Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Autotests

Options
  • 21-04-2008 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Contemplating taking part in Autotest. I was wondering if any1 here has any experiecne/advice etc. that they could give. All comments etc. welcome.
    Thanks
    LM
    (For any1 who doesn't know what it is
    http://www.motorsportireland.com/index.cfm/loc/7-7.htm )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The best thing is to go to one or two and watch.

Take a good look at the cars as well, and just ask questions. Most of them are a good bunch.

For the car, get a small front wheel drive, strip it right out (interior, glass except front & back windows, wiring loom, and anything not structural), tighten the handbrake, put very thin tyres (135's) on the back at about 40 to 50psi, and off you go. Toyota Starlets & Nova's are quite common as they'll take some punishment.

Before you do anything, go to one or two first.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

ianobrien wrote: »
    The best thing is to go to one or two and watch.

Take a good look at the cars as well, and just ask questions. Most of them are a good bunch.

For the car, get a small front wheel drive, strip it right out (interior, glass except front & back windows, wiring loom, and anything not structural), tighten the handbrake, put very thin tyres (135's) on the back at about 40 to 50psi, and off you go. Toyota Starlets & Nova's are quite common as they'll take some punishment.

Before you do anything, go to one or two first.

As far as i know there's one coming up in Clare next weekend. I'll go to that. got an offer of a 96 Fiesta 1.3, would that do the trick?

Do u do it urself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I assume you have a Motorsport Licence?

I've never done one officially, but I've marshalled LOADS, and done results etc and sometimes had a go in a friends Starlet (in his yard)

If you're going ahead, ruthlessly strip the car (I mean down to the carpets, headlining, wiring going to the back, most of the dashboard, drill the bottom of the doors, all door glass). Make sure that the handbrake is good and strong, put about 20psi in the front tyres, about 40psi in the back.

Try and get some practice, learning how far the car will go on the handbrake, getting tyre pressures right to cut down wheelspin, and learning how to reverse the car fast.

Enjoy yourself

Licence i don't have as of yet, from motorsportireland.ie it seems all i need to do is fill out a form and pay. Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Great fun, more for the competitors rather than the spectators. Get in touch with your local motorclub...plenty of support & help available generally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

OP, you could also try posing your questions over on the Motorsport forum, there are lots of active competitors in all sorts of stuff over there.

Rovi wrote: »
    OP, you could also try posing your questions over on the Motorsport forum, there are lots of active competitors in all sorts of stuff over there.

Ha, embarrassed now:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I competed for many years in a number of Minis but have been out of it for about 10 years. Its a fairly cheap form of motorsport until you get really involved & are trying to win a championship. Then it can get expensive. As mentioned before, go along to a few events & talk to the guys. They are always keen to get new people involved. Fiesta is a bit big but if you are getting it cheap, then it's a good start. Firstly you will need to lighten it as much as possible - remove everything unnecessary - seats, carpet, door trim,spare wheel etc- anything to reduce weight. We used to replace the glass with perspex but leave the windscreen as is. Some type of bucket seat without a headrest would be handy to stop you sliding about. I used to also use a lap strap. You should remove or pin back the button on the handbrake to make it easier/quicker to pull. We used to also remove the step from the gear linkage so that there was no lift to get reverse. Try & find somewhere quiet & practise handbraking around a cone or similar & changing from first to reverse while throwing the car

Give it a go. There is a Munster Championship. I never enjoyed viewing an Autotest but always enjoyed competing.

Hope this helps,

T

Advertisement