Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with angle

Options
  • 21-04-2008 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on building shelving in my attic, my intention is to build a case running with the angles, in other words securing wood to the ceiling and putting shelves in between using housings. One angle in particular is 55 degrees. The only way of cutting the housing is with my table saw, which only cuts at max 45. I know I'm probably missing some fundamental of geometry, but short of cutting scraps to see what angle is right, is there an easier way of figuring out what angle the saw should be set at. I include a rough shetch for clarity. Btw, that 45 in the apex is actually more like 24.
    45nq3.jpg
    Shot at 2008-04-20

As you can tell I'm not too good with angles,so any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

in relation to the 24 just check that because the 3 angles is a tri angle make 180 so (180-24)/2 = 78 which suggests u are living in an alpine hut:pac:

if the 55 is right the other side is 180 - 55.

I have had the same issue with the table saw so I used a router with shims at the correct angle.
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thanks ircoha. My 11 year old nephew informs me that my 24 is actually 114,which would make my 55 a 33,manageable on the saw afterall. Yet again,not paying attention in school. I'll probably have to do a test cut or two anyway:rolleyes:

BTW,I'd be interested in seeing how you set up your router with shims,any chance of a pic or two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 turnertina

Dubtom,
    For future reference if your angle is more than 45deg, visualise that a straight line is 90deg.
    So if for example your angle happened to be 55deg you would set your saw to 35deg (90-55=35).
    If you think about the logic when you cut at 55deg your offcut would be 35deg! So work the wood to be on the offcut side thus giving you the 35deg you would require

Gosh, I hope you get what I'm saying!!

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

turnertina wrote: »
    Dubtom,
    For future reference if your angle is more than 45deg, visualise that a straight line is 90deg.
    So if for example your angle happened to be 55deg you would set your saw to 35deg (90-55=35).
    If you think about the logic when you cut at 55deg your offcut would be 35deg! So work the wood to be on the offcut side thus giving you the 35deg you would require

Gosh, I hope you get what I'm saying!!

J

the table saw I have has the sliding carriage only on one side and the fence is on the other side so cutting a housing on the 'other side' using the sliding carriage is not an option for me:pac:

Advertisement