Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zoning oil burner central heating

Options
  • 21-04-2008 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

i have a standard oil boiler - it has 3 zones upstairs rads, downstairs rads and hot water tank in the hot press. All 3 zones pumped via a single feed from the boiler and a single variable speed circulation pump. The 2 heating zones have motorised valves whereas the hotwater (hw) has no valve.

I have installed a 2 gang light switch so that i can manually turn heating on upstairs and/or downstairs by switching the pwr to the motorised valves - that's working fine.

now i want to add a valve to the hw zone so that after the showers in the morning i can turn off the heat to the hw tank. the Q here is if the two heating zones are turned off and i then turn-off the hw circuit - will my boiler blow up ?

I work at home and have the heat on quiet a bit - the plan is to zone all 3 areas and then add a multi-zone controller such as http://www.multizone.ie/

ideas, comments anyone ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Hi, welcome to boards.

You'd probably get good replies in the Home Appliances or DIY forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

One thing I'd be concerned about; has your 2-gang switch been rated for that load.

This would be better suited to DIY, I'll request it be moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Newbies & FAQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

You will need to check if your boiler has an inbuilt bypass valve. This allows for water circulation even if all the zone valves are shut. Ideally the zone valves should be doing the calling for heat from the boiler and wired so that when off the boiler is off.

I was in a similar situation myself with the two heating zones controlled by room thermostats and the hw not zoned independantly.

I installed a seperate timeswitch -> cylinder stat -> motorised valve in the hotpress to essentially move the hw onto it's own zone and upgraded the room thermostats to programmable stats enabling complete control of all three zones. All have override/boost functionality and holiday modes for when I'm away. My gas boiler has a bypass valve built in. In order to achieve this I had to run a new cable from the hotpress to the boiler as the original wiring didn't allow for independant zones to call for heat but rather only supplied power to the zones (to be on/off based on the room thermostat) only when the boiler was on through the use of it's timeswitch (now bypassed).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭burdburd

thanks for that - i'll have a check for bypass route

• Advertisement
Advertisement