Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastering Sand

Options
  • 21-04-2008 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm laying a new path and using concrete slabs and I was planning on putting a mortar base underneath (my Dad says you just need sand) so I ask a builder for a quote on sand, he says I'll need 5 tonnes (the path is 14m long) and that I need plastering sand.

I'm failry new to this and for a start 5 tonnes seems like an awful lot of sand and secondly what is plastering sand?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I wud not say that 5 ton is too much, you need to make a decent base so that will be used up fast.
    Need platering sand, I would not have thought so, but what you can do is ring Roadstone or a quarry and ask them what you need. Ring 2 different ones just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

You can find some good information on this site.

When they say 'plastering' sand they are referring to a coarser variety than 'soft' or 'building' sand used for building mortar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

sand is c 1700 kg/cum
    http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm

so
    5 tonne is c 3 cubic metres so
    if 14m long and say 1.5 meter wide then a depth of 140 mm is required
    so u can do the math

Advertisement