Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything you know about GLENOMENA

Options
  • 21-04-2008 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

hey all, headin into final year next year and thinking bout trying to get on-campus in glenomena? a bit sceptical about on-campus accommodation because i have heard a few bad reports about it and i was in one apartment in belgrove....:eek: rotten!
    wow theres just come the tallest fella ive ever seen into the health science computer room......hes a giant!!!
    Anyway, could yous let me know all about glenomena, read the ucd website and of course they make it sound magical.....but is it??
    do the rooms have ensuite, would you ever get any study done, is it good value???
    thanks guys!
    he really is a giant....must be about 7 foot!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭t_ucd

It's grand, you do have an ensuite but the bedroom's the same size as the Belgrove and Merville ones (unless you get lucky and get one of the "disabled" bedrooms which are twice the size). Wouldn't say it's good value, the only reason I'm paying this much is for the location really. The kitchen is a bit nicer but only has a microwave - no oven! I've found it can be fairly noisy but not as bad as Merville/Belgrove (was in Merville in first year). There's definitely a more "grown-up" feeling around here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Pharm07

no oven!??? agh! thats ****. used to live in an apartment in first yr that had no oven and it was hateful. never even use microwaves. hate not having an oven
    yeh, the location is great. handy walk to college in the mornings and i have a feeling i'll be in at 9 most mornings:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Pharm07 wrote: »
    is it good value???

One thing to bear in mind is that electricity can be close to 5eur a day. Now split that 6 ways and maybe its not the end of the world but it is exorbitant compared to market prices (the reason has something to do with the construction contracts and is apparently beyond UCD's control).

Yes you can get study done, at worst you'll at least be close to the library.

Campus is also fantastic when it comes to your social life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

t_ucd wrote: »
    The kitchen is a bit nicer but only has a microwave - no oven!
    :eek::eek::eek:
    eh....can i ask, how much are you paying for a tiny student flat with no oven?

:eek::eek::eek:
    eh....can i ask, how much are you paying for a tiny student flat with no oven?

i think it might be something like 120/wk or something similar.

God, im really fed up with college at the minute. Cant wait for the summer. still hav reports to do and still no study done....:( really fed up wit it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 marcos172

pharm07, actually i'm 6'7,but thanks for asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

i think it might be something like 120/wk or something similar.

God, im really fed up with college at the minute. Cant wait for the summer. still hav reports to do and still no study done....:( really fed up wit it.

it works out about 135 a week. I live there this year, tbh its not worth the money. the location is good but thats all really. electricity is a bitch, no oven, hard enough to get study done (though that could just be me :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

it works out about 135 a week. I live there this year, tbh its not worth the money. the location is good but thats all really. electricity is a bitch, no oven, hard enough to get study done (though that could just be me :P)
    are you counting the length of the lease or the ammount of weeks you live there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I'm presuming she's factoring in electricity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The nicest place to live on campus is Glen 9 & 10. They're brand new, you pay for your leccy at the beginning of the year with your first rent installment and again at the beginning of the summer. They're warm, not smelly, they'll only be 3 years open in September, the bathrooms aren't disgusting like Glen 1 to 8 and they're 50 week lease apartments.

I wouldn't live on campus though. Not with the way things are going.

• Advertisement

Yeah but with a 50 week lease they're only suited for postgrads.

marcos172 wrote: »
    pharm07, actually i'm 6'7,but thanks for asking.

oh, eh.....sorry! :(

damn i just dont know, does the ensuite come with a shower to? That'd be handy. and the warm thing is sounding good to me. The house i live in this year is freeeeeezzzinnggg but an electric blanket and a heater soon sorts that out! campus, house, campus, house.......:confused:
    i just dont know

Yep shower in all teh rooms.

Be weird otherwise to share showers but not toilets.

em a shower in all the rooms. wow, bet they've seen some nasty sights!! u live in glenomena steph?

No, lived in Roebuck last year though which is pretty much identical.

we've a ground floor flat & it is freezing. there was mould on the inside of the windows & windowsill :( *coughwheezecough*

we've a ground floor flat & it is freezing. there was mould on the inside of the windows & windowsill :( *coughwheezecough*

ah thats a disgrace. landlords or whoever are supposed to make sure the place is damp free. thats terrible. i'd be afraid of getting a ground floor apartment. third floor, thats where u wanna be! in first yr i was in a top floor apartment block, lovely and warm!

Ah it depends on the floor - I found top floors a bit draughty.

I'm currently doing the middle floor thing - probably the worst thing possible - noise from up and below - however it is very snug.

Don't forget the ants!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

t_ucd wrote: »
    Yeah but with a 50 week lease they're only suited for postgrads.

Not really. I never went home for the summer in my 4 years in UCD. I guess part of it was summer work in Dublin being much more easily achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

they arent all 50 weeks leases, there are 36 week or sept-may ones too.
    I had a ground floor on elast year and it was good, although Roebuck is way better this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I was in 1st yr last year in Roebuck, twas the biz. Great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

It also depends what you want out of your final year. If you want to go mad and hang out with young ones then one of the other accomodations are your best bet but if you want to work... I wouldn't recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vasilanthropos

Hi, i am thinking of moving to Glenomena too as a postgrad. Do the rooms or apartments have phone?

ok, so bottom floor is cold, top floor is drafty and middle floor is noisy. ****.

top floor would be the best for me i think.

Is there anyway you can request a floor? or is it just luck of the draw?

Hi, i am thinking of moving to Glenomena too as a postgrad. Do the rooms or apartments have phone?

nope!
    ok, so bottom floor is cold, top floor is drafty and middle floor is noisy. ****.

top floor would be the best for me i think.

Is there anyway you can request a floor? or is it just luck of the draw?

i don't think you can, unless you need the bottom floor for a disabled student or something.otherwise it's the luck of the draw!

Advertisement