Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If we could only sign 3 players - what positions?

Options
  • 21-04-2008 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Assuming we could only sign 3 players this window. what positions do you think they should be?

For me goalkeeper and 2 central midfielders. One a ball winner/holding player and the other a creative type.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

depends if Berba leaves or not, if he does then we need a striker! :(
    GK ,CM ,CF

But hopefully we can get rid of some of the deadwood and bring in a few more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Not sure on who I would sign however these are ones I'd definitely sell:-

Lee YP
    Kaboul
    Boateng
    Taarabt
    Cerny
    Rocha
    Bent
    Ghaly, Gardener and Staltieri (although on loan I think theyre still on our books )

I think we need a GK, couple of reliable defenders, Tackling CM and CF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

If I were restricted to three id go for a GK CM and LM.Jaskeleinen for me in goal not sure about names for other positions,another Carrick type player would be ideal and a speedy left winger with a lethal cross.Apparently Diego Capel is a name we are linked with but i have not seen much of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Keeper, new centre-half to replace King and Christian Poulsen TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Same here Goalkeeper, Centre Half & Centre Midfielder.

Poulsen is a good call and a strong possibility.

If the budget would stretch to 4 players, I would include a left winger aswell.

• Advertisement

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Not sure on who I would sign however these are ones I'd definitely sell:-
    Lee YP
    Kaboul
    Boateng
    Taarabt
    Cerny
    Rocha
    Bent
    Ghaly, Gardener and Staltieri (although on loan I think theyre still on our books )

I think we need a GK, couple of reliable defenders, Tackling CM and CF

Well according to news today both Kaboul and Cerny are expecting to leave in the summer, so thats 2 down, just another 8 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I'd go for Craig Gordon, Bentley, Lescott and/or Arteta.
    They are realistic (especially if Everton don't get Uefa cup next season)

I agree on ctr half and ctr midfield but I can't come up with any relaistic improvments. I don't know many european footballers (apart from the big names who we could never sign) so I can't comment on Poulsen or whoever else. I do like Jimmy Bullard though.

One thing's for sure, there's gonna be some big changes in the summer with Junde starting to mould his own squad.

Interesting times ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

GK - CB - CM

I think we also need a LM, and if Berbs or Bent go obviously another Striker

All conjecture at this point, to many possibilities, depends who stays or goes - we will just have to wait and see in the summer.

All I do know is that I would like to see Robbo and Chimbo gone - I think between them they have cost us lot of points this season, maybe enough to have assured us a European place in the league in fact!
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

keeper.centre back.midfield. gordon,dunne(has he signed new contract at man city yet?,barry as for up front who knows what will happen over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

curraghyid wrote: »
    gordon,dunne,barry.
    Good calls. I also like the mention of Jimmy Bullard above, I think he would be a great addition, lively & skillful. Would run forever for the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Shaun Wright Phiilips worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lads, is Bullard not just an upgrade on the Michael Brown's of this world?

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great little player but if we're serious about trying to sort out the middle of the park we need to be looking for top quality. Bullard would be no more than a squad player for us.

I'm also not convinced by any Craig Gordon, and would much rather Rob Green from the Bingo Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Cant believe people are mentioning Bullard, he's not gonna take us on to the next level now is he ??? Poulsen from Sevilla to sit and protect the back four, and a decent attacking player to compliment him, maybe Martin Cahill from Everton !!! Would'nt touch Craig Gordon, anyway, Sunderland bought him for 10 million or something, Id doubt they would sell him for any cheaper. Id take Boruc ahead of Gordon or Green.

I have said it before and been slaughtered but Id take a gamble with McGeady !!!

This is a tough one, on one hand we want top class players who will take us to the next level, however these players are players who are looking for teams already in the CL,(like Berbs) they are not looking to play for a club that finished in the bottom half of the premiership and qualified for the UEFA cup next year by winning the least prestigious cup up for contention in the English league.

This is the kind of stuff that makes managers like Winger and Fergi great managers - the ability to take average players with potential and mould them into a CL and Premiership wining side (over time of course). Of course once you have done that it gets easier because you then have the opportunity to add to the squad every year with the cream of Europe, thus strengthening your grip on these titles year after year!

We will have to see how Ramos stacks up as a "buying" manager - of course he will have help from our "excellent team" of scouts and advisers!:p

He has had his first real test (IMO) as a "motivating" manager in the last 7 games - you know still getting the most out of your players when their, heads and hearts don't seem to be in it! (c+ I am afraid, bordering on a D).

Tactically he seems to be a great manager, but as we all know a manager has many parts, we will just have to see how many great parts he has to put him up the wingers and Fergi's of this world.

By the end of next season we will know a lot more about him. I must admit I am a little (no very) disappointed by his lack of ability to motivate the team (or maybe even himself and coaching staff) to have a stronger determination to win on the field right now.

Fergi and Winger also have that rare quality in a manager, they are also like fans - screw just the tactics and long term vision, they want to win each and every game - for pride in the club, for the shirt - for the supporters! Very rare in todays style of manager.

THAT, my friends is the kind of manager I am looking for - strangely I don't think Ramos (BeniteZ, Grant, et all) fit the bill! (IMO). BMJ had the passion, but not the skill, it is a tough one, and that is why the top managers get the big bucks!!:eek:

Have to say John, that was a great shout.

I think we're all dissapointed with the lack of motivation shown over the last 7 or 8 games and questions should be asked on whether the players are hungry enough.

The only one for me, who stands out as always giving 100% is Robbie Keane and thats even when he's having a bad game or things aren't going right for him. He never stops trying. All we need is another 15 players with the same attitude.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Have to say John, that was a great shout.

I think we're all dissapointed with the lack of motivation shown over the last 7 or 8 games and questions should be asked on whether the players are hungry enough.

The only one for me, who stands out as always giving 100% is Robbie Keane and thats even when he's having a bad game or things aren't going right for him. He never stops trying. All we need is another 15 players with the same attitude.

As the song goes (sure you know it, but to the tune of yellow submarine, they don't sing it much, but they did once when I was at the lane)

At number 1 is Robbie Keane
    At number 2 is Robbie Keane
    Number 3 is Robbie Keane................
    Number 11 is Robbie Keane!!
    We all want a team of Robbie Keane's, a team of Robbie Keane's a team of Robbie keane's..........
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

John W wrote: »
    As the song goes (sure you know it, but to the tune of yellow submarine, they don't sing it much, but they did once when I was at the lane)

At number 1 is Robbie Keane
    At number 2 is Robbie Keane
    Number 3 is Robbie Keane................
    Number 11 is Robbie Keane!!
    We all want a team of Robbie Keane's, a team of Robbie Keane's a team of Robbie keane's..........
    :D

They sang it at the Sunderland game when he got his 100th goal... some buzz!!!

We need more than 3 players but if I had to choose.. GK, CM, CM.
    Ideally a high energy Mascherano/Essien type player and a creative player... Arteta would be perfect as he can play on the wing too.
    Hopefully we go with more experienced players as well... Our youngsters need a bit of leadership i reckon.

Advertisement