Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas S.C - the weakest link in Athlone's retail chain?

Options
  • 21-04-2008 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Looking at the state of that shopping centre now, I think it warrants demolition.

In the past 10 years, the likes of Lifestyle Sports, Tesco, Heartbeat City, Music World and the Texas Dept Store itself have moved out.

I think converting it into a car park will be a good idea - take the strain off the Athlone town centre.

What does everyone else think, and share your memories, if any, of the place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Some green space would be better. Nice trees, a water feature, some animals.

I used to hang around there as a kid when my mum would send me and my brother to mass. He'd steal a cooked chicken and ice cream from Supervalu and we'd eat it all while hanging around the shopping centre. The things kids do, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Was in there the other day and there really is very little left in it. Even the two Texas stores will be going eventually. Only thing that would bring you in there is the Post Office, and they lock up for lunch. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Heartbeat City, or maybe it was just the staff there, were a total disaster.
    Completely incompetent staff, wasnt surprised when it closed.

As for other shops, Keenans have another store on John Broderick St and theres a number of jewellers and chemists around the town.

Apart from the Post Office and Butcher theres not much more point to the place. Lunch time closing it a disaster in this day and age!

Although not as bad as a Cafe I used to live near in Dublin ... which also closed for lunch!!!

All in all so long as the Post Office is relocated I cant see too many people overly bothered if the place was levelled!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Fond memories of the snooker club above it, and there was an arcade AND a bloody cinema. I remember seeing Braveheart and The Crow in there years ago. As I said, fond memories but I think a wrecking ball is the only answer now.

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Fond memories of the snooker club above it, and there was an arcade AND a bloody cinema. I remember seeing Braveheart and The Crow in there years ago. As I said, fond memories but I think a wrecking ball is the only answer now.

The old cinema was gas. I remember going there to see "In The Name Of The Father". Only people in there were me, my brother and his mate.

The projectionist was a mate of my Dads so half way through the film he stopped it and asked if there was anything else we wanted to watch!!!

Think I saw Jurassic Park there too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

I was in Athlone today and sources are telling me that the practices the Texas Discount Warehouse club are doing (displaying prices excluding VAT, having to pay it at the till) are illegal. Is this true?

I was in Athlone today and sources are telling me that the practices the Texas Discount Warehouse club are doing (displaying prices excluding VAT, having to pay it at the till) are illegal. Is this true?

I always thought that was odd in that you wernt sure of the actual price until you were at the till. Never bothered questioning it cos there was never anything in there I wanted/needed

I am in the process of getting a petition round (similar to what the pharmacists were doing about the HSE, but localised to Athlone) to get the Texas Centre demolished. The document has been written, and all signatures (if any) will be sent to the Mayor. Hopefully it will stir them into action.

http://www.bannon.ie/brochures/athlone_irishtown.pdf

The shops that are remaining (including the post office), their leases are nearly up

And to think about 2 years ago it was like this:

athlone3.jpgathlone4.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

If my memory serves me correctly, the Texas Centre being discussed here on this thread actually used to the be the very first Athlone Shopping Centre, developed way back around 1973 or 1974 - even for the 70s, it was a vile piece of crap. Quinnsworth used to be there and a range of other shops but it was never a massive success and was seen as a cheaply built and designed eyesore.

When Golden Island opened, it was the death knell for this place. I'm surpsired it hasn't been razed to the ground already.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    When Golden Island opened, it was the death knell for this place. I'm surpsired it hasn't been razed to the ground already.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/1997/1025/97102500132.html

Just stumbled upon this today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Fond memories of the snooker club above it, and there was an arcade AND a bloody cinema.

Was that Paramount

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

lol, it was indeed. wp for remembering the name!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

There was a plan in the late 50's early 60's to put the Marist Boys National school on that site. It did not go ahead because of noise from nearby garages which operated in the area. The school was eventually relocate to the Fair green. The big tragedy in Athlone was that the Fair Green was covered by various buildings. It would have made a fine public park near the centre of the town.

They'll be gone for good in a few weeks, with 75% off everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

theres not much left to take 75% off...the whole building is for sale. as for the P.O there is always the main one ova the bridge.

Advertisement