Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training

• 21-04-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Something I can't seem to find the information on is the type of training schedule one could expect in the PDF. How much time is given to the different aspects of training? What would a typical week be like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

as in physical training or other types???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Well, kinda the breakdown of it really. How much time would be spent in physical strength and fitness training, how much with firearms and such equipment, how much in classroom type work, all that. A rough weekly timetable would be a good approximation of what I'd be thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well, kinda the breakdown of it really. How much time would be spent in physical strength and fitness training.

A lot.

how much with firearms and such equipment .

A lot more
    how much in classroom type work.

For a recruit, not too much.

A rough weekly timetable would be a good approximation of what I'd be thinking of.

Even a rough guide would be a breech of security as all Defence forces course syllabi are classified as 'restricted'.

Thanks Mairt. Any rough figures in terms of hours per week at each then, without structure of timetable or anything, would that be okay? Also, presumably cadets would spend a lot more time in classroom type scenarios? Would this take time away from their physical training or firearms training or anything?

Thanks Mairt. Any rough figures in terms of hours per week at each then, without structure of timetable or anything, would that be okay? Also, presumably cadets would spend a lot more time in classroom type scenarios? Would this take time away from their physical training or firearms training or anything?

Well as a recruit or a cadet pretty much all your time will be taken up with training.

As a cadet you'll spend a hell of a lot more time in class than an enlisted recruit.

As for physical training, I'll bump that up for lads who've trained more recently than I.

• Advertisement

Would there be a lot of firearms training daily or how often would it be? Aside from the regular army stuff, I'd be interested in competing with the DF Shooting Team at some point as well, both in small bore, which I already do, and full bore.

Would there be a lot of firearms training daily or how often would it be? Aside from the regular army stuff, I'd be interested in competing with the DF Shooting Team at some point as well, both in small bore, which I already do, and full bore.

Well as you can imagine, the DF loves a good aim ;)

There's lots of scope for honing your skills in that department, plus the DF has both game shooting and air rifle clubs.

There's also lots of inter-unit shooting competitions and all army comps also.

Mairt wrote: »
    Well as you can imagine, the DF loves a good aim ;)

There's lots of scope for honing your skills in that department, plus the DF has both game shooting and air rifle clubs.

There's also lots of inter-unit shooting competitions and all army comps also.

Yeah, all that is very attractive alright. I suppose I'd be reasonably proficient by the time I get into it anyway, as most likely finishing college first, so would be three years down the line when I'm applying.

Never knew about the game shooting (another interest) or air rifle though, that's interesting. Shoot a little bit of air rifle, but have somewhat gravitated towards smallbore lately.

This has been interesting. Anything else I should know about, or does it break down fairly basically into physical strength and fitness training, firearms and equipment training, drill and discipline training and some classroom work? Am I missing anything important I should know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

if you got injured during training would you have to leave and do the whole process again or do you get another chance at the training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Am I missing anything important I should know?

Tactical Training.

• Advertisement

Tactical Training.

That's the sort of thing I was thinking of when I said classroom type stuff. I presume you mean field exercises though? I did neglect that alright.

c-90 wrote: »
    if you got injured during training would you have to leave and do the whole process again or do you get another chance at the training?

Hi, long time.

To try answer your question.

If your injuried its pretty rare now that you'll be pushed out the barrack gates, but it really depends on a few things.

First and foremost is how far into training you are, and the extent of your injury.

Its also largely down to yourself, ie if you really try to put the work in even though your injuried that goes heavily in your favour. If your still trying to put in some effort and you've a good relationship with your section commander you should be kept on - or at least you might be sent back to another platoon to continue your training with those lads, but you won't be out of the Defence Forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

thanks.

Advertisement