Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running .bat file without using DOS.

Options
  • 21-04-2008 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if posting this to the correct forum - probably not but will give it a shot anyhow :-)

Is there any windows based utility that will run a .bat file without using DOS?

I'm running a batch file on a machine with a dual core processor and have been told that DOS does not take advantage of the processing capability of dual core processors - Is this true?

Anyhow if there was some program that allowed me to run my batch files to take advantage of the dual core processor that would be great.

Any help would be much appreciated.

EireEV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

DOS is over twenty years old, they couldn't of forseen multi-core processors back then.

is the batch file that big that it would benefit from having two processors working on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The benefit could be the additional CPU power to run other apps.

E.g I have a batch file which backups a MySQL DB, the additional CPU helps with Disk I/O, Memory Management etc.

It's not a deal breaker or a huge performance boost.

It's unlikely that you're using the BAT file to run any true DOS commands (COPY, FIND, MOVE etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Windows 98 was the last OS to have DOS so I dont think you need to worry.
    Newer OS's have a Command Line Interface, while it may look similar to MS-DOS (/Prompt?), it is not the same.
    Your .bat file will run with cmd.exe (the CLI), therefore you are running a .bat file without DOS.

Edit:
    Some OS's after 98 have NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine), but this is irrevelant to the question here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Anyhow if there was some program that allowed me to run my batch files to take advantage of the dual core processor that would be great.

what commands/programs does the batch file execute?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

DOS doesn't exist since Windows 95 (IIRC). It is Command Prompt.

.bat files are legacy format batch files. You can use .cmd instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The problem won't ultimately be anything strictly to do with DOS or .bat files. It will come down to what tasks you are running, whether they are able to run concurrently or not and whether or not you set the commands up in such a way as to allow them to run parrallel.

For e.g. the way most batch/cmd files are written they run one command, wait for it to finish, then run the next. In this case only one core will be used, unless the program you run happens to have been written to take advantage of more than one, but most have not. To get multiple commands running concurrently, you will need to use the 'start' command to allow the next command to start before the previous one finishes, with multiple process running, windows will automatically move them onto seperate cores as needed, whether they are launched through DOS (which is really only fake DOS anyway) or not. This is assuming your commands are launching applications, not just carrying out simple native dos commands like copy/delete etc

You also need to decide if your tasks can be run side by side, or if they need to be run one after the other, if the next task depends on the result of the first task, then it inherently has to wait fro the first task to finish.

What is your batch file, what is it doing and why do you want it to run on more than one core ?

Advertisement