Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best buy

Options
  • 21-04-2008 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

What's been your best buy or best bargain in the football manager games. Mine was when i managed Liverpool and i managed to sign Henry on a free! He went on to score 26 goals in his first season, and 18 in his second! I won the Premiership twice in a row, mainly thanks to him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

A toss up between Aarialto, Banega or Stancu

Took my Derby Co. team to the CL/PL Double in 2010 :D

Other noticable mentions would be:

Suchy
    Dzsudiak
    Briand
    Ashley Young (for 3.7m after Villa got relegated)

Also Giles Barnes already at Derby, really is the business playing as a AMC behind the strikers, a bloody goal and assist machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Aaritalo
    Piatti
    Torje

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 westhamtilidie

ignacio robles

1.9mil from osasuna

mc

he has alot of 18,17 and 15 stats and hes wanted by real madrid

hes 18

sorry i cant show picture enjoy :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

It's hard to get these wonderkids to come to League One when your -15 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Banega and Saviet performed wonders for my Sunderland and pushed me into a UEFA cup place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Karl Bermingham or Juan Manuel Lucero for lower league teams.

Ryan Babel for a big club legend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Even though he cost 14.5m, Berbatov for my United team has been sensational. Scored 57 in all comps last season!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Georghi Kinkladze for MK Dons :D

His aproval rating was thru the roof with the fans.. saying he was an inspired transfer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

Bojan and Guiseppe Rossi both to Real Madrid, both on frees. Scored over 100 goals between them in 3 seasons, Rossi won European player of the year, Bojan became a full Spanish international. As soon as I left they were dropped though which pissed me right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

It's hard to get these wonderkids to come to League One when your -15 :(

I normally sign sturridge & ched evan from man city on loan & rhys murphy on loan from arsenal & they're good for a load of goals, although sturridge is out for 6 mths with the patch update.
    When you pick leeds you normally can only get good youngsters on loan, v hard ot buy unless you try brazilian clubs or romania u21 team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ha'way the Lads

Merida and Scott Sinclair became two of the top 5 players in the world. My best discoveries though were San Roman Agouda Doudin and Bozaglo

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

German regen called Steffen Franck in a really old version of CM, possibly 95/96. Picked him up for peanuts, played him as a sweeper in a 5-3-2 and his average rating varied between 9.3 and 9.7 for four seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 irishsaint

Markvtos wrote: »
    What's been your best buy or best bargain in the football manager games. Mine was when i managed Liverpool and i managed to sign Henry on a free! He went on to score 26 goals in his first season, and 18 in his second! I won the Premiership twice in a row, mainly thanks to him.

I was Southampton, got promoted in my first season via playoffs and then purchased Toto Tamuz (Israeli) whom scored 36 goals in my first season in the premier league!! I got him for 4.7 m

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Charles André Doudin from Neuchatel Xamax on FM07. He's usually available for free or maybe 200k. Very good striker and he develops very quickly into a top striker.

Hamdi Salihi from KF Tirana (iirc) on FM07. About 1m but bangs the goals in, whatever league you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Got Ignacio Piatti (other Piatti chose Fiorentia for some reason) for Leeds and he helped get automatic promotion. Bought for peanuts and worth 3.8m by season 2. Having half the Romainan team also helped ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Signed Nicklas Bendtner for free for MVV when his Arsenal contract ran out. In his first season (nearly half way there) he has a goal per game ratio in all competitions including the UEFA Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Giggidy

This is a great question and a hard one:

My game with newcastle I bought Matias Fernandez for 10mil was outstanding also in that team I had Bale. I was forced to sell Jose Enrique for 11 using that to buy Bale for 8

I went to Barca and got Van Der Vaart for free. He was key to me winning the League and Champions League. Whenever I needed something to happen he was there!

I signed many young players with both clubs but never exactly got the full effect of them because I moved on. I was at Newcastle and left for Barca, understandable. Then after 2 1/2 years there and winning 2 leagues and a champions league they wouldnt give me a new contract! But There were players that stood out after, all 3 regen. Degano who via Blackburn went to Juventus, Juan Pablo Funes who also went Juventus and Gary Johnson who I bought for 500,000 went to Arsenal to for 13mil after 1 season. Then I had the usual Torje, Breno etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

I think mine would be Bojan in FM 07. Great signing he's been banging in the goals for my Juve team for years now and he's still only about 26.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Christopher Samba for Barca. an emergency buy when Milito? broke his leg, and i hadn't the budget to get a big name replacement. £2 million for an absolute rock in defence and scores over 10 goals a season from set pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Would have to be Torje for me, 17 year old Romanian, class player and only cost 375k :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Marlon Harewood for two million in my first season with Derby, scored 22 goals and single handedly got me into mid table and won me the League Cup with a brace in the final.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

For Bohs, i got Simon Lynch off Gretna for 60k, and he bangs them in for fun. Erik Grendel from dubnica i think for 40k was a bargain. a romanian lad pleinceanu was free and is a great central mid, and anthony wordworth from some english team is doing the biz as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

thiago ribeiro....

plays in brazillian league.... he bangs them in from anywhere....

bought him with utd.. took me to champions league final (lost) and three premierships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Not sure if he was mentioned already but Rodrigo Palicio is something of a legend in FM2008

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Bogdan Stancu, a Romanian. Cost me 400k to my Crystal Palace, 27 goals in first season, 41 next season and single handedly won promotion into Premiership and then gets 31 in Premiership alone. Hero !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Best lad to buy at the start is Henri Saivet. He is immense! I'm starting him for Schalke and he's only 17! Wonderkid!

You can get him free from Bordeaux at the start of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Trying signing Saivet for Portsmouth but couldn't get him for some reason :o
    Stancu was signed for 400k and did decent enough for me in first season but wanted to leave once Liverpool declared interest but he signed for the newly promoted West Brom for £6m. Not a bad profit tbh

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I buy Saivet every game I play but he is never anywhere near ready until he's about 19 or 20. His stats are cack to be honest, and he needs a good few seasons before he gets up to PL level. IIRC he starts at about 90 ability, which is sweet **** all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

IIRC he starts at about 90 ability, which is sweet **** all tbh.

Ive seen a few posters mention ability in number form, my set up is gold stars, is the numbers a differant setting that replaces the stars??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

ive had some great signing through the years for many many different clubs and leagues, but the one that stands out right now (probably cause its very recent) is Carlton Cole for Waterford United, he signed half way through the second season for me, and scored 24 goals in the second half of that season, he then went on to belt in anything between 47 and 54 goals a season for 5 years

got me to the semi final of the UEFA cup and was a catalyst for some other good players joining.

Other big ones that stick out are Modric,Vela,Aguero,Kompany and Denilson in FM07

Goalie called Stekelenburg in an older version,think it was CM4, great keeper

and i think in CM3 or maybe even 2, Vicenzo Montella, in the twilight of his career got me promoted to the Prem almost single handedly

Advertisement