Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

suspicious enquiry on Carzone

Options
  • 21-04-2008 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi,
    I got an email from someone saying that they were interested in buying my Car that I had advertised on Carzone. It looked something like this:
    <---
    This is a purchase enquiry in response to your advertised you have for
    sale. I'd like to know if there has been any changes to it's advertised
    conditions and then do let me know the following your last price
    --->

So I reply to him saying that nothing has changed since I advertised it and I gave him my bottom price. I get an email a few hours later saying :

<
    Thank for the correspondence and attention you given to me with information about the condition. i do appreciate it and the price is ok with me and my wife and she really like it.

i want to making payment immediately by bank draft to you and it will take 2 day cleared in your bank.

i want you to fill in the following information of sending you the bank draft.

NAME...........

ADDRESS.............

STATE...................

POST CODE...........

COUNTRY................

MOBLE NUMBER.................

HOME NUMBER...................

I will ensure that you recieve payment atleast in 4 working days. As regards the pick up, as soon as you confirm to me that the bank draft is cleared in your account, i will inform my shiper agent to come for the pick up immediatelty.

Delete the advert from where you placed it on internet cause i m ready to send the payment immediately.

I look forward to read from you soonest.

Thanks
    >

ok, his english isnt very good he basically wanted to buy the car without even seeing it!! he has obviously no intention on buying my car but why would he want those details for other purposes?

has anyone else got a similar enquiry on Carzone?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Scam. Scammy McScamington

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Run..........

If it smells a scam it is one. Ask for 5000euro more than what you've advertisied i guarantee he'll "pay" it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Its a scam. They send you a draft for an amount in excess of what you are asking and ask you to refund the difference. The draft they send you may take 2-3 weeks to show up as a dud, in which time they will have disappeared with your refund.

If you have their details, report them to the police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 MollyOY

Scam. They overpay you, look for refund and hey presto their draft/cheque is a dud.

Oops, Paid got there before me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ich_verschwinde

that is unbelievable.. and would you believe i got another one a half an hour from a different guy saying the exact same thing.! i'm glad i didnt fall for that..

and i was also targetted by "Motorfind" as alot of you probably know about.. thats another scam aswell i bet. They said that they've a few guaranteed buyers lined up to buy my car and in order to register with them i needed to pay them 120 €. they said once i've sold the car, they'll return 110€ .. but i bet there isnt any "guaranteed buyers" is there?..

i actually didnt get one legit enquiry about my car on carzone :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No, absolutely no "guaranteed" buyers. Total scam artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭MarkN

Got a similar email when I had a 206 up for sale about a month ago, I didn't reply to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Take the cheque, and give it to the Gardai fraud squad. They'll be interested in it. If the dude rings back, tell him that the police now have the cheque, give him the number for the fraud squad, and goodbye :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ich_verschwinde

hmm.. so maybe I should provide him with these details and play him along for a while! he obviously can't do much else with my address and phone number can he?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Brilliant! Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

yes, you are as safe as houses. sure what harm can it do :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

hmm.. so maybe I should provide him with these details and play him along for a while! he obviously can't do much else with my address and phone number can he?

you'll be fine just make sure your address is in springfield, cleaner close, or a garda barricks, and your phone number is the fraud squad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The fact you had to come on here and even ask is worrying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enm0aOffzfE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

S

C

A

M

Oldest one in the book, they even warn you about it on carzone. Probably a nigerian scammer sending these emails all day......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭CarList.ie

I've noticed similar enquiries being made today on [url]www.carlist.ie:[/url]
    Hello Seller, My name is Mrs sandra I Live in Aberdeen, scoltland I'm really interested in your CAR that i came across on the internet and i will like to know if you still have it for sale. 1. What is your last price for sale............ 2. What is the condition of the CAR?............. 3. Send the pictures if also available for proper viewing .............. I would be very glad if you can get it sold to me.Prefered method of payment is Cheque ? which would CLEAR in your bank account within 3 to 4 working days. Kindly email me back to ...@yahoo.com if it's still for sale. Cheers sandra NOTE' you can call my husband with this number +44.........

I'm going to add some spam protection to carlist.ie tonight which should reduce the problem a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Scoltland eh? hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Don't screw them around if they have any of your details, um like name, work e-mail and car details.

Advertisement