Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Vista?

• 21-04-2008 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I've been putting off buying a new laptop in fear of Vista, which has gotten a lot of bad reviews from my friends.
    But of course I can only hold off so long. I heard that Microsoft were working on a new Vista, written on different code or something, from nt to c++ or something like that, im not sure, im not all that high-tech.
    Is there any truth to this, should i wait for a new Vista or just buy a new laptop and dig up xp from somewhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

When it was released last year it may well have deserved its bad press , its fine now , I wouldnt go back to XP if I was paid too.

Give it a shot , you might be surprised !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

microsoft are always working at something, and it usually ships late. Vista was supposed to ship in 2003

All big changes in windows are painful. But get accepted.

Window 2000 was a big jump from 95 & co.
    XP was a fancy front end on 2000 , in much the same way 98 /me were fancy front ends on 95

Vista is the big jump - the next version should be somewhat similar

Windows “Vienna”
    Previously codenamed “Blackcomb”, this is the new codename for the new client operating system after Vista. Expected around 2010-ish time. Likely to change.
    http://www.vistabase.co.uk/kb/windows-roadmap/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

I'm still running Windows Neptune ;):p

did a clean of Vista last weekend with SP1 integrated and yeah it fine. the main thing that drives me mad is the Windows Explorer. I use it so much, why couldn't they just leave it the way it way in XP.

the UAC, System Restore, Indexing Service and all that cr@p can be turned off and then it becomes a usable operating system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

if you dont like explorer try using windows commander ,
    http://www.ghisler.com/

i know some people who swear by it all in all the new explorer gets some getting used to but i find things can be done faster now than in xp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

papu wrote: »
    i know some people who swear by it all in all the new explorer gets some getting used to but i find things can be done faster now than in xp.

yeah i knew there were alternative Explorers, I'll give that one a try for a while.

actually you just reminded me of something there, when I got my first PC it had Windows 95 and I made the tech guy installing the PC put a shortcut to File Mananger (fileman.exe) on the desktop because I didn't like Explorer was so used to using File Mananger on Windows 3.11 in college. Just seems funny now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I remember that well , I had a shortcut to " main" on my first Win95 PC.

Advertisement