Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be careful of Perlico sales tactics/lies

Options
  • 21-04-2008 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

I rang Perlico today because the offer they have at the moment (now that there owned by Vodafone they should be a stable company) plus they were offering what seemed to be a good deal.

The area at work still hasn't got broadband and I knew this before I rang up and was enquiring about their call charges offers.

While I got through to <agent name removed> in the sales department I tell him my story about no broadband but want to enquire about the call packages. But <agent name removed> being the sales man he is told me to wait and he'll check my line and he comes back with the information that my "line is capable of broadband and my nearest exchange has just been enabled!. I ask him if he has the right number he says he has and is certain it is enabled and fine for broadband will he sign me up now.

I tell him that I need to talk to another person first so he says he ring me back later and I agreed as I've just found out I could get broadband(Yippee).

Now me being on boards a while and read many posts I was aware of these tactics by sales people just to get you to sign up so I was a bit sceptical and did my own investigation.

Firstly checked Perlico’s line check Not suitable for broadband
    Then UTV  Not suitable for broadband
    Then Eircom  Not suitable for broadband

So maybe they haven’t updated their website, I ring Eircom and talk to a guy that tells me that the exchange still hasn’t been enabled and won’t be in the next 3 months. And I ask him how come Perlico says it is, and he’s amazed as it’s a Eircom exchange.

Then I ring Perlico again and this sales gut tells me that broadband isn’t available, so at least one honest guy there!

About 5 O’ clock to day <agent name removed> rings back, And I ask him about the broadband to make sure I wasn’t hearing things and No problem he says broadband is enabled. And I ask him where he got the information? He says its because they have a direct link to Eircom’s website and I tell him I’ve done all that and even rung Eircom, then he changes his tone and switches straight to “well we do offer great call prices.” Or maybe mobile broadband(Useless I tried it)

For F.S.:mad::mad:He would of let me sign a 12 month contract knowing well that I couldn’t get broadband, and its probably in the T&C that it’s not there fault because I should of checked to see if I could get broadband before I ordered

I wondered how many others have been fooled by this.

Be very wary of what Perlico say just to get their sales maybe its not there tactics an am wondering if it just some sales people

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Sales agents are scumbags...they are only interested in the commision they get from a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

At least I have the knowledge to check if its true but if it was was my mother ringing she would of signed up straight away because she wants broadband as well and is sick of waiting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Thats the problem with people, first they prey on the uneducated and people don't get some smarts and do some reaearch on a product...agents and companies prey on the technically ignorant. (i'm not dissing your mom, but in general "technophobes")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭flaka

Good for you for checking that out.

He should have passed on you and not wasted his own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

BingoBongo, ring perlico and make an offical complaint - as soon as someone picks up ask to speak to a manager. Better yet, if you care enough write a letter and send it via registered post. Please don't mention the agents name on the forum again however, it's against the forum charter to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If you can, record sales agents (telling them you're doing so, obviously). It helps cut out all the nonsense, I find.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Regardless of the company involved, if you are sold a broadband service and your line can't take it then they can't hold you to a contract....end of :)

I'd suggest you make an official complaint regarding this if it bothers you so much as posting stuff on a message board while it provides reading material for people it doesn't help a company address training issues unless they become aware of these types of situations.

The same applys to BT, Eircom, UTV etc etc etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

Cabaal wrote: »
    Regardless of the company involved, if you are sold a broadband service and your line can't take it then they can't hold you to a contract....end of :)

Exactly what I was thinking, its not like he could just sell you broadband, enjoy his commission and leave you with a 12 month contract and no working broadband. It would have been thrown back in his face. Sounds like he just had no clue what he was doing, dont think he was intentionally scamming you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Sales agents are scumbags...they are only interested in the commision they get from a sale.

Too right... You only have to watch "The Apprentice" to hear the BS and lies that they constantly come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

X-Calibre wrote: »
    Exactly what I was thinking, its not like he could just sell you broadband, enjoy his commission and leave you with a 12 month contract and no working broadband. It would have been thrown back in his face. Sounds like he just had no clue what he was doing, dont think he was intentionally scamming you.

You would be tied into the calls part of the contract.

• Advertisement
Advertisement