Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do on a sunny evening in Dublin

Options
  • 21-04-2008 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

...that don't involve alcohol, that is!

Anybody got any ideas on how not to waste such a beautfiful April evening in this city when it's looking its best? Something outdoorsy maybe? I really cant think of much that doesnt involve alcohol... thought someone else might know better!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Yore Ma :D (had to be said, sorry)

Failing that, go for a drink

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

An oul stroll along the canal.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

An oul stroll along the canal.;)

Yep, some great pubs along the canal ;)

Yup, The Barge is probably the best. Stay away from The Lower Deck.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Go play pitch and putt, a walk in Dun Laoghaire, Howth, Phoenix Park etc etc

• Advertisement

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Phoenix Park

Suppose if they're alone.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Walk dun laoghaire pier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Take a walk around merrion square,on to upper mount street,up the canal to lesson and around stevens green.Should pass a pleasant hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

A walk up to Three Rock. The sunset would be class. The walk is a killer if you're not used to climbing mountains (like me!) but the view at night is amazing and I'd say it'd be nice in the evenings too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Go to Collins Barracks, its on the Luas line.

Go to Howth or Bray, on the DART.

Go to Santry Park, beside Morton Stadium.

Get the bus to Wicklow for the day or night! Or train to kilkenny.

Go to a restaurant, somewhere that you can have drinks outside after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Can't beat flying a kite into a gentle breeze for an hour beside wellington's monument, listening to all a diferent nationalities doing their thing(cricket,footy,smooching). A slow walk back through the flower garden to fill the senses and then pop into Ryan's on parkgate for a bowel of chowder, mug of coffee, fresh home cooked cake and a read of the free newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tigrrrr

cheers guys some great suggestions hum especially like that last one, hope this evening's as good might give it a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Nice fresh evening at last.....was lovely today went for a class cycle along the coast.

Beautiful day. Best in months(naturally enough). I'm off to get my kite. I'm lucky enough to live right beside my recommended 'things to do in afternoon'. Haven't had kite out since september.

Guys, where's the Wellington Monument? How would you get there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

Drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

humberklog wrote: »
    a bowel of chowder,
    Heh! :D

Aspiration wrote: »
    Guys, where's the Wellington Monument? How would you get there?

It's actually the Wellington Testimonial as it was bulit when he was still alive whereas a monument is bulit for a dead person. So the technical stuff outta the way. It's in the Phoenix Park, on the right-hand side when you're coming in from the Zoo entrance about 5 minutes up the road.;)

Get the Luas to Heuston Station and then it's about a 10 minute walk from there.

Cheers Gavin. Must go have a look sometime. Pics look savage online.

It's actually the Wellington Testimonial as it was bulit when he was still alive whereas a monument is bulit for a dead person. So the technical stuff outta the way. It's in the Phoenix Park, on the right-hand side when you're coming in from the Zoo entrance about 5 minutes up the road.;)

Get the Luas to Heuston Station and then it's about a 10 minute walk from there.
    Gavin 'Sticky with the Wiki' Shels! I've come across that 'testimonial' a few times before but as it was completed when he was dead, therefore missing out on any great unveiling and adoration in recognition i say it falls into the memorial section. Started out as a proposed testimonial but through a lot of fannying about it ended up being a memorial.
    The iron relief panels depicting battles were made from guns retrieved as spoils of war from the enemy from waterloo. He was some dude for one dude.
    In the park's visitor centre (which, now with new playground and rejuvinated coffee shop is a great place for to spend a few hours with kids)you can see a number of proposed designs for the testimonial before they opted for the present one. It was widely aesthically reviled.
    There are nature trails and drawing classes run from the visitor's centre for kids at weekend,usually kicking off at three.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Gavin 'Sticky with the Wiki' Shels!

Actually nothing to do with Wikipedia.;) My dad and my Geography/History teacher are my sources of this info.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Walk the banks of the Dodder from Milltown to Templeogue.

Actually nothing to do with Wikipedia.;) My dad and my Geography/History teacher are my sources of this info.:D
    I had a cucumber sandwich and a cup of tea sitting on it this morning.

Advertisement