Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Civil Service Mileage Rates

Options
  • 21-04-2008 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi All,

I drive a company van and get paid civil service mileage rates(only new in the job so bit confused)

My boss is saying that because I drive a company van (vw caddy 2L) I get paid 36.65 cent per km where as if I had my own car i could claim 78 cent per km - is that right?

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its not that simple- the mileage rate depends on the engine size, and there can be different rates for different circumstances.

The 36.65cent is correct- for any vehicle over 1.5 litres, for mileage in excess of 6,438km per year. If you drive less than the 6,438km in the year, you get 78.32cent.

So- its dependent on how much you drive, nothing else.

A reduced rate of 25.83cent per km would normally be applicable (if for example you were driving a company/official car). The higher rate reflects the fact that you have to pay the insurance yourself on your own car.

Rates and the current circular from the Department of Finance is here.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sprint316

Hi smccarrick,

thanks for replying - im still a bit confused.....

does that mean i should only be getting 25.83 cent a km or is the 25.83 minused from the 78.32?

sprint316 wrote: »
    Hi smccarrick,

thanks for replying - im still a bit confused.....

does that mean i should only be getting 25.83 cent a km or is the 25.83 minused from the 78.32?

No- the reduced rate is 25.83 cent per km, full stop.

If you were not on the reduced rate- you would get 78.32cent for the first 6437km and 36.65cent for every km thereafter.

The reason its structured like this is to try to make sure that people are delibertly not trying to use mileage to make mop up......

If you're only driving a small amount, you get a better rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

These are really maximum rates that can be paid without tax implications. They are very high: I was getting €1.26 per mile... A return trip to Cork would net me €441 plus allowances for food, as well as my normal salary.

Not many private employers will pay that kind of rate.

Thanks for info.

I travel from Wicklow to Dublin each day, with travel throughout Dublin all day long. Does reduced rates always apply if you have a company van. I seem to be losing out with the current price of deisel.

Thanks again for your help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

VH wrote: »
    These are really maximum rates that can be paid without tax implications. They are very high: I was getting €1.26 per mile... A return trip to Cork would net me €441 plus allowances for food, as well as my normal salary.

Not many private employers will pay that kind of rate.

i work in a private consulting engineers firm and our mileage rate is 65 cents per mile. just to throw a spanner in the works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi All,

I drive a company van and get paid civil service mileage rates(only new in the job so bit confused)

My boss is saying that because I drive a company van (vw caddy 2L) I get paid 36.65 cent per km where as if I had my own car i could claim 78 cent per km - is that right?

Thanks,

Hang on, 'company van' = your company owns the van. How can you be paid mileage then?

I thought you had to personally own the van to get mileage.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

stevec wrote: »
    Hang on, 'company van' = your company owns the van. How can you be paid mileage then?

I thought you had to personally own the van to get mileage.:confused:

That's what i thought also!!! how can a company pay you mileage for a vehicle they own?

Aside, i was looking up the civil service mileage rates the other week and noticed that you get €0.08 / km for using your push bike :eek:
    I'd love to know if anyone has ever claimed it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

smccarrick wrote: »
    Rates and the current circular from the Department of Finance is here.

Thanks for the link, Shane. I'll include it in the main sticky

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

That's what i thought also!!! how can a company pay you mileage for a vehicle they own?

Aside, i was looking up the civil service mileage rates the other week and noticed that you get €0.08 / km for using your push bike :eek:
    I'd love to know if anyone has ever claimed it!!!

I know a lad in Justice years ago claimed it.

The civil service don't pay your T&S(Travel & Subsistance) if they own the van. We are getting a new van in work in the next few weeks and I was told it was to stop all the T&S claims.
    I get a few trips in my new place, when I was training in Dublin before christmas I was getting mileage for the week(Told my boss I didn't want to claim it as I was happy with them paying for the course and he said it was grand.) If you don't abuse it, its great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

kceire wrote: »
    i work in a private consulting engineers firm and our mileage rate is 65 cents per mile. just to throw a spanner in the works.
    I don't work in the public service any more, but from what I gather 65c a mile (ie half) is typical in private industry.

@OP, civil/public service + own car (1.6L+) = win win. If you're in private industry, no matter what you do you will not get more that 65c or so.

Since this is a new job, I am unfamiliar with the whole process of how Company are paying me miles. The van in which I use is their Company Van and I provide Diesel payment, which I claim back in the form of mileage at the end of each month. They say that it is based on Civil Service rates but as mentioned previously - how can they pay me miles if it is their van. I am losing out big time money wise.....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Since this is a new job, I am unfamiliar with the whole process of how Company are paying me miles. The van in which I use is their Company Van and I provide Diesel payment, which I claim back in the form of mileage at the end of each month. They say that it is based on Civil Service rates but as mentioned previously - how can they pay me miles if it is their van. I am losing out big time money wise.....:confused:

Do you not just have a petrol card for the van or something? Normally most of the amount paid for mileage goes towards "wear and tear" on the car, not the actual fuel....

It all depends on the size of your van, but if they are just covering Diesel, €0.15 /mile would probably cover it, anything after that would be a bonus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

I do promo work for a company and get €15 per hour for driving down the country in my own car.

About €0.21c per km! They pay for the fuel and expense though so this brings it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

OP,

Why not just keep the fuel receipts and claim back your expenses with those?

Sounds a bit opportunistic for them to have you fill their car with fuel, but pay you back at a predetermined mileage rate.

prospect wrote: »

Sounds a bit opportunistic for them to have you fill their car with fuel, but pay you back at a predetermined mileage rate.

Well- its what happens in the civil service and elsewhere- they are simply mirroring an accepted practice in the public sector. You won't make a lot of money from it- if you actually have to drive a lot the rate is crap, and if you don't drive much you're limited unless you have a large engine size, in which case you're going to loose it in fuel, tax and insurance anyway. Getting the reduced rate driving a company van, and paying your own fuel bills, is actually not a bad situation at all. The OP isn't even on the reduced rate- he is getting the high mileage rate for a large vehicle. If he were in the public sector he would have to deduct annual tax and insurance from the gross amount p.a. along with paying his fuel bill, which he isn't doing.

I'd suggest keep schum on the matter and accept the 36.65cent offered- you're definitely not going to do any better. Its obvious the company you work doesn't understand how the public sector mileage rates work.

S.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Still confused on this.

As it's a company van, they can claim VAT back on the diesel. They can't if they pay milage.

Maybe it's a BIK workaround.

sprint316, how can you say you are losing out by getting 36c/km. That should cover the fuel cost twice over. Are you paying for maintaining the van as well? have you other costs that you haven't told us?

The civil service rates are what the revenue allow to be paid tax-free. i.e. above those rates you pay income tax on the milage. They also only apply when the employee owns the vehicle.
    Most private companies pay less than these rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

smccarrick wrote: »
    Well- its what happens in the civil service and elsewhere- they are simply mirroring an accepted practice in the public sector.

S.

I don't think so.
    In the public sector you usually either:
    Drive your own vehicle and claim back a mileage rate.
    Drive a vehicle owned by your employer who pays all the associated vehicle expenses, including fuel, through a fuel card, or by refunding receipts.

I have never heard of any person driving an employer owned vehicle, and paying the fuel themselves, and then getting a mileage rate...
    Is the OP also supposed to pay for servicing and upkeep, tyres etc... The value of these are also considered in a mileage rate.

Hi All,

thanks for all the replies - just a quick update

i questioned my boss about the rates and asked how they worked - he wasn't happy so because i have only started the job he said my probabtion period wasn't working out and told me to finish up

mental note, keep mouth shut in future :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I get €0.98 per mile which is a decent rate for a private engineering company.

A few of my jobs are based out side Dublin which means a fair bit of expenses.

The rates change depending on your grade which rejects how often you would be expected on site.

The rates are meant to cover the running costs of the car such as fuel, insurance etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement