Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Someone help me with my DJ setlist - black metal.

• 21-04-2008 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

I am DJing for a metal night. The people I'm doing it for tell me to include black metal. The problem is, I am a glam and power metal fan. I know very little about black metal. I need to buy a few CDs and know some tracks to play. They said the attendees want "proper" black metal, not trendy commercial stuff like Dimmu Borgir. They especially want Norwegian stuff. I know they like Mayhem. Can anyone recommend some bands, albums and tracks? I know alot of that kind of black metal had poor production quality, I think I need to find something good quality though. Links to let me listen to the music you suggest would be much appreciated as well!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Emperor-any
    Darkthrone-any
    Dark Funeral-any
    Burzum-any

All quality Scandanavian BM.

Anaal Nathrakh are a blistering contemporary UK based BM band.
    Try their album "the codex necro"
    Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

see if you can get your hands on:
    Drudkh
    Watain
    Negura Bunget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Emperor-any
    Darkthrone-any
    Dark Funeral-any
    Burzum-any

All quality Scandanavian BM.

Anaal Nathrakh are a blistering contemporary UK based BM band.
    Try their album "the codex necro"
    Great stuff.

This list is fine except for Burzum. The man behind burzum is a self-proclaimed nazi, so you might get a bad reaction off some people if you play this. You might also get a positive one- but I would advise you to steer clear anyway.

Cannibal Corpse - 'Hammer slashed face' (could have got the name wrong), I think this was the song which featured in 'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' with Jim Carrey; its one of the more well-known black metal songs (I bet some metal-nerd will repsond to this with some inane comment about how Cannibal Corpse are actually grindcore).

Listen to what you're going to put on before you play it, alot of black metal songs have very long and boring keyboard/synth intros, so try and play the heavy bits right after the song before has finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

ZakAttak wrote: »
    Cannibal Corpse - 'Hammer slashed face' (could have got the name wrong), I think this was the song which featured in 'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' with Jim Carrey; its one of the more well-known black metal songs (I bet some metal-nerd will repsond to this with some inane comment about how Cannibal Corpse are actually grindcore).

'Metal nerd' to thread - Cannibal Corpse are neither black metal or grindcore, if anything they are good old death metal. How you could classify them as black metal is beyond me. They sound nothing like black metal bands! Just listen to the guitars and vocals.

OP - play a few tracks from 'Storm of the Lights Bane' by Dissection. 'Nights Blood' or 'Thorns of Crimson Death' should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I am DJing for a metal night. The people I'm doing it for tell me to include black metal. The problem is, I am a glam and power metal fan. I know very little about black metal. I need to buy a few CDs and know some tracks to play. They said the attendees want "proper" black metal, not trendy commercial stuff like Dimmu Borgir. They especially want Norwegian stuff. I know they like Mayhem. Can anyone recommend some bands, albums and tracks? I know alot of that kind of black metal had poor production quality, I think I need to find something good quality though. Links to let me listen to the music you suggest would be much appreciated as well!

Bah, "Proper" Black Metal. I hate that kind of elitist nonsense, if I was DJ'ing I'd probably play Dimmu out of sheer spite, but I suppose that's not all that helpful for you. Anyway, I'll try and give you some specifics, such as song titles and links so that you can listen as well.

Emperor are a must. Some songs to consider, Ye Entrancemperium, Curse You All Men, The Eruption, Inno A Satana. Immortal. One By One, Withstand The Fall Of Time, At The Heart Of Winter, Sons Of Northern Darkness. Dissection. Night's Blood. Essentially anything from the album Storm Of The Light's Bane, you really can't go wrong with that album. Enslaved. Isa, Havenless. Also try - Negura Bunget - Cunoasterea Tacuta.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

ZakAttak wrote: »
    This list is fine except for Burzum. The man behind burzum is a self-proclaimed nazi, so you might get a bad reaction off some people if you play this. You might also get a positive one- but I would advise you to steer clear anyway.
    QUOTE]

I know all about Varg's dodgy world outlook but that doesnt take away from the fact he was at the forefront of the Norwegian BM movement.
    If the audience are old school then they will likely be fans of the band.Metal fans arent all that bothered by politics (could be wrong but myself and any friends dont care if the music is good) so Burzum will prob go down a treat.

As for the whole cannibal corpse been BM.

Errrr,I will leave it alone as its already been addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Yep I know all about Varg too. Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to order a few of those. Can anyone suggest some Norwegian metal band whose music would conjure up images of bleak snow-covered Norwegian moutains and cold wind blowing through your soul? The kind of thing that should be listened to at 2am on a cold dark night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Yep I know all about Varg too. Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to order a few of those. Can anyone suggest some Norwegian metal band whose music would conjure up images of bleak snow-covered Norwegian moutains and cold wind blowing through your soul? The kind of thing that should be listened to at 2am on a cold dark night?

Sounds like Immortal through and through! At the Heart of Winter being a recommended album as already mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Living Colour :p

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Nemesis Divina, especially the track Mother North by Satyricon, although they may not be enough of a 'proper' BM band for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Immortal - Solarfall is one of the few BM songs that I like. Has a decent enough beat for a moshpit to occur in a nightclub

Nolanger wrote: »
    Living Colour :p
    I fully endorse your product and/or service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Satrycon. They are kinda cool. Not sure if you class them as black metal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

I know all about Varg's dodgy world outlook but that doesnt take away from the fact he was at the forefront of the Norwegian BM movement.
    If the audience are old school then they will likely be fans of the band.Metal fans arent all that bothered by politics (could be wrong but myself and any friends dont care if the music is good) so Burzum will prob go down a treat.

I didn't say he was bad or good or even that he wasn't influential. I was talking in terms of playing records in front of lots of people you don't know- it mightn't go down well with some people, and they have every right to be offended.

Saying metal fans aren't bothered by politics is a bit ridiculous- its like saying all metal fans love really hot curries; I'm sure if you did a bit of investigation you would find that some of them are bothered by politics and some of them don't like curry at all- different strokes for different folks.

If you were D.J.ing a wedding, would you play Gary Glitter?

Are Deicide Black Metal?'cos their album 'Legion' is the politician's bollocks with extra-hot curry smeared all over them, its f**kin deadly.

I think Celtic Frost have a song called 'I wont dance', that might suit the sentiment of your clientele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 whose-law-anywa

Emperor, dark Throne & immortal deffo... put in some Ulver too, this band are awesome and i'm pretty sure "In the Red" would get folk going for the contrast but maddness of it amongst the more traditional stuff such as "Evelen Follows Behind Vase"

Does anyone know if there are any available to buy Mayhem albums on which Dead was the vocalist? (apart from the live one.)

Does anyone know if there are any available to buy Mayhem albums on which Dead was the vocalist? (apart from the live one.)

Dawn of the Black Hearts, but it's rather hard to get.

Is that the only one? There are some on ebay but they are pretty expensive.

Fraid so. It wouldn't really be essential though, so don't go out of your way and get something expensive just for a DJ slot.

Anything from De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas should go down well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭TYR ->

Yes!
    Storm, or old Satyricon (Dark Medieval Times) truely LOVED by hard core Norwegian black metal fans! That will make you very popular! Trust me, I worked in Norway in a metal pub, always a great hit around 2am when everyone is pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭TYR ->

And also Darkthrone or Immortal never fails. Darkthrone is a must for the true "underground" black metal lovers. Dimmu just will not do! Its unheard of in Norway. Only for 12 year old boys that stuff is for! I'm NBM through and through! but Storm will get you the winning ticket. Its a once off album compield of old Norse folk songs made by Fenriz of Darkthrone and Satyr of Satyricon (before he went soft in the head!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

1349 - Hellfire

Borknagar - Borknagar

Carpathian Forest - Defending The Throne Of Evil

Gorgoroth - Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam

Graveland - Following The Voice Of Blood (more NSBM)

Keep of Kalessin - Armada ( i highly recommend this)

Melechesh - Emissaries

Old Man's Child - Vermin

Vintersorg - The Focusing Blur (proggy BM)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

marduk - Imago Mortis from their excellent album ROM 5:12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Ah you don't want everyone going around looking all morbid at this dj party thing. There's plenty of not so depressing black metal out there.

Dragonlord (US)-

Naglfar (Sweden)-

I especially like this video, depicts the music very well: (lord of the rings stuff!)

Windir (Norweigan)-

Advertisement