Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do non-believers concern themselves with religion?

Options
  • 21-04-2008 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

MOD EDIT

Just allowing the splinter discussion from the "Religion is ‘the new social evil" thread some breathing space. There are some points here to be hammered out. Posts moved from that thread where possible.

So for the record Kelly1 hasn't started the thread - just the topic!

Thanks!

It's amazing, for an Atheist/Agnostic forum how much discussion here is around religion. But then again why bother discussing something you don't believe in...

Also I would imagine a high percentage of posters here don't just have no belief in God, but are in fact anti-religion.

Might be good idea to rename this forum to Atheism, Agnosticism and Anti-theism maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

kelly1 wrote: »
    It's amazing, for an Atheist/Agnostic forum how much discussion here is around religion. But then again why bother discussing something you don't believe in...

Also I would imagine a high percentage of posters here don't just have no belief in God, but are in fact anti-religion.

Might be good idea to rename this forum to Atheism, Agnosticism and Anti-theism maybe?

You could be right but I personally live for the day when the world is governed by secular humanists. :) Long live the day when I can turn on rte radio at 6 o'clock and there are no f**kin bells.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't believe in Moby Dick but I've no problem discussing it on the literature forum. Just because one doesn't believe gods exist doesn't change the fact that the opposite belief has a huge impact on the society we all share.

Why not change the Christianity forum to the Christianity & Creationism forum while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Dades wrote: »
    I don't believe in Moby Dick but I've no problem discussing it on the literature forum. Just because one doesn't believe gods exist doesn't change the fact that the opposite belief has a huge impact on the society we all share.

Why not change the Christianity forum to the Christianity & Creationism forum while we're at it.
    At least Creationism is in the realm of religion. It's a legit question. Why do atheists discussion religion so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Why do atheists discussion religion so much?

Because it's important and pertinent? Topical? Interesting? Challenging?

This is a discussion board; most atheists don't go around chatting about how cool it is to be an athiest. If you go to a discussion board, you're going to find discussion.

If you go to an AA meeting, you might hear mention of alcohol.

Start a new thread if you want, it's off topic here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

DaveMcG wrote: »

This is a discussion board; most atheists don't go around chatting about how cool it is to be an athiest. If you go to a discussion board, you're going to find discussion.

If you go to an AA meeting, you might hear mention of alcohol.

Start a new thread if you want, it's off topic here

I can't for the life of me find the 'People who don't play chess' board. Can you direct me?:p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

JimiTime wrote: »
    I can't for the life of me find the 'People who don't play chess' board. Can you direct me?:p:D

Yeah but people playing chess has no bearing on the lives of those who don't.

Religions on the other hand, with their persistent lobbying of Governments affect the lives of everyone regardless of faith or lack there of. Whether it be abortion referendums, school and education, gay marriage or even the intentional bringing about of the Apocalypse (now THAT effects everybody!), religions can have big implications on those who don't believe in their teachings.
    I'm not American either, ergo should I just drop all interest I have in American politics because I don't live in America, even though what happens in America has a big impact on my life?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I can't for the life of me find the 'People who don't play chess' board
    Aye, but you can find more than a few places stuffed with people who see it as their highest duty to tell all that chess is The One True Game, that you can never be truly happy playing anything else, that all draughts-players are going to spend eternity burning in a lake of sulfer and that non-games players are a pack of imperceptive pillocks who are incapable of recognising "truth", morally bereft, hell-bound, argumentative and arrogant.

N'est pas?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That sir, was an amazing analogy...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I found this post on another forum...

"It's amazing, for an communist forum how much discussion here is around capitalism. But then again why bother discussing something you don't believe in...

Also I would imagine a high percentage of posters here don't just have no belief in capitalism, but are in fact anti-capitalism.

Might be good idea to rename this forum to Communism and Capitalism maybe?"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd imagine the main reason is because it still impacts on their life. It's still difficult not to come in contact or be affected by the beliefs of the Catholic Church in this country and elsewhere, it's even more previlant.

• Advertisement

Joking aside - DaveMcG mods the Non-Drinkers forum - do you see any sense behind that group? Why don't you ask him?

Noel, I see you're up to your old tricks of asking questions, ignoring the answers, and re-asking the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

JimiTime
    I can't for the life of me find the 'People who don't play chess' board. Can you direct me?

Oh no now you are going to kick off a holy war between the queen's side and the kings side opening zealots. Just don't get this crowd started on bishops.

I am now going to change my forum name from cave to upsidedown-climbing dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

I reckon it's due to the number of antitheists on here (inc. myself).

Unless boards decide to set up a forum specifically for antitheists, I don't see it changing. Course, then kelly1 would just start posting in the antitheist forum asking the same stupid questions.

Long live the day when I can turn on rte radio at 6 o'clock and there are no f**kin bells.

I disagree with but do understand ( I think ) the reason behind the bells but:

My clock radio woke me up to a full rendition of God save the queen this morning at 7am on Radio 4. I still haven't figured out why, I was too groggy to understand whatever the announcer said.

DaveMcG wrote: »

You make it sound like there's no value in atheism. It's so without merit that you have to find something else to talk about and why not the very thing that you don't believe in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Because atheism goes as far as I don't believe in god, I'm not asleep, I'm awake to the reality that I am the master of my own destiny. Now what's all these theists getting in my way!!!!

Galvasean wrote: »
    Religions on the other hand, with their persistent lobbying of Governments affect the lives of everyone regardless of faith or lack there of. Whether it be abortion referendums, school and education, gay marriage or even the intentional bringing about of the Apocalypse (now THAT effects everybody!), religions can have big implications on those who don't believe in their teachings.
    Everyone has a right to contribute to the decision making processes that affect our lives. Why shouldn't someone campaign agaisnt abortion or the abolition of religious practices in schools? What's wrong with trying to halt the moral decay in society? And please don't tell me that allowing abortion is progressive or advances civilization!
    I'd imagine the main reason is because it still impacts on their life. It's still difficult not to come in contact or be affected by the beliefs of the Catholic Church in this country and elsewhere, it's even more previlant.
    I think the Church has very little impact for non-catholics really.
    Noel, I see you're up to your old tricks of asking questions, ignoring the answers, and re-asking the question.
    Honestly, I'm not up to any tricks. Which question did I not answer?

adamd164 wrote: »
    Course, then kelly1 would just start posting in the antitheist forum asking the same stupid questions.
    Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Galvasean wrote: »
    Yeah but people playing chess has no bearing on the lives of those who don't.

I'm not American either, ergo should I just drop all interest I have in American politics because I don't live in America, even though what happens in America has a big impact on my life?

Precisely. Indeed, all of the responses to my post I expected and understand fully. In responding in such a way though, what is shown is that rather than Atheism being comparable to 'Not liking chess is a hobby' as the cliche goes, it is alot less innocuous than that, as most who seem to feel the need to label themselves as 'Atheist' also are 'Anti-Theist'. Noels point was that what is exhibited here on a regular basis is 'Anti-Theism'. So many here have said that Atheism is just a non belief in a deity. In its purist language form, I suppose they're right. In reality though, those who say 'I'm Atheist', have made a concious decision Not to believe in a deity. It indicates a thought process. It just so happens that alot of these 'Atheists' are also 'Anti Theist'. Which again goes back to Noels original point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

You make it sound like there's no value in atheism. It's so without merit that you have to find something else to talk about and why not the very thing that you don't believe in.
    The general topic of why people believe strange things is a very broad and very interesting one. One doesn't have to be religious, or indeed anti-religion by the same token, to find the topic of religion interesting.

Once somebody has come to the position of not believing in any particular diety then is there is only so much to disuss about atheism itself. As a position it's not really that interesting in and of itself, it's where you go from there is what is worth discussing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Everyone has a right to contribute to the decision making processes that affect our lives. Why shouldn't someone campaign agaisnt abortion or the abolition of religious practices in schools? What's wrong with trying to halt the moral decay in society? And please don't tell me that allowing abortion is progressive or advances civilization!

Interesting. I have always wondered do Atheists generally go out of their way to oppose anything the Catholic Church says?

Like, are there any Atheists here who are opposed to abortion?

*I'm sort of undecided on the issue for the record*

Precisely. Indeed, all of the responses to my post I expected and understand fully. In responding in such a way though, what is shown is that rather than Atheism being comparable to 'Not liking chess is a hobby' as the cliche goes, it is alot less innocuous than that, as most who seem to feel the need to label themselves as 'Atheist' also are 'Anti-Theist'. Noels point was that what is exhibited here on a regular basis is 'Anti-Theism'. So many here have said that Atheism is just a non belief in a deity. In its purist language form, I suppose they're right. In reality though, those who say 'I'm Atheist', have made a concious decision Not to believe in a deity. It indicates a thought process. It just so happens that alot of these 'Atheists' are also 'Anti Theist'. Which again goes back to Noels original point.
    Thanks Jimi.

Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens etc are the kind of atheists that I object to. If they were pure atheists, they wouldn't go about spouting their twisted gospel of hatred for religion and God. They have no idea the damage they're doing as they mess with people's faith in God. I'll bet books like the Selfish Gene and the God Delusion has destroyed the last little bit of faith that 1000s of people had clung on to. I read about one guys who went into a clinical depression for years after reading the S.G. These guys are true anti-Christs, doing the devils work. And still they're hailed as some kind of secular messiahs! God help us!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

What's wrong with trying to halt the moral decay in society?
    Well, that's where we disagree. Contrary to millions of words of pro-decay propaganda from the church, the Daily Telegraph and vast numbers of right-wing publications, I don't think there's any significant "moral decay" happening. Rather the contrary, that people are more educated, have higher standards of living, live longer, have happier and more free lives, than has ever occurred in general society in the past.

Would you prefer to live in the past where you seem to think that "morals" were "undecayed", or would you prefer to live now?

Like, are there any Atheists here who are opposed to abortion?
    Replies to that question on a postcard to this thread please.
    Otherwise this thread is over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Replies to that question on a postcard to this thread please.
    Otherwise this thread is over.

Thanks Dades.

I don't need a specific answer though, that thread is grand.

In reality though, those who say 'I'm Atheist', have made a concious decision Not to believe in a deity.
    The idea of making a conscious decision to believe something, sounds about right from a theist perspective, but less so from an atheistic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

If they were pure atheists, they wouldn't go about spouting their twisted gospel of hatred for religion and God.
    What's a 'pure atheist'?
    They have no idea the damage they're doing as they mess with people's faith in God. I'll bet books like the Selfish Gene and the God Delusion has destroyed the last little bit of faith that 1000s of people had clung on to.
    You say that like it has to be a bad thing. I found many parts of TGD, and other writing by Dawkins, quite uplifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

They have no idea the damage they're doing as they mess with people's faith in God.

ha. Coming from a hardcore Catholic, that's actually pretty funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have an irish relitive who in our phone conversations tells me time and time again that she is an atheist .I have come to the conclusion that the only reason she repeatedly tells me this is because she thinks it's so cool like the way some people use to say ' this week i'm a born again hari kristna ' .

She probably wonders why i have not expressed shock and awe or shout down the phone ......WoW

Advertisement