Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ingredient would you ban from Restaurants??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

rubadub wrote: »
    Same goes for fruit in drinks. If you stick a lemon in a vodka without asking why not lash a kiwi slice in a guinness.

Exactly. Luckily I have a friend who enjoys the taste of lemon so I just give her my useless wedge of lemon before it ruins my drink.

Also, lemon in a jug of water. Why ruin the water? And when I ask for water with no lemon I get funny looks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

janeybabe wrote: »
    lemon in a jug of water. Why ruin the water?

this is a pet peeve of mine, as if it makes the water somehow better. water is natures most perfect delicious drink, and if i wanted something lemon flavoured i would ask for it.

most annoying part is either getting dirty looks trying to fish it out (i know its rude, but i feel a bit fussy asking for another jug without lemon) and losing seeds when you do. i HATE swallowing the seeds accidently :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Confit of duck - most restaurants just don't know how to prepare this (and it must be the easiest, most profitable thing to put on a menu). The skin is supposed to be CRISP - what do they do, microwave them? Yuk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Americano is watered down espresso, the name came from american soldiers in italy thinking they were being ripped off with small portions.

I know what an Americano is, and in my opinion it's a far superior drink to filter coffee.
    Most coffee experts and baristas would agree with the previous poster, and would strongly favour filter coffee, are you really calling americano "the real thing" compared to filter coffee?. Espresso and espresso based milk drinks are completely different.

Speaking as a 'coffee expert' and barista with several years professional experience and a loyal customer base - including many Europeans - who believe my coffee to be amongst the best they've tasted, I totally disagree with most of your deeply patronizing post. The act of watering down espresso obviously dilutes the strength but much of the character is retained: character that will never be present in filter coffee for many reasons which I can go into if you like. Although it might be best followed up here
    I have met several baristas who would say espresso based drinks have no place in a restaurant, since most take far too long to get from the barista (if they have one) to the customer.

How long the coffee takes to get from the machine to the customer depends on the efficiency of the staff. If this is a problem, the solution isn't to serve up an inferior product instead but to improve efficiency and get the drinks delivered quicker. I don't know what kind of halfwitted baristas you've been talking to, but to say that espresso-based drinks have no place in restaurants is self-evidently ridiculous: go to Italy and you'll see an espresso machine in every restaurant. France too. You won't often see a filter machine alongside. They obviously don't consider it a problem in the home of espresso, so why should it be one here?
    Most baristas are driven mad here by people demanding steaming hot milk based espresso drinks, the milk is best heated to a lower temp than most do, and it should be drank immediately. Go to Italy and you will see them horsing down coffee the moment it is served. Over here in most places you would get 2nd degree burns doing that!

Most screw up filter coffee too by the way.

This is about the only thing you say that I do agree with. Coffee and steamed milk are usually overheated destroying the character of the drinks. Besides which, overheating the milk will destroy the delicate foam needed for a good cappucino or latte. It should be heated only until the outside of the metal jug is just too hot to touch. On top of all that, poor quality stale ingredients are often used, grounds sit in dispensers oxidising for who knows how long, machines aren't cleaned anywhere near often enough, and 'baristas' often lack even the most basic knowledge of what's involved in making a good cup of coffee, espresso or otherwise. But however good you make filter coffee, it won't taste good once it's been sitting on the hotplate for more than about ten minutes.

By the way, I think this thread was only meant as a bit of fun: you might be taking it a little too seriously ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Desserts dusted with icing sugar. What a way to ruin good food, both by taste & by sight.

Sprigs of anything (parsley, coriander, mint, rosemary, etc.) as a garnish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I also hate when you get a salad on your plate dripping with dressing and the dressing goes all over everything else.

I don't eat salad but if I get one unexpectedly (if it's listed as coming with the dish on the menu I'll just say I don't want it, but sometimes it's not on the menu) I just leave it. I can't ignore the dressing all over everything else though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Cod.
    Non-seasonal produce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

aromat - much more dangerous than salt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

aromat?? never even heard of it til now.

my mate google says its made of: salt, flavour enhancer, monosodium glutamate, lactose, wheat starch, yeast extract, hydrogenated veg oil, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, spices.

doesn;t exactly sound more dangerous than salt (provided you're not alergic to msg).

I want to try some!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

aromat?? never even heard of it til now.

my mate google says its made of: salt, flavour enhancer, monosodium glutamate, lactose, wheat starch, yeast extract, hydrogenated veg oil, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, spices.

doesn;t exactly sound more dangerous than salt (provided you're not alergic to msg).

I want to try some!

Its is if your lactose intolerant:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

bonkey wrote: »
    Cod.

Why Cod specifically?

janeybabe wrote: »
    Exactly. Luckily I have a friend who enjoys the taste of lemon so I just give her my useless wedge of lemon before it ruins my drink.

Also, lemon in a jug of water. Why ruin the water? And when I ask for water with no lemon I get funny looks!

The point is to take the chlorine taste off the tap water. Weirdo fruit haters.

Iceing sugar and pasta are my pet peeves.
    I didn't realise they added aromat to restaurant quality food.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Its not an ingredient, but I deplore bad waitressing staff, tomatoes and peas..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

...bad waitressing staff...

Are bad waiters okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Why Cod specifically?

I'm guessing endangered species - same reason that panda burgers are hard to find:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Desserts dusted with icing sugar. What a way to ruin good food, both by taste & by sight.

Hey, I kinda like that look!! ...am I stuck in the seventies?

Does prawn cocktail and blue nun do it for you?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

oblivious wrote: »
    Does prawn cocktail and blue nun do it for you?;)
    [offtopic]
    Reminds me of being on hols in Achill with my folks back in the mid-seventies. The waiter in the hotel restaurant asked my Dad if he wanted wine with the meal.
    Grandpa Billy replied, "Do you have any Black Tower or Blue Nun?"
    The waiter apologied, "Sorry Sir, we only have red or white."
    [/offtopic]

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

celery, it makes no sense. if you were to pick out any plant out your back garden it would taste the exact same. hate the stuff.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    [offtopic]
    Reminds me of being on hols in Achill with my folks back in the mid-seventies. The waiter in the hotel restaurant asked my Dad if he wanted wine with the meal.
    Grandpa Billy replied, "Do you have any Black Tower or Blue Nun?"
    The waiter apologied, "Sorry Sir, we only have red or white."
    [/offtopic]

Something like that happen to a friend of mine in a small town in Galway around seven years ago;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Pesto.

Not that I hate pesto specifically - but don't slather a ring of pesto round my plate as a garnish if I've ordered a burger or some brie! Yuck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm with the general nature of neuro-praxis's point. I have all those things that chefs do to dress up the plate where the dressing does nothing for the food.

It is possible to make crap food look good with presentation tricks, but when you start eating it, you quickly learn that it is crap.

I'm with the general nature of neuro-praxis's point. I have all those things that chefs do to dress up the plate where the dressing does nothing for the food.

It is possible to make crap food look good with presentation tricks, but when you start eating it, you quickly learn that it is crap.

...and there is no need for it. I was lucky enough to eat in Pied a Terre in London's Charlotte Street some years ago. The food was excellent and didn't need to be deconstructed before eating. Beautiful presentation and everything on the plate was to be eaten - not sent back to the kitchen.:confused:

only if a large part of the following feature in your repetoire.....

Crepe suzette
    Brown windsor soup
    Coquilles St-Jacques
    Sole Veronique
    Mixed Grill
    Swedish Meatballs
    Wiener Schnitzel
    Chicken Maryland
    Peach Melba
    Profiteroles
    Duck a l'Orange
    Moussaka
    Garlic Mushrooms
    Scampi with Tartare Sauce
    Tournedos Rossini
    Toad-in-the-hole
    Spotted Dick and Custard
    Jam Roly-Poly
    Chicken Kiev
    Rhum Baba
    Treacle Tart
    Lobster Bisque
    Quiche Lorraine
    Syllabub

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Chilli con Carne and beef strognoff should be on the list but have made a come back (never gone away?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

God I'm starving now. This forum always does that to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Thanks Minder, Jam roly-poly, I am sooo making that in the next few days.
    I'd forgotten how yummy it is!
    Thanks for reminding me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Crepe suzettes FOR THE WIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Minder wrote: »
    I'm guessing endangered species - same reason that panda burgers are hard to find:D
    Yup sure do miss those panda burgers :)
    Seriously, I am not going to derail this thread but Cod in our waters are no way no how near extinction.
    Unfortunately due to poor stock assessment methods used our Cod quota (already small) has been further diminished, the reality is that there is so much cod that fishermen are being forced to dump perfectly good fish in order to remain legal.
    It is a very sad state of affairs.
    :(

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Yup sure do miss those panda burgers :)
    Seriously, I am not going to derail this thread but Cod in our waters are no way no how near extinction.
    Unfortunately due to poor stock assessment methods used our Cod quota (already small) has been further diminished, the reality is that there is so much cod that fishermen are being forced to dump perfectly good fish in order to remain legal.
    It is a very sad state of affairs.
    :(

True that better quota management would avoid dumping catches at sea, but that isn't the only problem. Mesh sizes and closed nets ensure that anything entering a trawl cannot get out. Catches are hauled onto boats for the fish to be sorted and the undersized fish are thrown back, often dead. Food for gulls. Left alone, cod can grow to 5 feet and live for 35 years. IIRC, cod reach reproductive maturity at 5 years. We are fishing for cod that haven't reached breeding maturity. That's unsustainable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Cod is most restaurants is terribly bland.

I'd ban savoy cabbage, just awful stuff.

Advertisement