. So that kind of intrigued me. And for how underdeveloped the place is it is supposed to be really expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Wow I never knew it was considered dangerous. Though I have hear that 'head-hunting', where one tribe literally attacks the other to get a trophy of a head still goes on. But I never knew it was dodgy for tourists.
    In saying that dodgy places have never discouraged me before, my family practically pleaded with me not to go to Iran and Colombia ! Didnt stop me though:D
    Im kinda the same, because no-ones been there it kinda attracts me. Though a mate did tell me No Frontiers did a piece on it a few months back so maybe its starting to open up to tourism....
    I might check the Thorn Tree and see if I can find anything there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

The post from this fella seems to give a lot of info about his experience there.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?messageID=11495118&#11495118

The Australian travel advisory page doesn't paint a pretty picture of the place but you know what Government sites are like. They sensentialize everything. Although the Aussie one isn't usually as bad the US one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

im thinking about going there myself in the summer, will be in indonesia for about two months so i might take a side trip there! il let you know if i decide to go.

mac123 wrote: »
    im thinking about going there myself in the summer, will be in indonesia for about two months so i might take a side trip there! il let you know if i decide to go.

Yeah a first hand report would be good- you can be our guinea pig:D

If you scuba dive I'll give you some awesome sites in Indonesia that will blow your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

yeah well it will depend on the budget for me at this stage. im cutting it pretty tight but i might try and fit it in, if not il try and get to east timor.
    i dont dive yet but im doing the open water course in koh tao before heading to indo so fire away with any good dive spots!!
    cheers mate..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭inarut

yeah well it will depend on the budget for me at this stage. im cutting it pretty tight but i might try and fit it in, if not il try and get to east timor.
    i dont dive yet but im doing the open water course in koh tao before heading to indo so fire away with any good dive spots!!
    cheers mate..

Some useful reading. Doesn't say much in favour of Port Moresby though.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/sep/22/population.davidfickling

Also try http://wikitravel.org/en/Papua_New_Guinea

Transport links are non-existent in PNG eg no roads, rail etc. The only way of travelling between the two main settlements is by irregular internal flights.

cheers mate..

If you are going to head over to Komodo And Rinca Island to see the Komodo Dragons then theres 2 dive sites not too far from Rinca. They are called Pilau Besar and Pilau Kecil, absolute world class diving, theyve made National Geographic's Top 100 World Dive sites on more than one occasion. Very highly recommended and miles better than anything you'll find around Bali/ Lombok/ Gili Islands. ( the diving there is still quite good tho')

Also you'll find there are a lot less divers in the water in Indonesia than Thailand so its an even bigger bonus. We had those two sites to ourselves when we dived them, I really couldn't believe how empty it was yet so packed with fish, thousands of them, just like you see on nature documentaries. Dont miss it if you're in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Though a mate did tell me No Frontiers did a piece on it a few months back so maybe its starting to open up to tourism....

The no frontiers thing was a special , Ive seen it , obviously no one else on this thread has ,

It was a nightmare of a trip for her , chased by a guy with a machete , she'd have been killed only for the crew , eaten by jumping leeches , accused by a tribe of being the cause of the running water stopping , scary scary stuff , and the program ended with the advice .....
    " Remember , your personal safety is your own responsibility ," ... and so on , in short , there are no medical facilities , the place is near stone age , you a miles from help and civilisation should anything go wrong ... a once in a lifetime trip , but could easily be the end of a lifetime trip as well , be well prepared.

One for the young , fit , and intrepid only ! Its a Jungle expedition , not a holiday , as long as thats what you have in mind and are equipped to suit , then you'll be OK.

Advertisement