Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to the Leaving Cert

Options
  • 21-04-2008 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm doing a project on whether or not the leaving cert should be replaced, my argument is that it should be replaced with either continuous assessment, modularisation or projects. What are your thoughts on this? What do you think would be the pros and cons of this system?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

Continuous assessment would definitely be a much more healthy, productive and educational method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I think we should stick with what we have

It's worked so far why change it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What you describe is already partly here - in the form of the LCA.

For the standard LC to incorporate continuous assessment and/or projects across all subjects, although every educational expert would say they are the way to go, you would be faced with large financial costs and union issues so they would be a non-starter in an Irish situation.

Among the pros would be a much more accurate reflection of a person's ability in real world situations - attendance, working to deadlines, working alone, working in a group, researching a topic, in depth knowledge of topics or issues etc.

It's an interesting project - what subject area are you doing it in? Is it a TY project?

Advertisement