Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil burner problem

Options
  • 21-04-2008 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

On the supply pipe to my oil burner (central heating) there is a little brass fitting that says on top of it " Teddington Controls England". Can anyone tell me what this is for? The reason I ask is because when I was tightening the compression fittings on either side of it (it was leaking), I broke off a little copper wire coming out of the top of it. What are the consequences of this and can I fix it? Anybody help? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Filter or fire stop valve.

Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Sorry, I don't know how to add pictures to a post but thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

On the supply pipe to my oil burner (central heating) there is a little brass fitting that says on top of it " Teddington Controls England". Can anyone tell me what this is for? The reason I ask is because when I was tightening the compression fittings on either side of it (it was leaking), I broke off a little copper wire coming out of the top of it. What are the consequences of this and can I fix it? Anybody help? Thanks.

It's a fire valve and the oil should have shut off if you broke the capillary pipe coming from the top. It should be connected to a sensor which is located near the heat source. If the oil did not stop flowing, you do not have a working fire valve.
    Jim.

Thanks for the reply Jim. The valve is in the ground just outside my back door. The wire is going through the wall along with the oil pipe into the utility room where the burner is. And yes the burner is still working away fine. Does this mean the valve was never working in the first place? Can I test it in some way and if it's ok can i repair it in some way i.e solder the wire back on or something? Sorry about all the Q's.

Ger.

Thanks for the reply Jim. The valve is in the ground just outside my back door. The wire is going through the wall along with the oil pipe into the utility room where the burner is. And yes the burner is still working away fine. Does this mean the valve was never working in the first place? Can I test it in some way and if it's ok can i repair it in some way i.e solder the wire back on or something? Sorry about all the Q's.

Ger.

The wire is actually a capilary tube, hollow, so you can't just solder it.
    There is normally some kind of liquid (oil) in it. If the sensor (which is near the boiler) heats up, if there is a fire, the liquid expands and shuts off the oil flow to the burner.
    So, from what you say, the valve is not working. That type of fire valve is not the most popular in modern systems. Usually the fire valve is located very close to the boiler and a solder joint melts and shuts off the valve, if there is a fire.
    You could get one of these and fit it where the flexible oil line joins the copper one. You can of course get a similar one to the one you have and just replace it. You have not mentioned the sensor on the other end of the capilary tube - is it there ? - or has it been broken for some time.
    You should fit something, because if there was a fire, the insurance company might kick up.
    Jim.

• Advertisement

I fitted a new fire valve today. It's not exactly the same as the old one but I assume it should do the same job. The problem is when i was finished and everything connected back up, fuel supply valve open again, when i turn on the burner it cuts out again after just a few seconds. does anyone know what the problem is? It's a firebird-s burner. there's a reset button on it but it says reset twice only. i've already reset it twice but still no good. anybody help?

Ger.

I fitted a new fire valve today. It's not exactly the same as the old one but I assume it should do the same job. The problem is when i was finished and everything connected back up, fuel supply valve open again, when i turn on the burner it cuts out again after just a few seconds. does anyone know what the problem is? It's a firebird-s burner. there's a reset button on it but it says reset twice only. i've already reset it twice but still no good. anybody help?

Ger.

It's probably airlocked - see this thread for bleeding the oil pump - photo at the bottom with green arrow. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055255246&highlight=burner

I think that you have a slightly different model, but the oil pump is the same.

Thanks again James for your help, I'll try that later on and let you know how I get on.

Bleeding it did the trick, thanks again to JamesM, you're the man.

Advertisement