Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ingredient would you ban from Restaurants??

• 21-04-2008 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭

for me :
    Parma Ham
    Lentils

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Salt,

Surely they can find something else to flavour the blander dishes..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Fruit Coulis is the first thing that comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

MSG, salad cream, there's probably more

Whats wrong with Parma Ham, Lentils and salt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Nothing I can think of, although if I had a restaurant I'd ban picky eaters .. if you don't like an ingredient, just don't order the dish .. easy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Alun wrote: »
    Nothing I can think of, although if I had a restaurant I'd ban picky eaters .. if you don't like an ingredient, just don't order the dish .. easy :)

Yeah but salt is added to most dishes...

• Advertisement

Quality wrote: »
    Yeah but salt is added to most dishes...
    Good! I wouldn't eat there if it wasn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

meeeeooowwww

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Putting whole peppercorns all over your food for "decoration".

Thats all very well if we are talking about Meat and veg... However a lot of restaurants people go to might be ethnic or other foreign food. How many people know the ingredients? They vary from place to place.
    I detest celery.. its devil food... makes me want to throw up when i eat it. Some places might put it in any random dish, how would i know? Its not like the ingredients are printed on the menu...
    So do not be so silly Alun...

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

those tiny orange yokes they put on desert plates, they are tasteless

on second thoughts, id ban bills, just think of how much nicer your food would tastle if you didnt have to pay for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

the gallons of oil that fill the deep fat fryers that seem to dominate every restaurant kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Pasta - might make the veggie options more interesting.

Saruman wrote: »
    I detest celery.. its devil food... makes me want to throw up when i eat it. Some places might put it in any random dish, how would i know? Its not like the ingredients are printed on the menu...
    So do not be so silly Alun...
    I was being a bit tongue in cheek actually :)

Although being absolutely 100% omnivorous myself, there's literally nothing I don't / won't / can't eat, so don't really understand this hatred some people seem to have for something as innocuous as celery to be honest. There's ingredients I don't like as much as others, but nothing I detest that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

pretension

Enright wrote: »
    those tiny orange yokes they put on desert plates, they are tasteless
    Cape gooseberries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uchuva

They're harmless, and look quite pretty though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

For me it would be salt and MSG.

A little more imagination is needed. It's too simple to add salt to "bring out the flavour" and in most cases, chefs seem to think that more = better. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Cape gooseberries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uchuva

They're harmless, and look quite pretty though :)

They are yum!! the fruit is anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

No ingredients. They're all good if fresh and used sensibly! Additives, preservatives and crap like that should be banned but... they're not really ingredients I don't think :confused:

Salt, garlic and oil gets overused sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Frisee lettuce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

r3nu4l wrote: »
    For me it would be salt and MSG.
    Fair enough nobody wants to eat some gloopy cr@p but MSG gets a lot of bad press and not all of it is fully warranted. Heston Blumenthal experiments with adding laboratory grade chemicals to some of his dishes and has a couple of Michelin stars, chinese restaurants add MSG....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Actually, could we ban the practise of saving money by getting an espresso machine and serving an americano as an ordinary coffee? Filter coffee tastes completely different. Americanos are much more bitter. Not to mention, the filter coffee has more caffine in it than an americano.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Pasta - might make the veggie options more interesting.

Yeah! And also the "vegetarian cajun stirfry" It's always an abomination!

And dried herbs should definately be banned. Especially in places where they put them in the salad dressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Sparks wrote: »
    Actually, could we ban the practise of saving money by getting an espresso machine and serving an americano as an ordinary coffee? Filter coffee tastes completely different. Americanos are much more bitter. Not to mention, the filter coffee has more caffine in it than an americano.

Couldn't agree less. All forms of coffee other than espresso should be banned as pale imitations of the real thing. Especially instant, which thankfully is disappearing by itself without the need for legislation.

Also I would ban disgusting, foul, slimy okra, and turnips - fit only for cattle. And any savoury dish with fruit in - pineapple on pizza? Banned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I second fruit coulis.

If I order a chocolate dessert, I don't want you ruining it by covering it in fruit! Or covering the plate in fruit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Fair enough nobody wants to eat some gloopy cr@p but MSG gets a lot of bad press and not all of it is fully warranted. Heston Blumenthal experiments with adding laboratory grade chemicals to some of his dishes and has a couple of Michelin stars, chinese restaurants add MSG....:rolleyes:
    People tend to forget that MSG is a naturally occurring substance, Quorn was invented in a laboratory and the original Aardman Creature Comforts ads were for Electricity, not gas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Anything made from foam. I bloody HATE it!

Parsley/paprika sprinkled around the edge of a plate. I'll walk out if I see dishes arriving from the kitchen like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Mint leaves on desserts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sparks wrote: »
    Frisee lettuce

Plus one bloody million.

I utterly despise the undressed 'garnish' salad that appears to be ubiquitous on restaurant plates. A couple of pieces of tasteless but colourful lettuce, a quartered tomato, two or three rings of onion, a slantedly-cut slice of unpeeled cucumber, a couple of sad gratings of carrot.

Can you scrape that right into a bag for my chickens please, and I'll just have the rest of the food on the plate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Mint leaves on desserts.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rockbeer wrote: »
    Couldn't agree less. All forms of coffee other than espresso should be banned as pale imitations of the real thing.
    Americano is watered down espresso, the name came from american soldiers in italy thinking they were being ripped off with small portions.

Most coffee experts and baristas would agree with the previous poster, and would strongly favour filter coffee, are you really calling americano "the real thing" compared to filter coffee?. Espresso and espresso based milk drinks are completely different. I have met several baristas who would say espresso based drinks have no place in a restaurant, since most take far too long to get from the barista (if they have one) to the customer. Most baristas are driven mad here by people demanding steaming hot milk based espresso drinks, the milk is best heated to a lower temp than most do, and it should be drank immediately. Go to Italy and you will see them horsing down coffee the moment it is served. Over here in most places you would get 2nd degree burns doing that!

Most screw up filter coffee too by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

janeybabe wrote: »
    If I order a chocolate dessert, I don't want you ruining it by covering it in fruit! Or covering the plate in fruit!
    Same goes for fruit in drinks. If you stick a lemon in a vodka without asking why not lash a kiwi slice in a guinness.

Advertisement