Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Government emergency booklet

• 21-04-2008 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is the right forum for this thread but here 'tis:

I have just received Willie O'Dea's "Preparing for Major Emergencies", and I now seriously wonder if he and I are on the same planet. Examples:

Hazardous chemical spills -- Stay indoors and wait for the emergency services to tell me what to do. Nah. I would normally dash out and roll in the stuff.
    Accidents at sea -- call 112 or 999 and ask for the coastguard. Is there anyone out there who would not at least dial 112 or 999 and ask the operator who should be notified?
    Explosions etc -- get out of the way. If debris is falling, get under a table. How to identify suspect packages. Useful advice. I would otherwise have stayed there and watched the bang. Get under a table if things are falling on my head? Now there's an idea. Suspicious devices? Like a black roundy thing with a fuse sticking out of it?
    Nuclear incidents -- No worries. We're too far away from sites for any severe effects. Just stay away from food the Government warns against. Stay indoors. So what were all the scares about Sellafields about then? What about the iodine tablets we were all issued with? And food when they are continually warning us against so many foods that we should be on a permanent diet of grass? If a nuke hit Limerick, or Sellafields exploded, without this good advice I would have run outside to look, and would have then gone to Tesco for some sustenance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Sadly, i fear that there's a huge subset of the population who wouldn't know what to do in any of those situations, except maybe 'check d'booklet!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

My granny says she'll never use 112 as the 999 lot have had years more practice. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I was expecting a tax rebate in the post this morning...you can imagine the glee on my face when this farce landed on my doormat instead.
    It's this government's and the HSE's seemingly firm belief that publishing lots of shiny brochures, booklets and leaflets is the answer to all this country's forseeable problems.
    Why is every second page in this booklet devoid of text and filled instead with pleasantly coloured backgrounds, icons and soundbites? Oh look at the pwetty pictures!
    I'd love to see a costing behind this particular campaign and leaflet publishing in general...someone's making a packet.
    The First Aid bit should come in useful for cutting A&E attendance eh? To be fair the section on pandemics is good advice, but in the event of a serious one mass hysteria and survival instincts would take over, no matter what you tell the public to do...

Yes duck and cover, everything will be just grand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Seriously lacking in information re: zombies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the HSE cant manage now never mind if we get a flu pandemic.

• Advertisement

Yeah.

Where's the information about things that will actually happen. Like zombies, huge turtles eating the sun, the four horsemen of the apocalypse and things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Seriously lacking in information re: zombies

I know!! Damn government and their half-assed booklets! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I wonder how much it cost to produce that glossy colour booklet and sent it to every house in the country? There is a lot better uses for that money.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I wish they'd do the old atomic war one again fill a wardrobe with earth , lean it up against the door and you'll be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Got it a few days ago and was thinking how terrible it is. Pretty much all the things just say "Wait inside and we'll tell you what to do".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

ART6 wrote: »
    How to identify suspect packages. Useful advice. I would otherwise have stayed there and watched the bang. Get under a table if things are falling on my head? Now there's an idea. Suspicious devices? Like a black roundy thing with a fuse sticking out of it?
    There was a bomb found that was in a Pringles packet only a while ago.

There was a bomb found that was in a Pringles packet only a while ago.

Is this a new angle to tackle child obesity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Wertz wrote: »
    It's this government's and the HSE's seemingly firm belief that publishing lots of shiny brochures, booklets and leaflets is the answer to all this country's forseeable problems.

The First Aid bit should come in useful for cutting A&E attendance eh? To be fair the section on pandemics is good advice, but in the event of a serious one mass hysteria and survival instincts would take over, no matter what you tell the public to do...

Yes duck and cover, everything will be just grand...

I'm surprised they didn't advise that in the event of a crisis or 'Major Emergency' in the national health system, you should insinuate as much blame at the front line staff. Propaganda opportunity missed there,.... bloody amateurs should be sent to china to learn some proper propaganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

load a ****e, typical gov. thinking, people have lost common sense, feck if it was on kilnascully people wpold be laughing at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Wertz wrote: »
    Is this a new angle to tackle child obesity?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Total waste of time and our money.We have only ourselves to blame because we keep electing these gob****es back into power.I'm still waiting delivery of the iodine tablets they promised.Only in Ireland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Explosions etc -- get out of the way. If debris is falling, get under a table.
    Duck and cover.
    Nuclear incidents -- No worries. We're too far away from sites for any severe effects. Just stay away from food the Government warns against. Stay indoors.
    Duck and cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

berliner wrote: »
    Total waste of time and our money.We have only ourselves to blame because we keep electing these gob****es back into power.I'm still waiting delivery of the iodine tablets they promised.Only in Ireland!!
    because i have nothing to complain about :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

If Willie O'Dea were in an emergency, he could use the iodine tablets hidden in his moustache

(if you don't get this, you've missed something very important)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In the event of a nuclear strike, build a fallout shelter and stay in there until it's safe to come out... about 500 years should do the trick.

• Advertisement

I'm still waiting delivery of the iodine tablets they promised.

Don't worry man, they were crap anyway...no buzz off them at all.

I saw a few clips from the British government's Protect and Survive initiative - a series of TV ads put together in the 70s intended for broadcast if there was ever a nuclear attack (this was during the Cold War when it seemed pretty plausible).
    One of the lines is something like: "In the aftermath of a nuclear strike, Britain is likely to be an uninhabitable wasteland..." So even though it's gonna be "uninhabitable", you're still gonna give us tips on how to survive...? O...kay...

If anyone's interested, YouTube "Protect and Survive" - utterly ludicrous but so scary... In particular the sound effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Everyone else got theirs years ago, so you've been at risk of glowing all that time. Still, don't worry about it, since they have now said the pills should be thrown away as they are no longer needed. What they don't say is that they were for the wrong type of radiation in the first place -- a brand of radioactive iodine that Sellafield had not processed for many years.

In response to EI-DAV the Irish Daily Mail reported that the booklet cost €2 millions

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The forgot to put "Don't Panic" on the cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Igy wrote: »
    Sadly, i fear that there's a huge subset of the population who wouldn't know what to do in any of those situations, except maybe 'check d'booklet!'
    Might be no harm, survival of the fittest. Could be good for the gene pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

At least those of us who survive will eventually emerge from our shelters able to speak a bit of Irish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How come when Bertie and Willie sign their names in Irish they both have the same handwriting, which is completey different from how either of their names appear in English? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Things missed-

Zombies
    Martian invasion
    Cloverfields
    Bear attacks
    Crab people attacks
    What to do when The Blob arrives
    The Rapture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

Guys, I've lost my booklet and I don't know what to do. I think I put it in the recycling but it wont save me there. What should I do?! :confused::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

I'm confused............... I've only got a glass table!!!!!!

Conflicting emotions inside me...... booklet tells me to hide under a table but my common sense telling me otherwise.......

HELP ME WILLIE O'DEA!!!!!!!!!:p

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    I'm confused............... I've only got a glass table!!!!!!

Conflicting emotions inside me...... booklet tells me to hide under a table but my common sense telling me otherwise.......

HELP ME WILLIE O'DEA!!!!!!!!!:p

You have it made. At least you'll be able to see what's falling on you.:)

Guys, I've lost my booklet and I don't know what to do. I think I put it in the recycling but it wont save me there. What should I do?! :confused::(

Contact Willie and ask for another copy. They need to get rid of another couple of million bucks.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i see other countries and localities have mass drills where are our drills, I know there was one big one last year but i think that was for the emergeency serices themselves how about one for the public?

okay so we don't have volcanoes and tornadoes but a flooding one or general evacuation drill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I have it on good authority that the Lizzards created this booklet so that we get complacent. That's when they'll strike.:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I haven't read the Government booklet yet, have heard 'tis pretty bad! :D
    But it can't be much worse than these "ant-terrorist" signs! :pac:
    (America....who else?)

• Advertisement

I haven't read the Government booklet yet, have heard 'tis pretty bad! :D
    But it can't be much worse than these "ant-terrorist" signs! :pac:
    (America....who else?)

Excellent stuff! You should pass it on to Willie immediately so that we can expect another booklet.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pointless book, our job as the general public is to run around in mass hysteria and completely rely on the emergency services to prevent us from falling off cliff edges like Lemmings. I hope they got some books too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Nuclear incidents -- No worries. We're too far away from sites for any severe effects. Just stay away from food the Government warns against. Stay indoors. So what were all the scares about Sellafield about then? What about the iodine tablets we were all issued with? And food when they are continually warning us against so many foods that we should be on a permanent diet of grass? If a nuke hit Limerick, or Sellafield exploded, without this good advice I would have run outside to look, and would have then gone to Tesco for some sustenance.
    Apart from the fact that, despite all the paranoia about Sellafield, there's actually a nuclear power station on the north coast of Anglesey that's half the distance away that Sellafield is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wylfa

It's supposedly being decommissioned in 2010 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dudess wrote: »
    I saw a few clips from the British government's Protect and Survive initiative - a series of TV ads put together in the 70s intended for broadcast if there was ever a nuclear attack (this was during the Cold War when it seemed pretty plausible).
    One of the lines is something like: "In the aftermath of a nuclear strike, Britain is likely to be an uninhabitable wasteland..." So even though it's gonna be "uninhabitable", you're still gonna give us tips on how to survive...? O...kay...

If anyone's interested, YouTube "Protect and Survive" - utterly ludicrous but so scary... In particular the sound effects.

Sure dont you remember that special on Sky One a couple years ago where that former SAS lad was showing how you could survive after a Nuclear Strike?

If there's a nuclear bomb, find the mutant's leader and kill them, thus taking over the band of thieving midget mutants.

• Advertisement

There are 800 quangos in Ireland with an annual budget of €13 BILLION.Shocking waste.We really are the most passive docile people in Europe.We accept everything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There are 800 quangos in Ireland with an annual budget of €13 BILLION.Shocking waste.We really are the most passive docile people in Europe.We accept everything.
    Any source for that?

Any source for that?

googled 'quangos' and found those figures for the Ripoff of Ireland on wikipedia.Seems everytime you put on the radio one of those quangos is advertising their office. Fish protecting agency,wages agency...endless list of useless nonsense full of political cronies.

most of the booklets are in the bin by now and someone is laughing all the way to the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

and they are not usable as bog rool either, complete waste, have to be recycled costing even more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Dudess wrote: »

There was a cartoon released in England based around a couple preparing for nuclear bombs to be dropped. The name escapes me now but it was damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 cligereen

If I remember rightly, it was called 'When the Wind Blows'.

Yep, animation done by Raymond Briggs, the guy behind The Snowman. Very powerful stuff...

Advertisement