Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can only access certain sites with BT

Options
  • 21-04-2008 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

My BT broadband (1 meg) was acting up the other day. I decided to update the firmware on my router, a 3com Officeconnect to see if made a difference.

I re-entered the BT settings and the connection is up and running but with problems.

I'm able to get on some site, like boards for example but I can't get on other sites (btireland.com). For other sites it say it can't find the server but when I refresh the page it loads the site ok.

I can ping some sites no problem too and others time out.

I can't get on the BT site to check my settings. Any suggestions what could be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭NCS

btireland.ie is also unavailable to me currently, I assume they have problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

This is driving me mental

I can get onto boards.i and google.com but for the majority of sites, I click on them, the page title loads up and the page just sits there loading and eventually times out.

Are there settings on the router I should change. Would MTU numbers etc affect anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭muffinhead

I'm on BT 1MB also and I found, a while back, quite a few sites would only load the title then hang for about 30secs in IE6. So I switched to Firefox, with the AdBlock Plus extension installed, and amazingly these sites load much quicker now.

If you check the status bar, when these sites don't load, does it say something like "loading ads.*****.com"?

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/

muffinhead wrote: »
    I'm on BT 1MB also and I found, a while back, quite a few sites would only load the title then hang for about 30secs in IE6. So I switched to Firefox, with the AdBlock Plus extension installed, and amazingly these sites load much quicker now.

If you check the status bar, when these sites don't load, does it say something like "loading ads.*****.com"?

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/

Have the two of them installed already. Was hoping to upgrade to 2 meg but not sure if I'll bother if the service is dodgy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Try flush the DNS cache with "ipconfig /flushdns" in a command prompt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

OpenDNS time - http://www.opendns.com/

I used to be on BT and the DNS was a little flaky

Thanks lads.

I've tried the two of them and things seem to have improved. Hopefully it'll work ok now.

Appreciate the help.

Advertisement