Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the longest youve spent playing a video game?

Options
  • 21-04-2008 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

in one sitting that is.

for me it was final fantasy 9 , start playing at 11.00 am finished at 2.00pm next day (27 hours total) . I think that was the longest anyway, Ive had a few days like that before on different games,
    (of coarse bathroom breaks and food breaks are counted in , just not sleeping or turning the game off!)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've played Warcraft (at the height of my addiction) for about 16 hours straight. 10am to 2am the next morning. Man that game had so much to do, and was soo bloody addictive. I'd regularly do 10 hour shifts as well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Done loads of 8-10 hour sessions including only breaks for bathroom and maybe a bit of food, but the longest stint ever I'd say was 14 hours on GTA Vice City when it'd just come out. Went to bed still seeing the city streets whizzing past my eyes - weird night that one! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

never played warcraft , played alot of 15 hour shifts on eve tho. cant be bothered with it anymore , to much politics to be able to enjoy the game anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

CS:S - 20 hours straight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Lived at home until recently so I never really got away with doing that. Probably Total Annihilation for 12 hours some day when my parents were out. Never get tired of that game in multiplayer. The balance is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I remember when I was in college we rented a PS2 and Gran turismo 3 (I think). But we had no memory card, and didn't really think about it until about 7 hours into playing it. In the end, 3 of us played it for 3 days so that we could get all the licenses before we turned it off.

But this only really half counts because we did allow each other shifts to sleep a little. Still, one of my fonder memories of college (the rest I can't remember at all).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I used to think nothing of 16-20 hour Morrowind benders during its heyday. And then straight into a 12 hour shift. I'm amazed I'm still alive, really...

Sarky wrote: »
    I used to think nothing of 16-20 hour Morrowind benders during its heyday. And then straight into a 12 hour shift. I'm amazed I'm still alive, really...

haha , its crazy when your life is more gaming than LIFE itself. I remember saying to my gf that I just had to go to the bank machine to check my isk before we went the movies .

(isk=eve online money)

for about a year myself and my bro could also speak the language from ff10 , cant remember the name of it now, or a word of it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Like the OP it was FF for me aswell.

Think I done close to 24 hours in FF8 taking turns with my best mate.

Could have done even more on FM or BF1942

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Fifteen hours straight on GTA: SA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ridge Racer on the PS1 for 19 and a half hours. Wanted to beat that black car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Kharn wrote: »
    Done loads of 8-10 hour sessions including only breaks for bathroom and maybe a bit of food, but the longest stint ever I'd say was 14 hours on GTA Vice City when it'd just come out. Went to bed still seeing the city streets whizzing past my eyes - weird night that one! :)

Think it was about the same for me. Was living at home with my parents at the time, so managed to sneak onto the computer in the evening, then got shooed off it by my dad the following morning.
    I vaguely remember a comment along the lines of "if only he'd put that much effort into finding a job!":p

Strangely enough, I haven't come close to that amount of time since then... had a few all day sessions of WoW, but always managed to break it up with doing other stuff in between

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Lived at home until recently so I never really got away with doing that. Probably Total Annihilation for 12 hours some day when my parents were out. Never get tired of that game in multiplayer. The balance is amazing.

Pretty sure I played against you at some point, or at least saw you on Zone or GBL! Those were the days indeed... What an unbelievably good game! (I was ID_Ganondorf or GiB_Ganondorf at the time btw..)

My longest stint was probably Phantasy Star Online on the Gamecube... me and a friend played it for practically 2 or 3 days solid.. I had the most f'ed up hallucinations after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Championship Manager for probably close to 20 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

one of the longest i remember is going back to the ps1 days when me and i guy i used to hang around with would sit there all day playing c & c retaliation with 2 consoles linked to gether ah the good old days. cant even remember how long i would even be on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

lafortezza wrote: »
    Championship Manager for probably close to 20 hours.

+1 Just one more match/season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i completed FFVII in one shift once. took about 37 hours. i did it at a mates free gaff cos another mate said i couldnt do it. he also gave me cans as a reward :p

i did a run of Secret of Mana on the snes once in 19 hours (same free gaff, hence the dare/bet for FFVII) and i did crono trigger in one sitting as well... that took about 28 hours or so

Jazzy wrote: »
    i completed FFVII in one shift once. took about 37 hours. i did it at a mates free gaff cos another mate said i couldnt do it. he also gave me cans as a reward :p

i did a run of Secret of Mana on the snes once in 19 hours (same free gaff, hence the dare/bet for FFVII) and i did crono trigger in one sitting as well... that took about 28 hours or so

good man!:pac::pac::pac:
    recieve 3 internets for your reward.

I've played eve online for a week straight. ( but slept about 1 hour each morning at downtime, maybe two even) so I cant properly count it!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You people are insane :p
    Don't think I've ever had longer than a four or five hour straight session - and that would have been a particularly ambitious social event. Normally when I hit the 2.5-3 hour mark I think its enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

Probably 12-14 hrs for Super Mario 3 on the Nes.

I'd imagine though all records will be broken come April 29th (well technically 30th so as to rack up the hrs) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I went 12 hours on Christmas morning playing Ocarina of time. I got up at 2am I was so excited :D

Oblivion as well, played that until the sun came up many times.

Also remember me and two of my mates playin premier manager 98 on the ps1 from about 7 in the evening until morning time.

I dont really have patience with games any more. I just get bored with them too quickly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Sid Meier's Civilization came out in 1991. I installed it, loaded it up, and started playing...

I'll let you know when I've finished ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Balfa wrote: »
    Sid Meier's Civilization came out in 1991. I installed it, loaded it up, and started playing...

I'll let you know when I've finished ;)

I'm still playing Civ II. I think I was playing DoD or CS for the entire duration of my Leaving Cert. Once me and a friend played Resident Evil 1,2 and 3 all weekend with the aid of various illegal substances. In the end I had to brought home because I was quite literally chewing up the furniture.

You people are insane :p
    Normally when I hit the 2.5-3 hour mark I think its enough.

thats the part where you get it wrong , keep playing! dont listen to that voice in ur head called the missus! on the other hand , what game are you playing for 2.5-3hours ? maybe you just havent found "your game" yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Probably 12-14 hrs for Super Mario 3 on the Nes.

I'd imagine though all records will be broken come April 29th (well technically 30th so as to rack up the hrs) :D

Ha!

I can finish that game in less than an hour :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Most recently, I spent eight hours playing Oblivion. Stayed up till four am and kept seeing swords and fireballs in my sleep.

Although, I'd say the winner of this thread will be a WOW player. That games sucks the hours out from under you. When I was playing it, I regularly used to clock in four and five hour sessions.

I remember reading about some Asian guy who actually died at his keyboard, because he had been playing for three days straight! He forgot to eat, drink and sleep, apparently.

Computer games are the devil's work.

I still stay up all night on the computer, just not on the game anymore. I havent slept so far since I got up yesterday morning, Ive been on 9 different websites on the forums , and when things got quite around 6 this morning I start watching top gear on the computer after just downloading it . until the forums started off again at around 9 .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

armour87 wrote: »
    Ha!

I can finish that game in less than an hour :p

Ah yeah, but thats with the flutes and what not.

It was me and my mate, both 10 at time, and playing co-op, through every level of every world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

daauneal wrote: »
    I still stay up all night on the computer, just not on the game anymore. I havent slept so far since I got up yesterday morning, Ive been on 9 different websites on the forums , and when things got quite around 6 this morning I start watching top gear on the computer after just downloading it . until the forums started off again at around 9 .

You sound like an insomniac! What forums are you on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Ah yeah, but thats with the flutes and what not.

It was me and my mate, both 10 at time, and playing co-op, through every level of every world.

With the whistles it can be done in under 12 minutes. Can't remember the all-clear record but it was more like two hours.

Advertisement