Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car, advice and opinion needed

Options
  • 21-04-2008 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Thinking about getting my first car soon enough, have a budget of < €9000, was wondering what people think of this http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/1.4-COLLECTION/1022613/ ?

Was also thinking about VW Golf or Renault Laguna, not really set on anything, although value for money seems to be poor with the golf. Just looking for a bit of opinion really!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I wouldnt spend that much on a 1st car to be honest.

My 1st car was a 87D micra haha.. cost 150 bought it on Boards.ie :)

I would go for a small car nothing over 1.4,
    The car you have linked to is nice...

But with it been you 1st car you could bump it / dent it / crash.. ya never know.. I would spend about 2k on a car drive it for about 3 or 4 months and then move up.

Just my suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

depends on the car you want to get? do you want a 3dr or 5dr? stand 1.4 or higher spec engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Sorry should have been more specific. Ive been driving around the parent's '95 starlet for about 2 years as a named driver so im ready to get something nicer at this stage :p.

As for my preferences, hatchback, 3dr or 5dr, engine size will be max 1.6L. Just looking for something to get me from a to b in a bit of style, hoping for something half as reliable as the bulletproof starlet! Not likely in this day and age tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i have a 1.6 sport sunny if you want it ?? all electric , alloys , front disc brakes...

reletless little motor... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

my first car was (and still is, although I am going to change it soon) skoda octavia 1.6 petrol. after a year driving it I bought '99 206 with 1.4 engine for my gf and I can say one thing: I will never recommend something like underpowered 1.0 to be a first car - no acceleration, no way of overtaking, in fact all you do driving cars like this is to learn that your place is always behind everyone else, no matter how slow they drive is.

I'd say that 1.4 focus wouldn't be bad, just maybe don't go for a 9k one but pick something cheaper instead and maybe in a year time you buy something nicer

and btw: I've been driving for over year and a half, and never got pulled over for speeding (because I'm not speeding at all), no point, no tickets (apart from one for not paying tax, but it's sorted now) and - which is most important for me - never ever even scratched the car

• Advertisement

@ S.I.R. I'll be going through a dealer but thanks for the offer!

Id be inclined to agree that 1.4L would be the right size for me (starlet was a 1.3i, so a bigger 1.4 should have similar grunt?). As for the price, Im set on shelling out a bit (that black focus is only €8k by the way).

Could anyone compare the focus with the golf? For example http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/1.4/865819/
    versus the focus above. On paper there seems to be no contest. Will I just have to test drive them and see???

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That Golf is seriously overpriced. Almost €8k for an 8 year old one is crazy imo.

The only downside I can see about the Focus is that the interior is less posh than the Golfs but that would still not be a good enough reason for me to choose the Golf.

Focus has far better road handling than the MkIV Golf too. 1.4 litre Focus has 80bhp and the 1.4 litre Golf has 75bhp so both will not set the world alight but as a first car they should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

We have a few abused Focus at work as pool cars, they seem to stand up well to the abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I think the Focus is a grand first car. I wouldn't be a big fan of the 1.0's either.

The only thing I would say is the one you are looking at is probably a bit over priced. There are pleanty more of them out there available at better value.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/1.4i-LX/925105/

Another car you might consider in the same class is the Seat Leon. If I was where you were today, it's probably what I would look for.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/SEAT/Leon/1.6-SIGNO/1011778/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

yes to the Seat Leon especially if you like the VW Golf- they are pretty much the same car but the Seat is marketed as sportier and younger. The Seat is cheaper and has better specs. Plus they're nowhere near as common!!!
    A Seat Ibiza is also pretty much a VW Polo, again just in different wrapping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

What age are you. Why not go for a 1.6 it'll hardly be a dramatic increase in your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

€8000 for an 8 year old car is crazy money. Considering I have a 2000 fiat bravo with similar power to the focus and golf (1.2 16v, 80bhp) that i paid €1700 for just over 6 months ago. No doubt there'll be a gaggle of people on here bashing fiats but tbh, I don't care. Car has given me no trouble whatsoever.

Now my point is this: Do you have to spend €8-9000 on a car? Why not get a cheaper Fiat? If you do by any chance look at Brav's the ones to get are the 1.2 16v engine, (the 1.4 12v was troublesome) and the 1.9 JTD with 105bhp, which also does over 52 mpg, if you're considering diesel.

Just my 2c, but since I took the plunge and went with the Fiat (despite 'fix it again tomorrow' attitudes) I have fallen in love with the car. Already looking at getting a high spec jtd when i can afford one.

masseyno9 wrote: »
    €8000 for an 8 year old car is crazy money. Considering I have a 2000 fiat bravo with similar power to the focus and golf (1.2 16v, 80bhp) that i paid €1700 for just over 6 months ago. No doubt there'll be a gaggle of people on here bashing fiats but tbh, I don't care. Car has given me no trouble whatsoever.

Now my point is this: Do you have to spend €8-9000 on a car? Why not get a cheaper Fiat? If you do by any chance look at Brav's the ones to get are the 1.2 16v engine, (the 1.4 12v was troublesome) and the 1.9 JTD with 105bhp, which also does over 52 mpg, if you're considering diesel.

Just my 2c, but since I took the plunge and went with the Fiat (despite 'fix it again tomorrow' attitudes) I have fallen in love with the car. Already looking at getting a high spec jtd when i can afford one.

apart of course of the acronym, fiat is ugly as hell, both inside and from outside, and again - it's still fiat. ibiza is way better choice.

fiat as a first car? yeah, if you want to spend no more than e500

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    apart of course of the acronym, fiat is ugly as hell, both inside and from outside, and again - it's still fiat. ibiza is way better choice.

fiat as a first car? yeah, if you want to spend no more than e500

Well that didn't take long :rolleyes:

Just looked at a couple of Ibizas there on carzone, and the interior is not all that different between the 2 cars. Neither are spectacular tbh.

My point was that €8000 was a lot for an 8 year old car. Offered the guy a cheaper alternative, with a bit of info i picked up while looking at them. There are plenty of other cheap alternatvies. And as far as it being 'ugly' then its different strokes for different folks i guess.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Massey, I think Fiat are out really, they are pot luck as far as im concerned.

Im 21 btw, just double checked the insurance, Quinn arent charging me a penny more for a 1.6 zetec over a 1.4 lx. Can that be right? It changes things a bit cos there isnt a huge price difference between them anyway.... Is there any reason to worry about a focus with 80k-90k miles on it? Is it well worth going for the 1.6???

As for the Leon, havent looked at them much yet but my mate has one ill ask him

No offense taken over the Fiats. Just don't feel the need to spend €9000 just because you can. That was my main point, the fiat thing was just personal preference!

EDIT: i'm 21 too, insurance can be cheap enough on diesels i hear. Golf 1.9 diesel has been quoted on here as being only a couple of hundred more than the 1.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

alanucc wrote: »
    @ S.I.R. I'll be going through a dealer but thanks for the offer!

Why do you have to go through a dealer, you could pick up the same car with the same kind of history for about €2000 less than a dealer will charge you, just beacue the car is more expensive dosen't make it any better, take a mechanic friend with you, don't dismiss good offers just because there private....saying that you probably right about giving the 1.6 sunny a knock on head....

Stay away from golfs, there as boring as hell in there basic format...

You've 2 years motoring under your belt which might help you a little with insurance if you've a full licence...

I went for a bmw as my first car as the insurance wasn't much higher...

i think you should go have a look at this car even if you wouldn't buy private...

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/316/car/835333/

Sweet starter motor....:cool:

Im going through a dealer this time round because of the the warranty and security of it, ill take the hit of the higher price. Id consider going private next time round maybe. That beemer is a sweet little number tho.

Ive had the full license for 2 years as well so 1.6L looks very do-able with regards insurance anyway. Any thoughts on what kind of mileage would be reasonable?

Im going through a dealer this time round because of the the warranty and security of it, ill take the hit of the higher price. Id consider going private next time round maybe. That beemer is a sweet little number tho.

Ive had the full license for 2 years as well so 1.6L looks very do-able with regards insurance anyway. Any thoughts on what kind of mileage would be reasonable?

it depends of how long do you intend to keep the car, and how much mileage you'll be doing

i believe 85k wouldn't be bad for a 8 years old car, that 10k/year which is very reasonable

Im going through a dealer this time round because of the the warranty and security of it

Any thoughts on what kind of mileage would be reasonable?

Alan if your pay €2000 less for the car you can afford for something to go wrong, If you buy from a dealer and your engine blows your up **** creek as no warranty will cover it....dealer or no dealer...look for a healthy car with no bodywork and a service history.....

Milage all depends on the car....if it was a mercedes, toyota, or bmw milage is not that important as long i as the car feels, looks and drives nearly as new...90,000 miles is nothing on a bmw but it's a life time on a 1.4 golf..

What car would you love? Forget about every thing else...and don't tell me you'd love a focus or golf.....what car would you like in 5years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Drunk Monkey makes a good point, sometimes you can get so caught up in "the sensible and secure thing to do" that you lose the whole fun of it. You want something that is fun to drive aswell! Unfortunatley I drive a mazda 3 which is brilliantly reliable, but it's boring as hell! I took the sensible route and now lust for something with a punch!(and a bigger engine...)

Alan if your pay €2000 less for the car you can afford for something to go wrong, If you buy from a dealer and your engine blows your up **** creek as no warranty will cover it....dealer or no dealer...look for a healthy car with no bodywork and a service history.....

I take your point 100% but be that as it may, its far more work in chasing down the best private deal, which im not prepared to do right now, plus a far more likely scenario imo is that lots of little things go wrong with the car that warranties do cover. As I say, next time round
    what car would you like in 5years?

Not sure why you ask this (Audi, BMW, who knows???), anyway ill be looking to keep this car 2-3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭walshe

in my opinion go for the focus as running costs seem to be cheaper, i work in a tyre and exhaust centre and rarely see a focus needing much work. where as golfs seem to forever need replacment catalitic converters at 4- 600e (whereas focus is 3-350e max)and suspension parts seem to wear out more often too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

toyota cars are untouchable see carzone link above that would be my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chergar

Couldnt Recommend a focus more.

Simple matter is, they are cheap to run, cheap to service and if they do break, they are cheap to fix.

But they shouldnt break. Not if your good to it, and if your not,:D then you can have alot of fun in a focus. They handle brilliantly as anyone who has given one a real go can atest to. 1.4 will be pretty slow mind you, typical ford like that but around town, and on the ocassional country road it will be great fun to bomb into corners in.
    I'd recommend the hatchback, because the saloon is rather poxy looking, and you'l be mistaken for the guards all the time. Probably not cool for a young guy. :pac::pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

You need at least a 1.6 in a Focus, Golf etc.

They're only a small bit dearer than a 1.4 to run(because of higher road tax and insurance) but you get a vastly superior driving experience. 1.4s are a way of getting around on soon to be replaced tax laws. Nobody buys 1.4's in the UK, all 1.6 minimum, and for good reason too: those pint sized engines are not designed for those cars and never sell in countries that see sense and don't have the engine size phobia we have in this country.

A Corolla will put you to sleep. It is a Toyota after all. They're so boring inside. Reminds me of a hearse with all the black in there.

I second(or third or whatever one we're by now:p) the Focus, but it has to be the 1.6(though the TDCi is meant to be very good too). Because they are less desirable than the 1.4 you'll be able to buy one for less, or else get a newer/lower mileage one too.

why you ask (Audi, BMW, who knows???), anyway ill be looking to keep this car 2-3 years

that bmw, I think it's one of the best buys if you'd consider a coupe, it might be worth a second look.......http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/316/car/835333/ , it's no harm to drive out and have a look....

It's got all the toys and heated black leather, it's a good colour, looks smart, milage is correct, full serviced recently and with full service history.....

you won't get the same spec car in audi, toyota, ford, vw or dealers to easily, if you keep it tidy for 2 or 3 years it's still worth good money......

if you got it for 7999, that would be a very good deal.....

or you could always consider a focus coupe

check this one out she's a beauty....

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/1.4-COLLECTION/1021721/ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

that bmw, I think it's one of the best buys if you'd consider a coupe, it might be worth a second look.......http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/316/car/835333/ , it's no harm to drive out and have a look....

It's got all the toys and heated black leather, it's a good colour, looks smart, milage is correct, full serviced recently and with full service history.....

you won't get the same spec car in audi, toyota, ford, vw or dealers to easily, if you keep it tidy for 2 or 3 years it's still worth good money......

if you got it for 7999, that would be a very good deal.....:D

Man, that is a fine looking car, but it is NOT good value. Its a 98 1.6 316i coupe? You can get MINT 98-99 318is's with that kinda wedge, they are a much better package, there's some beautys on carzone with full leather etc. The one you pointed out is a bit of an all show, no go car.

Is it yours, are you flogging it?

OP: Looks like a 1.6 focus matches your needs. I would suggest buying privately though as you are always going to get a better deal. A lot of people seem put off by it, but just be cautious and you could save yourself some serious dosh which you would otherwise be putting in a salesmans pocket. You've got the 'net so just pick out a few of the best ones near you and ring up about them. It'll only take an hour some evening to look at it and if its good you could land yourself a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I take your point 100% but be that as it may, its far more work in chasing down the best private deal, which im not prepared to do right now, plus a far more likely scenario imo is that lots of little things go wrong with the car that warranties do cover. As I say, next time round

Not sure why you ask this (Audi, BMW, who knows???), anyway ill be looking to keep this car 2-3 years

A Most garage warranties ain't worth the paper their written on. 3 months gearbox & engine ain't worth an extra 2K. Go private and if its a lemon so be it but plenty of people have gotten lemons from garages as well.

Advertisement