Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol Lawnmower

• 21-04-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I'm looking for a petrol lawnmower for a reasonable price. I guess anywhere from 100-250.

Obviously the best value for money is important.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭positron

I am looking for one myself, Homebase has a basic Sovereign (any good?) brand mower with Briggs and Stratton motor, but I think its pressed steel, which might be worse than plastic body - Its < 150 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

with a B&S engine, you cant go wrong.
    In relation to the deck, regardless of the material it made of, its the maintenance you give it - a good wash or power hosing after each use is good, and a good coating of WD40 prior to storage in the winter is good to to prevent corrosion - these are the small things most people cound be arsed doing and then in the spring they wonder why their mower is rusted or faulty!
    Also, emptying it of petrol prior to storage and replenishing in the spring with fresh fuel will help keep any mower in good nick.
    just my thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Woodies have a couple of petrol mowers around the €150 mark.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/shopping.aspx?loc=C&catid=102.10.1

You'll probably need to buy a petrol can and some 4 stroke lawnmower oil too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

fugee wrote: »
    I'm looking for a petrol lawnmower for a reasonable price. I guess anywhere from 100-250.

Obviously the best value for money is important.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Hi Fugee,

I was in the market for a new mower two years ago and I the one bit of advice I would give you is do NOT use the price as the main determining factor.

The way I see it is you will always have a lawn so whatever you buy should be expected to last 10 - 15 years or longer. Spend a little bit extra and take care of it. Go to a proper lawnmower dealer and get a decent one something like a Honda or a Harry. I spent 400 on a Harry lawnmower with a B&S engine and it works great and have had no problems so far. There are not too many decent mowers for <250

If you get one on the cheap I can guarantee you that:

The starting cable will break
    The grass collection box will break/Tear
    The body will rust as the paint will flake
    The motor will not be powerful enough for those times the grass is long.

This will drive you up the wall and eventually you will just go out and buy another.

So spend a small bit extra and have a mower for life

muletide wrote: »
    So spend a small bit extra and have a mower for life

True, I have two flymo electric hover compact movers (one for the house and the other for the rented house) and they were doing a decent job for last two years, but the first one's handle broke last week and the second one went up in a cloud of smoke yesterday...! :o

• Advertisement

Quick update - I bought the Sovereign lawn mower from Homebase - with 3.5hp Briggs & Stratton motor for €147 and had a go with it today - works very well. Its a push model, but was surprised to know that it has only one engine speed setting. Works well though - touch wood.

Advertisement