Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To declare or not to declare...?

Options
  • 21-04-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

I know this might not be the right place to post this but I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have been on my girlfriends insurance policy for the past 3 years as a named driver and I am planning on buying a second car to insure under my own name. The thing is, we (and by we, I mean I) had an accident last year and made a claim on the insurance.

My question is do I have to declare that claim to my new insurance company seeing as the policy was in my girlfriends name? Seems a little harsh that both policies would be penalised because of the one claim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

You crashed. YOU will be penalised, not her. The exact same thing happened to me on my father's policy. We shut it down immediately after the accident because we knew he'd (the other party) pull a fast one and so, the claim transferred to me

L

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This is your first policy - the claim was on the g/f's policy and she must declare it, not you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It depends on how much the claim was for - they can't load you because of a small claim, only if there was PI involved and it was €€€€€€€€€.

Bear in mind, they'll gladly take your cash no matter what you tell them, it's when there's an accident / claim that they'll get sticky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

kbannon wrote: »
    This is your first policy - the claim was on the g/f's policy and she must declare it, not you!

As a named driver, he becomes part of the policy.

It has relevance when you answer the bit where it asks "have you ever had a claim?" etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

stevec wrote: »
    As a named driver, he becomes part of the policy.

It has relevance when you answer the bit where it asks "have you ever had a claim?" etc.

only the person who owns the policy can make a claim, so in that case - gf

• Advertisement

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    only the person who owns the policy can make a claim, so in that case - gf

If you're named on a policy then AFAIK you're entitled to claim on it - not 100% sure though.

It's academic, if you fib on the application and they find out then they'll screw you in the event of a claim on the policy.

As I said they'll take your money regardless because as part of the application, you sign a statement saying that the cover is issued on condition that the details given are true.

Advertisement