Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing Law Subjects 3rd Year BnL

Options
  • 21-04-2008 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi, I'm a second year BBLS student. I'm looking up the different law modules on offer in third year and I was wondering if people could post some info on them (i.e. class size, lecturer etc). Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Kelso

Depends what exactly you're looking for: easy subjects, exams for exemptions, no continuous assessment etc.
    Media law is 100% continuous assessment if you want one less exam.
    Must do Land law if you want to cover yourself for entry requirements of Kings Inns/Solicitors
    Planning Law and Medical Law are generally considered pretty handy.
    Admin also has to be done for Kings Inns/solicitors.

Most of the choice will be the exact same in 4th year also, with equity thrown in too so you might not want to pick all the easy ones in 3rd year because it will leave you none in 4th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Tá Mé Gaeilge

Medical Law- Very Handy- he pretty much gives you exam.
    Admin Law - sooooooooooooo long. It really does kill you
    Land Law- Everyone does it because apparently you need to for legal route- i'd check this out though cause some people dropped it saying it wasn't needed

They were my three this year anyway.

See you in 4th year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Player_86

Land Law - not easy, very challenging. I would advise you to avoid if possible, and remeber that there's a new Bill coming in that makes a very large chunk of what we're doing at the moment obsolete. Maybe leave this until 4th year, if that's possible.

Commercial Law - excellent lecturer, tough marker however. I personally find this subject interesting, but some don't. Difficult exam also.

Corporate Finance Law - interesting stuff. The big law firms like you to do this, in my experience, because they always comment on it in interviews. Again, I enjoy this subject, but it's not for everyone.

Best of luck picking your subjects, think carefully before you take the plunge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Kelso

Player,

As far as I know you can't do Land Law in 4th year, has to be third unless you were away on erasmus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Anyone in here 4th year BnL?
    I did Media, IP1, Criminology, Land 1+2 - in third year. Media is very doable, you dont need to attend lectures to be honest, and the biggest factor in this is whether you are able to do autonomous research, as thats a huge part.
    Criminology is probably the most interesting law subject you will do however its very difficult and deep to study and do well in.
    Land - both are quite tough, but once you get your head around the new terms there are quite good.
    I did Commercial and Planning this year, and both are good.

For easy marks go for Planning 1+2, Medical 1+2 - then do whatever you are interested in/need.

Also NB - If you average 68 in both law and business you get a 1st class hons, I didnt realise this until this week, 10 days before my finals!

• Advertisement
Advertisement