Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toshiba DVD Upscaler-€45 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

looks good

edit: just one thing, you might be able to find a hd-dvd player for similar money, which might be a better upscaler... but a hddvd player won't do divx etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Thanks! Just ordered one! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Out of interest how much did it come to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Same (or damn similiar one) cost €89 in currys. Good player.

Mine arrived by courier today - tried it out in comparison to XBOX360 playing a DVD. You can definitely see the quality improvement from SD to upscaled display. As you'd expect, not quite as good as HD DVD, but a marked improvement over SD. Havent tried DivX yet.

I see they have 45 of these left now.

(Sorry Dman001, it came to €44.75 in total!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Does it have SCART-in to upscale SD from NTL/UPC digital box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭steve927

Bought that one in Lidl today. Its brilliant, upsales really well, almost perfect in
    fact. €59.99 and they have a good few left (finglas). They have a gold plated HDMI cable on sale for €10 to go along with it Black & silver available..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

steve927 wrote: »
    Bought that one in Lidl today. Its brilliant, upsales really well, almost perfect in
    fact. €59.99 and they have a good few left (finglas). They have a gold plated HDMI cable on sale for €10 to go along with it Black & silver available..

Do these do xVid/DivX?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Denisoftus wrote: »

no dvd player wouldn't normally do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

steve927 wrote: »
    They have a gold plated HDMI cable on sale for €10 to go along with it Black & silver available..

Cheers just popped out and grabbed one, looking forward to trying it with the 360 and the new monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Poxy exchange rate on that site! €1 = £0.71

Not your ornery onager

eolhc wrote: »
    no dvd player wouldn't normally do that

Thanks, Does anything would do that?

NTL digital box SD just not good enough for 42" LCD, even if it uses RGB SCART.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Thanks, Does anything would do that?

NTL digital box SD just not good enough for 42" LCD, even if it uses RGB SCART.

A dvd recorder with hdmi output would deffo do it.Some will even upscale to 1080p.Make sure you get a good brand, though.Some upscaling looks scarcely better than normal.This should do the job

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/593001/art/sony/rdr-gx350-dvd-player-reco.html

Its a sony so the upscaling should be decent

Denisoftus, I checked and as this is a player only (as opposed to a recorder, as Zonda says), it does not have any inputs.

An upscaling recorder may very well do the job you require, but then again this particular player is under €45 - so horses for courses I guess!

Thanks for checking, I was in lidl today didn't find anything left, I probably go ahead with online one.

Advertisement