Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removal of Spray Paint off Car

Options
  • 21-04-2008 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi

At the weekend my car got a nice spray of spray paint from some (I assume) scumbags who were decorating nearby walls with their initials. Unfortunately it spans the back door as far as the boot via the back light so I imagine to get a professional paint job would be a costly affair. My car is a 98 and in ok condition but doesnt warrant expensive work.

So does anyone know if I can remove it myself with anything? I heard that a little bit of petrol on a rag might do it but too much petrol would take the body paint off it.

Any suggestions? I actually wouldnt mind too much if the body paint got faded once I could get the spray paint itself off because people are staring!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I'd try a bit of tar remover or compound maybe.

Start with the least damaging thing and work up until you find something that will eventually get it off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Try a bit of t cut or compound, should remove the knackers paint off the surface for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Same thing happened my wifes 02 Passat 2 years ago. I showed it to a body shop. The chap got a few torn up cotton sheets and some paint thinners and it was off in 5 minutes. No charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

yes use petrol, be gentle, don't dog it.... it should come off for you easily enough.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Dermo123 wrote: »
    Same thing happened my wifes 02 Passat 2 years ago. I showed it to a body shop. The chap got a few torn up cotton sheets and some paint thinners and it was off in 5 minutes. No charge.

He used panel pre-clean, not thinners. If he used thinners it would take of the laquer.

Go with petrol, back in the day they used petrol as panel clean before spray painting.

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

WD40 will do the job but be gentle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,097 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

clay bar be any use here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

If the car has metallic paint therefore laquered, try some cellulose/gunwash thinners, check first under door to make sure it doesnt affect the laquer, it will definitely remove aerosol spray without difficulty but dont get it on plastics ie:trim, rear lamp. T-cut will remove it off rear lamp. have used thinners lots of times to remove sign glues etc. with no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Definitely use a Clar Bar here.

Its the only thing that will absolutely not cause further damage. obviously the Pro's know what they are doing in relation to chemicals but you dont know as a fact if that area was painted before and how it could react.

This happened to me last year with my CLK and I had a Clar Bar on hand and decided to try it. It took the overspray off immediately from the body, plastic, glass and rubber trim, no problem and with little effort.

Read the instructions and mould/reshape the bar regularly, ohh and ensure you wash the car first to ensure you dont cause scratches by rubbing the dirt into the paint. You can leave it wet whilst you use the bar.

Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I assume you mean clay bar? :)

• Advertisement

I assume you mean clay bar? :)

Yep ! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Petrol will work, but you would want to go easy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kidshamrock

Thanks for the responses everyone, it all helped.

I used cellulose thinner from Halfords and it worked like a charm. It didnt damage or dull the body colour at all and I know it says dont use on plastics but i said 'fek it' and it got it off the light, bumper and door handle.

So I can now drive my auto and be confident that when people are laughing as I drive past its definitely not because of the blue stripe!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

MercMad wrote: »
    Definitely use a Clar Bar here.

Its the only thing that will absolutely not cause further damage. obviously the Pro's know what they are doing in relation to chemicals but you dont know as a fact if that area was painted before and how it could react.

This happened to me last year with my CLK and I had a Clar Bar on hand and decided to try it. It took the overspray off immediately from the body, plastic, glass and rubber trim, no problem and with little effort.

Read the instructions and mould/reshape the bar regularly, ohh and ensure you wash the car first to ensure you dont cause scratches by rubbing the dirt into the paint. You can leave it wet whilst you use the bar.

Good luck !

Where can you get clay bars in Ireland? I tried Halfords before and they never heard of it....and tried lots of other auto factors. I know it's on the web/ebay, but somewhere nearby (Dublin) would be nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Halfords sell Meguiars clay bar kits - it should be with all the other Meguiars stuff. I think it's about €35-40, but comes with a decent cloth and wax and is worth it.

Not surprising they don't even know what they're selling :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Halfords sell Meguiars clay bar kits - it should be with all the other Meguiars stuff. I think it's about €35-40, but comes with a decent cloth and wax and is worth it.

Not surprising they don't even know what they're selling :rolleyes:

They do have some muppets working there, in particular in Liffey Valley...

Yeah I've seen it in Halfords but I bought mine from a stand at a Classic Show !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Yep the staff in Liffey Valley are extremely.....challenged, to put it nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Advertisement