Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke gets in your eyes!

Options
  • 21-04-2008 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

Lit a fire in a little-used fireplace/chimney only to find Jackdaws had recently built a nest, by the time I heard the smoke alarm and put out the fire there was one fairly smoke-filled room. I quickly vented it and afterwards washed down hard surfaces (it's a living room) as much as possible. I've aired the room all day but the acrid smell is still lingering - has anyone any recommendations to improve the situation. Obviously according to other-half I conspired with the f-rigging crows, so must atone.

Are there any freshening agents that don't involve adding another layer of masking pong to the situation.

Any advice really appreciated.

Paul

btw - I took 2 hefty sacks of nest material out of it using sewer-rods and brushhead, all sorts of interesting stuff in among that lot. 20 years ago you'd have had only 1 sack, I blame New Ireland myself :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Fabreeze... it does exactly what it says on the ....bottle:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Burn some incense sticks. I've used them to get rid of a sooty smoke smell before and they really do work. You may have to use a couple if the smell is really bad, plus they don't leave a 'synthetic' air-freshener type smell around after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

paulb wrote: »
    Obviously according to other-half I conspired with the f-rigging crows, so must atone.

Ouch! I know that feeling.

If there's furniture with coverings in the room such as a couch or that it might be worth giving them a blast of a steam clean? Smell tends to linger in them

Advertisement