Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open source accounting software

Options
  • 21-04-2008 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of/would recommend an open source (free) accounting application.

It would be for a very small business with very few entries each month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Does anyone know of/would recommend an open source (free) accounting application.

It would be for a very small business with very few entries each month.

Just go with quick books.. There's a free version if you have less than 20 customers.... when you go above 20 customers its €70 for a single seat....

I got my free copy from the agents in dublin, they even posted me the CD for free.... the agents are some accountants down in fairview, just drop them an email...

I'm not an accountant and have very little experience, but the quick books user interface is very simple and clever....

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Dont use it myself, but this was mentioned somewhere recently...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/accountingexpress/FX101729681033.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

turbocash, phpmymoney, gnucash, webERP are the main open-source packages.

Having said that, quickbooks is worth ponying up the cash for.....If you have VERY little transactions, then excel spreadsheets can work for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Having said that, quickbooks is worth ponying up the cash for.....If you have VERY little transactions, then excel spreadsheets can work for you too.

This is one area i would definitely spend the €70 if the free version doesn't work out.... all you need is one mess up in your VAT 3 returns and you'll have a complete pain in the arse...

I normally do use free / open source stuff when ever i can... Also most packages will be set up for the UK and not ireland so can be a pain to re-configure.... at least quick books is fairly easy that way too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Thanks for the info. Quickbooks sounds good and I will be sure to have a look over the other options too, but an application for configured for Ireland is the ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

an application for configured for Ireland is the ideal.

Well, forget about most open source stuff then. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much an advocate for it. I use and deploy it extensivly, but honestly quickbooks is a great product. When you buy quickbooks, you are buying support too, its important to keep that in mind. Ive yet to come across a company that has swicted FROM quickbooks. Yes they are out there, but not nearly as many as those who switched from other offerings.

You could also go with TAS or BYOB, but Ive found them to be lacking IMO. Quickbooks is more flexible & inutitive as well as offering better support.

Advertisement