Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car, advice and opinion needed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

You could always pay a mechanic/AA to do a full inspection, might cost a few quid but you still save a bundle over a dealer.
    With all the clocking etc. going on I'd say the security you'd get buying from a dealer is minimal at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

PaulKK wrote: »
    Man, that is a fine looking car, but it is NOT good value. Its a 98 1.6 316i coupe? You can get MINT 98-99 318is's with that kinda wedge, they are a much better package, there's some beautys on carzone with full leather etc. The one you pointed out is a bit of an all show, no go car.

Is it yours, are you flogging it?

No it's not mine, Just thought it was the best on offer in a 1.6..... i'd agree about getting a 318is if you could insure it easily enough......that would be a great first car.....not sure if it's a good idea to a recommend a 160bhp rear wheel drive sports car to a toyota startlet driver.......the 316 is only 100bhp, quicker than and cooler than a focus but still not enough power to get you in some trouble.....

You'll buy the focus, it will start to annoy you, you'll loose a testicle when you sell it......buy a bmw coupe (not a compact) and you won't be disappointed.....i'd rather be fixing a broken bmw than a broken ford any day of the week....

The Focus sucks and it driven buy old people who smell of wee.....

here's some of the cars I've owned - still proud to say i've never owned a toyota or ford...but i have borrowed other peoples :p

VW Passat (my mums) - I took it through a wall

nissan sunny 1.6 - crashed it twice then blew the engine

Citroen BX 1.9 - Turned it over

Black lowered Bmw e30 1.8 coupe (my first car) - Drove it for 2 years, solid it for what I paid for it.....took it through a wall but it held together so was repaired....if I was in a ford, nissan or toyota....I wouldn't be here now...

Bmw e36 318is - kept for a year - sold for a profit

VW golf gti red i - kept for a year - sold for a profit

Bmw e36 Alpina - Kept for a year - sold again for a profit

Nissan 200sx Turbo - 1year - sold for profit

Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI - kept for 6mts - lost about €500 - loved the car and will buy 1 again sometime...

Subaru Impreza STI - Blew the engine 3 times - parked in my garden

Mercedes 200 Kompressor - love it....hopefully sell for a profit in the next year....

The choice is up to you......;) but if the cars not worth stealing it's not worth buying....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

No it's not mine, Just thought it was the best on offer in a 1.6..... i'd agree about getting a 318is if you could insure it easily enough......that would be a great first car.....not sure if it's a good idea to a recommend a 160bhp rear wheel drive sports car to a toyota startlet driver.......the 316 is only 100bhp, quicker than and cooler than a focus but still not enough power to get you in some trouble.....

VW Passat (my mums) - I took it through a wall

nissan sunny 1.6 - crashed it twice then blew the engine

Citroen BX 1.9 - Turned it over

Black lowered Bmw e30 1.8 coupe (my first car) - Drove it for 2 years, solid it for what I paid for it.....took it through a wall but it held together so was repaired....if I was in a ford, nissan or toyota....I wouldn't be here now...

Subaru Impreza STI - Blew the engine 3 times - parked in my garden

The choice is up to you......;)

The 318is is 140bhp not 160, however I wasn't suggesting the OP get one, I was merely pointing out that one could buy a far better car for less.

Dude what kind of driving do you do?
    Crashed into a couple of walls and blown a few engines :eek:

but if the cars not worth stealing it's not worth buying....

Looks like you drive your cars like you stole them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

How do you make that out? Obviously if the car could be fixed the crash was hardly going to hammer a toyota or a nissan out of it.

Might be an idea to get another set of 'L' plates. You obviously don't respect your cars if you've wrecked so many of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

yeah what the hell way are you driving???????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

lol drunkmonkey, I think you lost any credit you had in this thread with that post. Ever consider a career as destruction derby driver?

Im softening a bit to going for a private sale, its hard to argue with the price difference...

I think ill be looking for a 1.6L, youve all convinced me :D. I never thought that the price gap between 1.4L and 1.6L was so small. Practically the same price to buy, same insurance quote, €100 odd extra per annum tax and a tiny bit more thirsty. You'd be mad not to!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

NeVeR wrote: »
    I wouldnt spend that much on a 1st car to be honest.

My 1st car was a 87D micra haha.. cost 150 bought it on Boards.ie :)

I would go for a small car nothing over 1.4,
    The car you have linked to is nice...

But with it been you 1st car you could bump it / dent it / crash.. ya never know.. I would spend about 2k on a car drive it for about 3 or 4 months and then move up.

Just my suggestion.
    lol I spent €12000 on my first car last week, a 407 1.8l

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

ShaneU wrote: »
    lol I spent €12000 on my first car last week, a 407 1.8l

Fine for some...:rolleyes:

Advertisement