Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can broadband knock telephone line off?

Options
  • 21-04-2008 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

My brothers and I got my mother broadband at Xmas with BT. Since then the broadband itself has worked very sporadicly. And this is the fifth time the phone has been out of order. I think I know what the issue is, but need it confirmed by someone technical.

My mother has phone in hall & another in the bedroom. When my brother set up the wiring. He put the broadband splitter in the hall, at the phone point. Put one connection straight to phone in hall.

Brought second connection to bedroom, and then put a splitter (split the line) on the line. Puts one on the phone in bedroom & second upto the broadband upstairs.

I don't think this should be done. my understanding is the broadband will start to look for a line out... and will try to go out on both lines as they are connected - it will go to phone in bedroom & it will also go on the one to the telephone point.

Normal phone-lines aren't able for broadband signals and its knocks them off (probably a more technical description available).

Am i right or wrong on this. Is the phone line being faulty anything got to do with the internal set up of the broadband.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Yeah, the wiring is messed up. You are splitting an already 'splitted' line for the secone phone/dsl connection. The pots part of the signal will not get through to the second phone (at least not fully). Ideally the extension should have been tapped off before the hallway dsl/phone splitter. Then use a second splitter for the other phone connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can split the phone line AFTER the phone outlet on the DSL filter. otherwise you need a separate filter on each phone socket (which doesn't work as well as a single "master" filter feeding all phone sockets).

The modem can only connect at the single Modem point on master splitter.

If you do split line before the filter, every outlet needs a Modem Filter. But only one modem can connect (though at any outlet). This scheme does not filter as well as a single master filter with all phone only points split from Phone port of DSL filter.

degsie wrote: »
    Yeah, the wiring is messed up. You are splitting an already 'splitted' line for the secone phone/dsl connection. The pots part of the signal will not get through to the second phone (at least not fully). Ideally the extension should have been tapped off before the hallway dsl/phone splitter. Then use a second splitter for the other phone connection.

Nope. Otherway round.

watty wrote: »
    Nope. Otherway round.

please explain :confused:

It's explained in my earlier post.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    It's explained in my earlier post.

Sorry, I have to disagree. With your solution the op would have to run two lines to upstairs, one for pots(phone) and one for adsl. This is because the line has been split directly at the master socket. Or am I reading this all wrong.:eek:

from OP:
    My mother has phone in hall & another in the bedroom. When my brother set up the wiring. He put the broadband splitter in the hall, at the phone point. Put one connection straight to phone in hall.(I'm assuming from pots connection on splitter)

Brought second connection (I'm assuming from broadband connection on splitter) to bedroom, and then put a splitter (split the line) on the line. Puts one on the phone in bedroom & second upto the broadband upstairs.

you may or may not be reading it wrong :)

Here it is more clearly (same thing):

1) IF you split at the master socket, then you must run separate wires for phone and modem. Not a problem if the modem is AT the master socket or the phone and modem are in different locations.

2) If you run a single extension and want the modem & phone at end of it, Then you need filters on EVERY outlet, but no outlet before its filter can be filtered earlier.

You have to use scheme (1) or scheme (2). The phones must always be connected via phone part of a DSL filter and the Modem must be always fed by the Modem part of a DSL filter. You can't run a phone from a line spilt off a Modem connection (even it you add a filter) and you can't run a modem of a line split off from a Phone port on an DSL filter( even if you add a filter).

The phone uses 300Hz to 3500Hz. The modem uses above about 4500Hz to 1MHz or 2MHz approx. The DSL filter is a High Pass for Modem and Low pass for the phone handset.

If you wire a bunch of sockets from main socket without a main DSL filter, then each socket needs a DSL Filter, EVEN if only one has the modem. This gives poorer filtering than a single DSL filter (ideally a bigger one) feeding the modem on one pair of wires (up to essentially any distance with DSL range to exchange) from Modem port on Filter, and a normal number of phone socket/devices on the other pair of wires on Phone Port of Filter. The REN number on each pulgged in device (not the DSL Modem) totalled for all devices must not add up above whatever the eircom limit currently is.

You can only have one DSL modem (not obvious to some people!).

Yeah, you are probably right.
    This is what I had in my head:
    2qv6nus.jpg

This scheme won't work for the phone upstairs as the first bandpass filter will remove the pots stuff.

Indeed if the master socket had a ordinary splitter, with extension in one hole and "Splitter 1" with phone in second hole it would work, but as you say the phone upstairs gets no signal, the modem would likely work is the filter insertion loss is not too high.

A splitter is just wires.

The Phone/DSL microfilter is not really a splitter, it's a Diplexer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

degsie wrote: »
    Sorry, I have to disagree. With your solution the op would have to run two lines to upstairs, one for pots(phone) and one for adsl. This is because the line has been split directly at the master socket. Or am I reading this all wrong.:eek:

from OP:

Yep that is exactly what he did. on the dsl splitter at phone point in hall: off the phone side, he connected this to the hall phone. on the dsl side, ran this down to the bedroom & then split the line there; one upstairs for computer & one to the bedroom phone

• Advertisement
Advertisement