Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB Pedals - what should I consider ?

Options
  • 21-04-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I tried out the new trail @ Derroura / Oughterard yesterday, and I noticed that the standard pedals that came with my bike are not very grippy.

So if I'm to consider getting a new set, what should I be looking at?

I'm not sure on the lingo, so I should be getting plain old flat pedals, ones that are flat on one side, clips for shoes on the other, or should I be getting pedals I can put straps on.

This is for recreational XC, so I'm not looking for anything fancy.
    I'm also hoping to commute using the same bike, just switch the wheels out for slicks, so thats also something to be considered when chossing them.

All recomendations gratefully appreciated.

Finally - is there any real difference between these?
    V8
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3177
    V8 Copy
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=563

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The V8s have a grease port, so they should keep running smoothly as long as you keep injecting fresh grease in every now and again. The copies won't last as long.

For XC use your options are flats (like the V8s above) or clipless. I wouldn't bother with the 1/2 flat / 1/2 clip ones for riding offroad although they're good for commuting. Personally I'd say go for clipless - either Shimano SPD or Time ATAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Morgan wrote: »
    The V8s have a grease port, so they should keep running smoothly as long as you keep injecting fresh grease in every now and again. The copies won't last as long.

For XC use your options are flats (like the V8s above) or clipless. I wouldn't bother with the 1/2 flat / 1/2 clip ones for riding offroad although they're good for commuting. Personally I'd say go for clipless - either Shimano SPD or Time ATAC.

Ok, for clipless you need the proper shoes, right?

If I was to avoid getting shoes, whats the best option?
    Should I be looking at toe-clips, or just pedals with a good grip?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Yes, you need to get cycling shoes to use clipless pedals and it's a very worthwhile investment. If you don't want to do that then flats are your only real option. Some are grippier than others (depending on the shape and number of pins) - check the Chain Reaction reviews. I wouldn't feel comfortable using clips and straps on a MTB - that's so, like, 1985. Clipless are so much easier to disengage from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

ive v8s they are unbelievably good at gripping, BUT ive had terrible trouble with the cones consistantly loosening.

id go with the v12 which have sealed cartride bearings:)

Thanks for the replies guys.

A couple more questions for you on the V8s / V12s.
    I'm assuming you're fairly experienced and do quite a bit of mileage on your mtb.
    If I'm not going to be out too often, maybe a couple of times a week, max, then am I likely to have cone issues with the V8s, or does it depend on how rough you treat them?

The V8s require occasional greasing, by occasional, is that once a month/week, every few months?
    Also, would I be right in assuming the sealed V12s ensures no greasing necessary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I have a pair of V8 copys and they've been great so far. I've only been out riding up the mountains once since I got them(in January) but ride at least 4 hrs a week and they're yet to come loose or need a regreasing.

But if you're not in a rush I'd get these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/08-WELLGO-MG-1-Pedal-MG1-BMX-DH-Pedals-White_W0QQitemZ230245334844QQihZ013QQcategoryZ36137QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122

Made by the same company that manufacture the real V8 and V12's. Comes with sealed bearings and are made from a magnesium alloy to save weight.

Thanks for the replies guys.

A couple more questions for you on the V8s / V12s.
    I'm assuming you're fairly experienced and do quite a bit of mileage on your mtb.
    If I'm not going to be out too often, maybe a couple of times a week, max, then am I likely to have cone issues with the V8s, or does it depend on how rough you treat them?

The V8s require occasional greasing, by occasional, is that once a month/week, every few months?
    Also, would I be right in assuming the sealed V12s ensures no greasing necessary?

mine are greased every 2 months.
    i do alot of dirt jumping and DH so they get seriously abused, with crashes and hitting them off rocks, so id say this accounts for them coming loose.
    you dont have to grease the v12 as they are a sealed cartridge, 2x the price though:D

but again ive never had a pedal grip as well as these.
    id reccomend shin guards with them though because if you slip the studs will give you a nice scar;):D

So it seems sealed are better than greased.

Whats the experts thoughts on these?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=665

At the same price as the DMR V8s & just under half the price of the DMR V12s, are they a good value purchase?

Also - these are quite a bit bigger/heavier than cage flats - whats the pros and cons of each type?

i havnt used them so dont know, id give them a shot, if you are using them off road...I.E abusing them they will probably get damaged anyways.

like i said the v8s have their bearing issues under hard use so, id give these a shot and see:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

SPDs are well worth it and the shoes start pretty cheap. I would not consider toe clips and straps for off-road, think that would be pretty dangerous (toe clips+straps are much more difficult to get out of in a hurry.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement