Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soakaway or sump???

Options
  • 21-04-2008 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm currently in the process of installing land drains in my garden (flat and 10m x 10m).

I've dug a large hole for the drains to soak into. All the websites that have given advice suggest digging a hole between 1.2 and 1.8m deep in order to get through to a permeable / porous layer of soil for the water to soak away.

I'm currently 1.4m down and still in some absolutely killer clay - it's getting a little demoralising! Under the topsoil was around half a metre of clay then some more dry soil then the clay I'm now up against. It's rained since Sunday and water is pooling in the bottom of the hole.

Can anyone tell me - am I really going to hit a porous level of soil below the clay? Is it a hard and fast rule that I'll not have to go beyond 2m? If the water builds up back up to the seemingly more porous level below the first level of clay, will it soak away or will I ultimately end up with a sump (which will inevitably overflow!?) Should I give up now???!!!:confused:

I'm at the level where I need to seriously consider shoring up the hole, but I don't want to start all that if I'm flogging a dead horse.

Possibly of note is that this is an old mining area and it is a large-scale Barratt site (now 15-20 years old).

All advice welcome! Many thanks! :(

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well Gabesdude, its sounds like you've put in the work but unfortunately the ground is worse than first thought. What I would do first is to fill the hole up to the top and see how long it takes to clear. You may have heavy clay at the bottom now, but the middle layer may be enough to do the job, and even if the the very bottom doesn't clear, it may not be necessary to fix the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gabesdude

Thanks for getting back to me Delly.

I suppose my concern is that if I rely on the middle layer, I don't want to have to be digging it all up again in 6 months if it doesn't work! On the other hand it might be easier to try it than trying to get through the clay now......

I might give it one last go this weekend, but I think one more foot is my limit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Visit a hire shop and hire a sds drill with a long bit, you should be able to get at least 3 feet. Drill the floor of your "sump" and see what comes up. If theres no light at the end of the tunnel, drill holes in the clay as deep as you can and fill holes with sand. I know a guy that did this and it worked.
    Best of luck

Advertisement