Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing the Van Battery

• 21-04-2008 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭

I've been looking for an answer to a problem.

My van battery won't hold it's charge (not the leisure one). I went out to turn her over yesterday and it's dead - flat as a pancake. Not even a dash light showing up. This isn't the first time, and someone has suggested it could be dead. I have managed to recharge her before, but am a bit scared to rely on her for the summer.

Can anyone tell me where (south Dublin) is a good place to buy a replacement, and can I assume that the size I need is a direct swap. The one in the van is a 72ah / 400A version.

The van is a 2.8 jTD, 2000 Fiat Ducato (import).

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Any motor factors should be able to supply one, Halfords in LiffeyValley also stock them. Some garages may be able to test it for you but it sounds like it's dead if it's not holding a charge. You should also check the water level in the battery just to rule that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Thanks Stapeler - it's a non-serviceable battery so can't check the water. I guess I'm off to Halfords so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If there is a small power drain while its just sitting there , it will run it flat over time. If the van is only used occasionally , you could fit a cut-off switch ( and maybe a little solar panel to counteract the self-discharge) .

This sorta thing : http://www.rally-parts.co.uk/acatalog/masterswitch.jpg

Halfords seem expensive for batteries btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Modern radios with all their fancy blinking lights and memoriy settings are prime suspects for slowly sucking power ...I know mine is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

If your battery has been discharged for more than 12 hours it's probably only suitable for replacment.
    After you replace your battery consider buying one of these. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=98358&doy=21m4. I find it good enough to keep the battery fully charged while van is laid up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I got mine at Halfords Carrickmines, probably a little dearer but they will fit it for you and take away/recycle the old one. Worth the little extra IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Thanks guys - I reckon I don't trust the battery since it's done it several times now. I tried to get a price from Halfords today but "they were busy". I'm up there for something else soon, so I'll price theirs. I did get a price from a local motor factors - 120 yoyo for a 72ah / 400a one.

Fitting it is a doddle, I've had it out several times 'cos of the discharge anyway - but the disposal offer might win out if it's less than 20 yoyos more with Halfords, cos it'd cost that to get into the recycle centre.

2 Stroke -

That trickle charger is for me! I happen to be in Dublin tomorrow so I'll be hitting Maplins. And it's on sale right now. Thanks for the tip. QQ - Can this work if I place the panel on the dashboard or does it have to be outside the van??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

zoltar_boi wrote: »
    That trickle charger is for me! I happen to be in Dublin tomorrow so I'll be hitting Maplins. And it's on sale right now. Thanks for the tip. QQ - Can this work if I place the panel on the dashboard or does it have to be outside the van??

I place mine on the dash when van is laid up, it compensates for natural discharge, clock and alarm,occasional use of tv, Not suitable for fully charging a flat battery, but not powerful enough to overcharge a van/leisure battery.

Advertisement